Official Review: Free Bird: A Memoir by Amber White

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
prospero360
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 144
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero360.html
Latest Review: Citizen of Earth by Joseph Kassabian

Official Review: Free Bird: A Memoir by Amber White

Post by prospero360 » 18 Jun 2019, 01:25

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Free Bird: A Memoir" by Amber White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Free Bird: A Memoir, by Amber White, details the author's relationship with her "Dad." Starting with her experiences as a child, the author gives different descriptions of her father as self-centered, crazy, different, controlling, and a daredevil. Growing up under her father's care was always going to be tough, as she struggled with understanding him, not feeling loved by him, and the many bad examples set by him among other things.

These experiences affect the author in so many ways, particularly in her romantic relationships and her career as a juvenile correction officer, as she almost always went in the direction of trying to save people from themselves. In spite of all this, she still sees her father as her greatest teacher. How did she thrive growing up and how do these experiences and lessons shape her personality?

Firstly, I found this to be a very emotional read as I watched the author struggle with a range of emotions as she grew. The different tones used in the story perfectly reflected her emotions of sadness, anger, confusion, love, and gratitude. The story is drama filled and very captivating, and I couldn't imagine putting it down once I started. Amber's father certainly lived an adventurous life doing whatever he wanted, as he believed that "if it felt good it couldn’t be bad." However, as readers feel the excitement of following his interesting fun-filled life, it will be hard to ignore the effects of this lifestyle on his family, especially Amber's mother. Readers will also get a background story on Amber's dad and see how his upbringing, as he got whatever he wanted from his mother, affected his personality.

Another fascinating character of Amber's dad I noticed was his ability to get one to do his bidding or agree with him. The author said a lot about this attribute throughout the novel, but I experienced it first hand in the letters he wrote to Amber trying to explain his actions when he did something wrong. Including these letters showed things from his perspective and may give some readers a different view of some of the events that happened in the story. One thing I expected from a free-spirited daredevil, like Amber's dad, was his eventual drug addiction. The effects of his bad habits on the family's finances were explored as well.

Amidst her bad experiences growing up, there were good relationships that were sources of strength and love for Amber, like her relationship with her maternal grandparents, her father's friend, Chuck, and her best friend, Deedee. These relationships were a breath of fresh air, not just for Amber, but for me as I read.

Free Bird is exceptionally well edited, as I didn't find a single error throughout the book and this made my read flow seamlessly. I can't think of anything I dislike about this book. Reading about Amber's experiences with her father and her path to self-discovery conveyed a lot of lessons. Forgiveness is another key theme of the story that I enjoyed. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to lovers of memoirs and drama-filled stories. People that have struggled with love and tough experiences growing up will easily relate to this story. However, the inclusion of drugs and the occasional use of a strong language means that this book isn't appropriate for a younger audience.

Free Bird: A Memoir
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: The Depth of Grace
Bookshelf Size: 750
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: The Passions & Perils of the Prodigy by GJ Neumann

Post by Kibetious » 09 Jul 2019, 23:55

This is a wonderful book. It shows how some people are always able to convince others and Amber's dad is a perfect example of this. Thanks a lot for the review.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 67
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Jessie and the Shimmering Withywicks by Viv Walker

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 10 Jul 2019, 06:07

Thanks for the great review! It sounds like an emotional read.

Bhaskins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by Bhaskins » 10 Jul 2019, 06:31

He sounds a bit like my dad. More and more I’ve been enjoying reading about other people and their lives. Your review of this book makes me want to read this next.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Post by kandscreeley » 10 Jul 2019, 09:36

It sounds like the author dealt with a lot growing up, but she turned it into something positive and grew from it. I admire her for that. It says a lot about her. Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Mangata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Mangata » 10 Jul 2019, 09:44

Parents have such a huge influence in children's growth. Amber's life seems to be filled with experiences that, on one hand, help her build her personality, on the other, affected her future. Although, it sounds a bit too emotional for me, I think I'll have a look on it. Your review has an convincing touch. Thanks!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 11 Jul 2019, 15:39

Amber's story emphasizes the impact that parents have on their children's life. I'm glad she included the letters from her father, so readers can get form their own impression of her father's perspective. Great review. Thanks!

Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by Helene_2008 » 11 Jul 2019, 20:54

I can't imagine having such a free-spirited dad, but I could relate to the controlling part. It sounds like Amber had a difficult childhood. I'd love to read more and see how it affected her.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”