Official Review: Sharks, Space, Time

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Post Reply
User avatar
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 2852
Joined: 08 Jun 2018, 22:16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: A Year on the Tump by Daniel P.T. Thomas

Official Review: Sharks, Space, Time

Post by Cecilia_L » 17 Jun 2019, 06:10

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sharks, Space, Time" by George C. Schellenger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review


"I wanted to be a television journalist, I made it happen; I wanted to spend my life diving with sharks, I made it happen; I wanted to work in the aerospace industry, I made it happen."

As an Emmy Award-winning producer and journalist with over 30 years of experience, George C. Schellenger reviews his life lessons in Sharks, Space, Time: Field Notes from a Road Less Traveled. The author has worked for media brands such as AOL Time Warner and Microsoft while utilizing his corporate background to help advance his passions, including shark conservation and space travel. He originally started his lists as a way to document one year's events before beginning another. However, the lists have been so well received that they inspired the book. As he shares his notes from the road less traveled, he explores a broad range of topics including the power of the mind, shark diving, Project Apollo and space exploration, achieving goals, time travel, meditation, sleep as a destination, broken journalism, and letting go.

There's a lot to like about this engaging short read, but don't let the book's mere 117 pages fool you; it's organized, well written, and professionally edited. One doesn't need to be brave enough to swim with sharks to take away something from its pages. The title seems to suggest somewhat of a narrow target audience, but as a result of the author's diverse range of topics, there is a little something for everyone. The author describes the book as "a biography in the age of social media." However, many aspects of it are uplifting and motivational.

I particularly like the author's writing style, which is straightforward and simultaneously conveys gratitude and a zest for life. "Count your blessings, be grateful, and give thanks at the end of every day. I recently read, 'What if you woke up with only the things you were thankful for the day before?'." His attitude of gratitude is consistent throughout the book, whether he is discussing diving with sharks or movies and music that have impacted his life. At the same time, the author doesn't shy away from talking about difficult seasons in his life. I appreciate his candor as he recounts his experiences with depression.

I can't name a thing I dislike or a suggestion for improvement. I'm pleased to rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. Due to the author's engaging writing style and the diversity of topics, I recommend it to any reader whose interest is piqued after reading the review.

******
Sharks, Space, Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!

User avatar
Meg98
Posts: 196
Joined: 31 Mar 2019, 22:10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Meg98 » 18 Jun 2019, 21:05

Wow! This sounds like a very interesting read, from a very accomplished author. I like the fact that this book covers a lot of different topics and experiences. Your review has intrigued me, and I think I will check this one out. Excellent job!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

User avatar
Wriley
Posts: 180
Joined: 06 Jan 2019, 18:09
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Wriley » 18 Jun 2019, 22:01

I had no idea this was an autobiographical type book. I just thought the name sounded cool. This book does sound very interesting and I plan to read. It's great that the author was able to overcome depression and but the lows as well as highs into the book.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein

Nivi Gideon
Posts: 217
Joined: 09 Mar 2019, 07:43
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: If you looked at me... by Wanda Remmers

Post by Nivi Gideon » 19 Jun 2019, 07:08

I thought it was something relating to fantasy, who knew it was biographical?! I've heard of this author before and his works and will definitely give this book a read!

User avatar
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 2852
Joined: 08 Jun 2018, 22:16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: A Year on the Tump by Daniel P.T. Thomas

Post by Cecilia_L » 19 Jun 2019, 11:55

Meg98 wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 21:05
Wow! This sounds like a very interesting read, from a very accomplished author. I like the fact that this book covers a lot of different topics and experiences. Your review has intrigued me, and I think I will check this one out. Excellent job!
Thank you.

User avatar
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 2852
Joined: 08 Jun 2018, 22:16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: A Year on the Tump by Daniel P.T. Thomas

Post by Cecilia_L » 19 Jun 2019, 11:55

Wriley wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 22:01
I had no idea this was an autobiographical type book. I just thought the name sounded cool. This book does sound very interesting and I plan to read. It's great that the author was able to overcome depression and but the lows as well as highs into the book.
Thanks for your comment.

User avatar
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 2852
Joined: 08 Jun 2018, 22:16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: A Year on the Tump by Daniel P.T. Thomas

Post by Cecilia_L » 19 Jun 2019, 11:56

Nivi Gideon wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 07:08
I thought it was something relating to fantasy, who knew it was biographical?! I've heard of this author before and his works and will definitely give this book a read!
Thanks for stopping by.

User avatar
Nisha Ward
Posts: 1249
Joined: 04 Feb 2019, 15:00
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading: Breach
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide to Zombies by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 19 Jun 2019, 14:22

Cecilia_L wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 06:10
As an Emmy Award-winning producer and journalist with over 30 years of experience, George C. Schellenger reviews his life lessons in Sharks, Space, Time: Field Notes from a Road Less Traveled. The author has worked for media brands such as AOL Time Warner and Microsoft while utilizing his corporate background to help advance his passions, including shark conservation and space travel.
Schellenger's corporate experiences and interests are oddly very complementary in how sharp one need to be in order to succeed in any of them. I'm sure they'd be worth the time to find out more about as a whole but I'm most curious about his passions, more so than his previous jobs. Very interesting book.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

User avatar
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 2852
Joined: 08 Jun 2018, 22:16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: A Year on the Tump by Daniel P.T. Thomas

Post by Cecilia_L » 20 Jun 2019, 09:33

Nisha Ward wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 14:22
Cecilia_L wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 06:10
As an Emmy Award-winning producer and journalist with over 30 years of experience, George C. Schellenger reviews his life lessons in Sharks, Space, Time: Field Notes from a Road Less Traveled. The author has worked for media brands such as AOL Time Warner and Microsoft while utilizing his corporate background to help advance his passions, including shark conservation and space travel.
Schellenger's corporate experiences and interests are oddly very complementary in how sharp one need to be in order to succeed in any of them. I'm sure they'd be worth the time to find out more about as a whole but I'm most curious about his passions, more so than his previous jobs. Very interesting book.
Thanks for your comment, Nisha.

Post Reply

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”