Official Review: Storm Watch by True Kirk

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Renu G
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: Journey to a Safe Harbor
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: the Savage Surrogate by Dorothy May Mercer

Official Review: Storm Watch by True Kirk

Post by Renu G » 26 Jun 2019, 12:42

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Storm Watch" by True Kirk.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Eunique has recently been through a divorce. With her dread for change, it is a difficult time. She had wanted it forever. One day, she is surprised by a phone call from her friend Marisa, trying to convince her to purchase a property that is beyond her means. She finally becomes the owner of Storm Watch, a bed-and-breakfast business in Brookings. It is a working woman’s dream come true. An old acquaintance, Therrin, happens to see her at the airport and follows her. Does she resemble his fiancée, Yvonne, who gave birth to Sierra? He has been heartbroken after her death in an accident and lost a battle for the custody of his daughter. As an attorney, he helps Eunique with the legalities of the deal, but she does not want a man in her life during this phase in her life.

However, she soon discovers that she has fallen in love with Therrin too. In the meanwhile, Therrin is overjoyed at being reunited with Sierra. There are twists and turns in the story, with the addition of an element of mystery. The woman is overwhelmed with threats from an unknown person, and Therrin comes to her rescue by hiring an investigator. There are so many problems that she fears losing her property. Sierra’s love brings Eunique and Therrin closer to each other.

Storm Watch by True Kirk is a relaxing fictional read about this black businesswoman in America. What I liked most is that she embraces the challenges in her life gracefully and with an open heart, despite her fear of change. It begins on a sad note but soon picks up speed and excitement, also bringing in some aspects of African culture to make it a rich and entertaining experience. As a woman, the author offers a unique flavor to the story of Eunique, the protagonist of the novel, whose character development is feminine, feminist, and artistically presented.

There are marvelous coincidences at every turn. Whenever there is a loss, something happens to bring hope. At the right moment, the right person walks into their lives to set things right. The indoor and outdoor scenes are artistic and beautiful. The story could make a good movie. My only complaint about this novel is that the names of the characters are strange and do not seem to convey their gender, thus impacting the flow of reading. One has to pause every time the name is mentioned, to connect it with the story.

I am pleased to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The author has creatively woven the story. I found a few grammatical errors, but they seemed to have been inserted deliberately to make the dialogues sound real. There are characters with differing levels of fluency in English. I did not award it 4 stars because the first part of the novel was slow and confusing. It later became interesting. I comprehended it better when I read it a second time. It will appeal to men and women who wish to refresh themselves after a tiring day. Women who are ambitious about their careers and love family life will enjoy reading the story.

Storm Watch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Magnify3 » 28 Jun 2019, 01:55

Thanks for the review and great job! I can see myself reading this book!

LeeleeByoma
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading: Lost and Love: Thailand
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeleebyoma.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by LeeleeByoma » 28 Jun 2019, 06:31

This book sounds absolutely delicious. The infusion of African culture is always a win. Thanks for this review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Post by kandscreeley » 28 Jun 2019, 08:53

Interesting that this is listed under non-fiction. It sounds interesting; I love the idea of her getting a bed and breakfast. However, it's not a genre I normally read. Thanks, though!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Favorite Book: The Turn
Currently Reading: No Rest for the Wicked
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Letora » 28 Jun 2019, 10:15

I've read similar books but having the African culture added in would be a new twist. Were the names traditional African names? I could see how that might cause confusion. I struggle with cultural names sometimes just because I'm not used to them. Were there any nicknames used that could help? Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 28 Jun 2019, 13:03

The unfamiliar names struck me also. At first I read Enrique - until I saw you said it was "her". Then I saw that it seems like the author has spelled 'unique' in a creative way. Either way, these are unfamiliar names and readers would have a difficult time relating to them. I enjoyed your insightful comments! Thanks.

Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Melissa & Kasho by Camilla Chance

Post by Shadiid » 30 Jun 2019, 04:16

Wow this book can be an encouraging piece to someone facing similar situations, divorce ,threats or loss of property and money. I feel like the woman is very strong yet has her weaknesses and this review has successfully portrayed that.

lucia_kizas
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 160
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas » 30 Jun 2019, 07:13

kdstrack wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 13:03
The unfamiliar names struck me also. At first I read Enrique - until I saw you said it was "her". Then I saw that it seems like the author has spelled 'unique' in a creative way. Either way, these are unfamiliar names and readers would have a difficult time relating to them. I enjoyed your insightful comments! Thanks.
That is exactly what happened to me :) I read Enrique, and had to reread the name once I learned Eunique was a woman :)

Janalyn101
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 150
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Janalyn101 » 30 Jun 2019, 10:10

With the things people or naming their children these days I don’t see how the name unique throws anyone off. That is the only abnormal name I saw. In any event I love African-American books. Having lived in a very multi cultural neighborhood for over 20 years abnormal names or normal to me and my children. I hope I can get through the part that you said was confusing, because I would like to read this book. If it is half as good as your review I’m sure I’m going to love it as this was a really good review! Again, thanks for the great review! :tiphat:

Wambui-nj
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 47
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Wambui-nj » 03 Jul 2019, 14:04

I would love to read this book. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”