Review by Sinclairess -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Sinclairess
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sinclairess.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review by Sinclairess -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Sinclairess » 25 Jun 2019, 16:11

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery is an inspiring autobiography. When he was a young child his first job was being the paperboy, and he moved on to have his own ice cream trike. Next, he pursued record (music) management and events. From there he enters cycling when he reaches adulthood, and after that he moves on to real estate. Though he did not stick with cycling forever, Newbery explains the term “burn zone” as a short period of great effort that separates winners and losers. Throughout the book this term is used for more than cycling. Life has many burn zones, and this point is emphasized adequately from beginning to end.

I enjoy that this book is a product of its time. I did not expect it to be so historically rich. There are many notable people and celebrities that the author meets. There are so many honorable mentions that it makes me want to do a bit of research to enlighten myself. The author seems like a very thoughtful individual because every milestone that is explained is tied to the past. It is fascinating to read because Newbery makes you feel like you are right there with him, making and repeating history. The tone is consistently wise, because Newbery reminded me of how periodic life is.

The best part of the book is the photos! It is so endearing to see real moments the author has experienced. It makes the autobiography more parallel. Family and friends are an important topic in this book. Seeing the photos makes the connection between author and reader stronger. There are also several articles and excerpts from various points in the timeline in addition to the photos. The use of visual media is very pleasing.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I only found a few errors. The errors were mostly minor grammar mistakes, but I think the book was professionally edited. The formatting is flawless and easy on the eyes. It is engaging, relevant, and well-written. In a way it is even educational because it is historically accurate. I also learned quite a bit about real estate. It is obvious that Newbery is knowledgeable in his chosen fields. Other than the errors, there is personally nothing that I did not like about the book.

I recommend this book for someone who wants to read non-fiction. Everything that has happened in this book is true, so it may not be time to read it if you are looking for something more abstract. In a way, this book is also a self-help book. There is a raw sense of ambition, perseverance, and dedication. Newbery encourages the reader to get through the tough times, the “burn zones”, even if it isn’t guaranteed that you’ll emerge. I found a great sense of power from this. And I hope others will too. The best advice I’ve grasped from this book is:
“Others around you are hurting just as much as you. Focus on enduring the pain until the pace slows. The effort will get easier soon.” (page 7)
Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”