Official Review: Why Live Fat by Carlton Adams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 45
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 64
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 127
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f**k
Bookshelf Size: 354
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: The Face of Fear by R. J. Torbert
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: Why Live Fat by Carlton Adams

Post by Bianka Walter » 27 Jun 2019, 12:28

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Why Live Fat" by Carlton Adams.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Like many people all over the world, I have spent a good portion of my life watching what I eat, trying to get into a good exercise routine, and of course, that dreaded word: dieting. When I think of how much time I’ve spent on diet and making myself miserable, it's quite pitiful. In his book Why Live Fat, Carlton Adams discusses a different technique to shed unwanted weight. In a nutshell, the method he recommends entails simply eating less. This might seem like a fairly straightforward concept, but there are intricacies that he considers that will help the reader on their path to a smaller, healthier self.

I am somewhat knowledgeable about different diets and plans that people use to lose weight. I have tried numerous fads and most of the time, failed miserably. When I picked up Why Live Fat, I was looking forward to reading what Mr. Adams had to offer. My first impression was that the notion of eating less is too simple an idea to be effective. However, I was immediately captured by his belief that ‘this is not a diet, but a way of life.’ That is a game changer, and for me – I love that he is not trying to sell a get-thin-quick scheme.

One of the main themes in the book is ‘don’t live to eat, eat to live.’ This concept is meant to guide the reader into a mindset where it is not necessary to overindulge. I think everyone has had that feeling of being too full after eating a meal, and, over time, this is what causes our stomachs to stretch. By eating less, we are effectively helping to shrink our stomachs to smaller sizes, and food again becomes something necessary only for survival. This underlying information makes the concepts much easier to grasp and, ultimately, put into practice.

Something that this book is sorely lacking in is structure. There are clearly outlined chapters and sections, but the problem is the repetition. The main themes of the book are repeated persistently throughout. Adams does mention that he will be repeating himself in order to drive his point home, but it makes for a lack in direction. Every chapter has the same bulk, and it makes the segments coalesce. There needs to be more of a definite design for each segment instead of falling back onto what has been repeated previously. I don’t mind a small amount of repetition – but this was too much.

Unfortunately, the editing is also not up to scratch. Nothing that a good proofread can’t fix, though. There are also six pages of definitions toward the end of the book that I would consider shortening. The definitions of words like food, sleep, and family are not necessary for people that are reading at this level.

Because of the elements that I felt were lacking in this guide and because the editing was a bit sloppy, I have come to a final rating of two out of four stars. The idea of eating less in order to lose weight is a truly useful one, and it is something that I will be putting into practice in my life. With some fine-tuning and a solid proofread, this will be a top-notch handbook. People that are looking for healthy ways to lose weight should have a look at what Why Live Fat has to offer.

Why Live Fat
View: on Bookshelves
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

ButterscotchCherrie
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Adult Children
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Christ's return and today's global geopolitical bombshells by Dr. David Liang with Dorothy Liang
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 29 Jun 2019, 00:58

I enjoyed your balanced review. I think it's desirable to work with the appetite and eat just the right amount; if that's all the book says, I'm not surprised things got repetitive and redundant.

Charlie19
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 » 29 Jun 2019, 03:04

The title is so weird but, I somehow agree with your arguments here. Interesting review

Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 181
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: The Good Stuff by Liz Loughlin

Post by Bluebird03 » 29 Jun 2019, 08:41

I love the simple, but accurate, message of this book. And I am with you sister on the diet struggles :) It's a pity about the errors and the repetition. Your review was excellent and is a great reminder for me to get back on board the eating less (and more mindful) train today!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 82
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 265
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Our Time Will Come by Jean Gallant Marcoux

Post by kdstrack » 29 Jun 2019, 15:57

The simple idea of just eating less seems like plain common sense. I've found that one can maintain a routine while at home, but it is the social events that throw everything off kilter! It makes so much sense - now just to put it into practice! Excellent review. Thanks.

Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Music to My Ears (Pre-Release Beta Edition) by Heidi M. Simone

Post by Helene_2008 » 29 Jun 2019, 20:22

My husband loves to go on diets but I am a true believer in not dieting but changing your way of life. Make healthy habits that you do every day, not just for a month! The weight will creep back if you change for just a short period of time. I'd love to read this and learn more about the author's concept of eating less.

Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid » 30 Jun 2019, 03:58

Eating less as a very easy strategy to losing weight. Other strategies like exercising are a waste of time and resources. My husband spends more than 5 hours payday on exercising and I feel like he's wasting time and there better things you could do with this time like spending more time with family. I would definitely recommend this book to to anyone who wants to lose weight. Thanks for the wonderful review and I'm happy that you read this book. Very informative.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Learning to trust yourself by Lisa Flannigan

Post by kandscreeley » 01 Jul 2019, 08:59

Honestly? I lost a lot of weight by simply eating less, and I've kept it off for over 10 years now. It really does work, but it's too simple for people to understand. It's too bad, then, that this book isn't organized well. I hope the author can edited it and get his message out there.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Bianka Walter

Post by Bianka Walter » 01 Jul 2019, 11:03

ButterscotchCherrie wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 00:58
I enjoyed your balanced review. I think it's desirable to work with the appetite and eat just the right amount; if that's all the book says, I'm not surprised things got repetitive and redundant.
Yep, that was kinda the gist. I know what you mean, working with your appetite would be a fabulous thing. Maybe one day my brain and my stomach will talk, instead of my brain and my eyes...
Thanks for the comments :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 252
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: The Vine and the Cross by Jean Marie Ivey

Post by Cecilia_L » 01 Jul 2019, 15:00

Eating less is a pretty common-sense approach. Since the author isn't really saying anything new, I would hope for a more organized and edited guide. The title is such a turn-off, too! Thanks for your honest review.

InStoree
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 130
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Joy of Uber Driving - by Yamini Redewill

Post by InStoree » 02 Jul 2019, 01:00

I love food and I love sweets. And of course, this blessing has a side effect on my body. I haven't read this book yet, but I support the idea of "don't live to eat, eat to live". For a few years, I apply it as it brought beneficial effects that balance my appetite with a healthier body and lifestyle. I've also found that truly savouring each bite, can change the perception of what you eat.

I really enjoyed your review. It has a personal note, but professional too. Loved it!
Through reading, I can travel from ancient times to the distant future, from factual events to... beyond imagination.

Through writing, I have the chance to shift into a chameleon.

CommMayo
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 110
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: &lifegoeson by major thomas
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo » 03 Jul 2019, 12:52

Interesting book and review. I'm sure he touches on the importance of cutting out the empty foods and making sure you are getting proper nutrition.

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 195
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: The Tails/Tales of Fin and Fang by Kat Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 03 Jul 2019, 17:19

It sounds like this book delivers a great message to those who have been struggling to lose weight. I like that it breaks down "just eat less" into something that sounds manageable and helpful to the reader. Hopefully the author will take your advice and fix the errors and reduce the repetitiveness. I admit I laughed out loud at your examples of the definitions in the glossary.

cwags89
Currently Reading: California
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwags89.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by cwags89 » 04 Jul 2019, 00:17

There are so many diet books out there and a lot of random people contemplating writing a common sense driven book in hopes of cashing in on the lucrative market. Reading your thorough review, I suspect the author is attempting to package a weak, over-simplified argument that will probably do more damage than good. The damage may consist of only a few dollars out of a consumer's pocket or cause any amount of frustration while suffering a setback of a failed weight loss attempt. Each weight goal failure has the potential to lessen a person's future resolve, and no matter what, it will take resolve and a good dose of self-esteem to create new habits and push through the obstacles before results begin to reward the individual. Weight loss is not as simple as cutting back portions repeatedly. Weight loss won't happen at all if the calories are cut too low. And that is a fact.

I suspect that I would agree with your rating of 2 out of 4 if I were to read this book. But I won't be giving this writer my time or my money. Thank you for an honest review.

Bianka Walter

Post by Bianka Walter » 05 Jul 2019, 05:33

Charlie19 wrote:
29 Jun 2019, 03:04
The title is so weird but, I somehow agree with your arguments here. Interesting review
Thanks so much - the title is a bit odd :)
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”