Review by S4ms0n -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
S4ms0n
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s4ms0n.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by S4ms0n -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by S4ms0n » 21 Jun 2019, 06:41

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jorge P. Newbery describes "Burn Zones" as parts of a racing track, which separate winners from losers, due to the tremendous effort it takes to get through them. The metaphor is taken out of his bicycle racing career and used throughout the entire book Burn Zones to describe the most difficult parts of Jorge P. Newbery's life.

He starts his autobiography at the age of seven, when he earned his first dollar, by becoming a paperboy. Impressively he got the Job by racing after the newspaper delivery car and convincing them that, despite his very young age, he could take the responsibility. This attitude towards his work and life seemed to pay off for most of his adulthood. Jorge P. Newbery describes his extraordinary lifeful of hard work while viewing the work as " a big game of Monopoly", in such a perfect manner, that the reader gets the impression that oneself could do the same if one only tried hard enough. Despite the many "Burn Zones" that occurred throughout the author's life, he somehow always manages to not only get through them but also learn from them.

The book not only visualizes what hard work and putting in the effort can do for you but also teaches a lot of valuable life lessons and interesting knowledge about a variety of topics. These include Punk Bands, Argentinian culture, Police Brutality, Real Estate and how to build up a functioning community out of the ruins society left behind. Also, it naturally gives a lot of insight into bike racing.

I personally wouldn't say that I was particularly interested in most of these topics before I read the book, but decided to read it because of the way Jorge P. Newbery dealt with the challenges that occurred in his life. So it's safe to say for me, that regardless of your interest in Icecream selling and mortgages, the book is worth a read. I can recommend it to literally anybody from ages six to hundred. Especially to those who are facing their own "Burn Zones" at the moment. It's hard to give up on hope when reading about Jorge's life and his way of dealing with it. This book not only made me realize that everybody can achieve literally anything with the right attitude, but also that however sticky your situation seems, you will get out eventually if you only keep on fighting.

I have absolutely no critic about the content, style, grammar or spelling in the book, which leads me to believe that it was professionally edited. The book is written in an easy to follow the style and readable in only a few hours. Also, it has some pictures which bring you even closer to the author. Jorge P. Newbery shows no shame towards his own emotions and thoughts, which has the benefit of the reader being able to really understand his choices and motives, which makes it even easier to follow and get swallowed by this book.

All these factors lead me to my 4 out of 4 stars rating because this book and especially its author deserve nothing less.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”