Review by B Creech -- Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review by B Creech -- Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Executive Hoodlum" by John Costello.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Executive Hoodlum: Negotiating On The Corner of Main And Mean by John Costello with Larry Elder is the story of Costello's life growing up in Chicago and California. As you follow the author's experience from childhood to the present, you will marvel at the strength and perseverance John Costello had to overcome the trauma he faced as a child.

John's father was abusive not only to John and his siblings but to their mother as well. John Costello, Sr. (A.K.A. Mario Casini) was allegedly affiliated with the mob in Chicago. Mario also had an excellent singing voice; however, he preferred conning people out of their hard earned money. John's father wanted him to be tough and mean and expected him to join the "Chicago Outfit" (the mob) when he was grown. Growing up in rough neighborhoods in Chicago and California, being abused by his father, seeing his father abuse his mother and being forced to rub elbows with mobsters was enough to make anyone mean. Suffice it to say John's childhood was anything but ordinary. His mother encouraged his interest in school and athletics, and he worked hard to excel in both areas. During his school years, playing sports became his outlet from home. Although his father didn't believe in education, John still managed to go to college and get a degree. After college, he moved back to California, where he obtained a great job with a semiconductor-processing company specializing in military, space, and medical markets. Finally, it seemed his life was moving away from the past until he heard from his father, who wanted John to come back to Chicago and manage his singing career.

The author's story leads the reader through the core of mob life to street fights, to abuse at home, to a level of affluence as a top executive with prominent friends. John's story will make you laugh; make you cry; make you angry at his situation, and sometimes make you shake your head in wonder at how one man could be part of two such different worlds. What I liked most about this book was how the narrative was written to reflect the actual tone of the characters. At times I felt as if I was actually witnessing the action in person instead of reading it from a book. What I disliked most was the strong language used at times, although the story would not have been realistic without it.

The book was exceptionally well edited as I found only 2 errors consisting of a missing comma and a misspelled word which did not detract from the story in any way. Therefore, it is with pleasure I give Executive Hoodlum: Negotiating On The Corner Of Main And Mean by John Costello with Larry Elder 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to anyone who loves a good memoir, and to anyone who enjoys a story filled with action and danger. Those who may be offended by strong language and graphic details of violence may want to choose a different type of memoir as there are both in this one; however, it is a story you don't want to miss if you can handle those issues.

Executive Hoodlum
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”