Review by KitabuKizuri -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
KitabuKizuri
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 245
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by KitabuKizuri -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by KitabuKizuri » 23 Jun 2019, 13:21

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones is a book written by Jorge P. Newberry and published by Community Books LLC. It is an inspiring non-fiction story with ten chapters about the author's business and personal life from childhood to maturity.

Mr. Newberry started working at a very young age, first as a newspaper delivery boy, scaling up to the point he started selling ice cream and interviewing rock bands by the time he was in his mid-teens.

He eventually dropped out of school to focus on business, a move that saw him grow to the point of getting into real estate. This wasn't without a few other career detours that include competitive cycling. His story is in fact based on a stage in cycling called the 'burn zone', a tough period in the sport which eliminates the best from the best.

His burn zone happened to be a point in his life when he lost possession of a property he was in the process of renovating. He explains his struggles against city authorities that machinated a scheme to repossess his property, despite his efforts to renovate it after a natural disaster caused a lot of damage to amenities.

I like most the fact that the author's story is as true as it is stranger than fiction. It also highlights the author's open-minded ways of solving societal problems which people can borrow lessons from, especially those working with marginalized minority groups. Since he was born to an Argentine father and British mother, he could easily identify with blacks and Hispanics. This is part of the reason he is able to emphasize with their struggles, as well as other 'outsiders' and the punk crowd. The pictures included in the text also makes his story more relatable and authentic.

What I disliked most had to do with how authorities and the law works against well-meaning people, according to the author's account. It is little to do with the book itself. Some media personalities' role in the author's downfall can leave a bad taste in the mouth of the reader as well. There isn't much I found to dislike about the actual book.

I would recommend this book to those who like real life stories, autobiographies, those in real estate and housing finance. A lot can be learned from the work the author has been doing, given his experience as a loan originator and a real estate mogul. These roles come together beautifully in his role as the founder of American Homeowner Preservation.

I never saw any spelling errors throughout the book. It is well arranged and is (very) easy to read and comprehend. I rate the book with 4 out of 4 stars.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

KitabuKizuri
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 245
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by KitabuKizuri » 25 Jun 2019, 11:01

Apologies for misspelling the author's name :doh: