Official Review: Man of the World by Graham Hughes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Official Review: Man of the World by Graham Hughes

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Man of the World" by Graham Hughes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have never imagined that someone could take up a mission to be the first person to visit every country in the world without flying. This is because it sounds hilarious and pretty impossible for me to fathom. Hence, when I picked this book for review, I had many expectations. I am glad that the author didn’t disappoint as the book was very captivating right from the first chapter to the finish. Man of the world by Graham Hughes is the first book in the Odyssey expedition series. It is an addictive novel with a mixture of adventures, histories, and actions.

In this epic novel, the author planned to visit 192 member states of the United Nations including Taiwan, Palestine, Kosovo, and all other recognized territories of the world. He agreed to follow some basic rules of the challenge to satisfy the folks at Guinness World Records. He was not allowed to travel by plane or helicopter, nor drive his own car, nor hitchhike as part of the journey. He must step foot on dry land in each territory, use the public transportation systems, and use varieties of maritime transportation system if necessary to cross the sea. Also, a visit to a far-flung territory does not count as a visit to the motherland. The author believes that it is not possible to describe the incredible people, history, and culture of all the places he had visited in one book. Therefore, this first part of the book covers the first 12 months and 133 countries of the expedition. It basically covers the author’s journey through the America, Europe, and Africa. This part also includes his visit to the Indian Ocean island nations of Comoros, Madagascar, Mauritius, and Seychelles.

The book was very entertaining and amusing. It should be worthy to note that completing the challenge was a tough nut to crack for the author as he undergoes many adversities along the way. The major ones being that he was incarcerated and tossed into an awful little prison for six days in Cape Verde just because the police thought that he was into people smuggling. To add salt to an injury, he was further arrested and thrown into a filthy, stinking, mosquito-ridden cell for about a week in the Republic of Congo for no definite reasons or because the police didn’t want him on their land even with his complete papers.

When I read the first few chapters, it was a page-turner. I was fascinated by the author’s enthusiasm for adventures. The author’s humorous writing was second to none. Hughes wrote the book in a clear, logical, and precise manner. The novel was fast-paced as he didn’t drag any issues for too long. I cherished the information cards that he included in the ending part of each chapter. These information cards include a map that shows the location of each country, the capital, its language, currency, and population. All of these were extremely helpful. It made it easier for me to visualize and keep track of the author’s movement throughout the expedition.

Man of the World by Graham Hughes was an informative read for me. The only thing that I dislike about the novel at first was that the author didn’t take his time to visit the major cities and capitals of most countries. However, this was not a major turn-off for me because I realize that the author was on a crushing deadline to finish the expedition so as to get back to his lover, Mandy.

Author Hughes did an excellent job in giving this breath-taking account of his attempt to set a Guinness Records by visiting every country in the world. I noticed a few punctuations and grammatical errors which didn’t distract my reading interest. These minor errors were not enough to justify a deduction of one star. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is because I enjoyed almost everything about the novel and It was explicitly edited. I am very eager for the release of the second part. Therefore, I recommend this book to adventurers, tourists, and backpackers.

Man of the World
View: on Bookshelves | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Ikigai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikigai.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Ikigai »

Wow! :shock: What a life challenge! His goal has high standards. There's no wonder that obstacles, like incarceration, cross his path. A book with adventures from 133 countries sounds that it doesn't allow you to get bored :) Thank you for your captivating review!
Dawud Adaviruku

Thank you for stopping and for your nice comments.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Ozone Therapy for the Treatment of Viruses by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

A book of adventures, sounds pretty interesting.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Ozone Therapy for the Treatment of Viruses by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

A book of adventures, sounds pretty interesting. I'm curious to read about his arrest in Congo and Cape Verde. That almost never happen to whites in Africa.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Pearl in the Sand
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! That's quite a challenge the author took upon himself. I can't even imagine the experiences he had; it's great that this book was written, so that we could experience them as well. Thanks so much for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

A book about adventure! Sounds thrilling, and I would love to visit the world through the author's eyes. Beautiful review and will definetely check out the book.
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

I cannot even begin to fathom the logistical torture he went through and the absolute need to approach his adventure with bravery and strength. Thank you for a great review
Dawud Adaviruku

Michelle Fred wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 04:51 A book of adventures, sounds pretty interesting.
Sure. It is a very interesting book. Thank you for stopping by.
Dawud Adaviruku

Michelle Fred wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 04:53 A book of adventures, sounds pretty interesting. I'm curious to read about his arrest in Congo and Cape Verde. That almost never happen to whites in Africa.
Yes exactly, it's actually a rear thing to see whites being arrested in Africa. I think the author was just a bit unlucky to have met some angry looking officers particularly in Congo. As for Cape Verde, the officers clearly mistakes him for a "people smuggler" due to the shabby letter that they recieved from his mother beforehand . Thank you for your thoughtful comments!
Dawud Adaviruku

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 09:23 Wow! That's quite a challenge the author took upon himself. I can't even imagine the experiences he had; it's great that this book was written, so that we could experience them as well. Thanks so much for the review.
Yeah, it was a quite a big challenge indeed. I'm glad that he was able to complete the challenge despite the obstacles. Thank you for commenting on my review!
Dawud Adaviruku

Wambui-nj wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 12:59 A book about adventure! Sounds thrilling, and I would love to visit the world through the author's eyes. Beautiful review and will definetely check out the book.
I'm sure you won't regret checking it out. Thank you for stopping by.
Dawud Adaviruku

Dee_218 wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 19:29 I cannot even begin to fathom the logistical torture he went through and the absolute need to approach his adventure with bravery and strength. Thank you for a great review
Thank you for stopping by and for commenting on my review!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

Wow! What an incredible challenge for a person, and a wonderful storyline for a book. I am so intrigued right now... thanks for this excellent review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Dawud Adaviruku

Meg98 wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 22:54 Wow! What an incredible challenge for a person, and a wonderful storyline for a book. I am so intrigued right now... thanks for this excellent review!
Thank you for your nice comments.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”