Official Review: I am a Warrior by Barbara Mills

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
sarahmarlowe
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
2018 Reading Goal: 70
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading: Stand Against Injustice
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The Light In The Woods by Cherie Miller
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: I am a Warrior by Barbara Mills

Post by sarahmarlowe » 16 Jun 2019, 21:35

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I am a Warrior" by Barbara Mills.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"My body was fighting and I felt so weak. I hate feeling weak.... Even to this day, after cancer I am still coming to terms with my physical limitations." (pages 99-100)

The battle against breast cancer often lasts for the rest of a survivor's life. Barbara Mills is fighting such a battle, and she details her struggle in I am a Warrior: My Journey through Cancer. This book, written primarily in journal form, is an honest, detailed journey through her diagnosis, treatment, and subsequent side effects. She prepares a framework for readers with information about her family background, marriage ups and downs, and work history. Mills writes transparently; after reading the book, I feel as if I know her. The book includes personal touches like thoughts from her husband and sons. She also unashamedly shares pictures of her journey, complete with portraits made post-mastectomy.

Mills describes her months of treatments, saying she was both scared and numb. While she faced an overwhelming number of procedures, the numbness helped her to get through her battle one step at a time. She says the most unpleasant part she experienced was waiting — waiting for appointments, waiting for results, and waiting for what was next.

In medical regard, Mills discusses the possible causes and early diagnoses of cancers. Asserting that we often know our bodies better than doctors do, she suggests that people request blood tests if we feel something is "off." She believes that many people are diagnosed too late because some symptoms don't present to doctors right away. Mills also wonders if stress and depression are as much of a factor in getting cancer as environmental factors and genetics. She explains that she had been through several stressful life events before her diagnosis, including many accidents and health events which caused stress on her body.

She is completely straightforward when discussing the side effects of chemotherapy: nausea, mouth sores, diarrhea, and more. She makes suggestions to people going through chemo, including using the famous magic mouthwash! She finds it funny that everyone simply calls it "magic mouthwash," and I agree! She calls it that in Canada, and we call it that here in the US.

Cancer can take many things, but it will also give you perspective. Mills was off work so long that her outlook on life changed. I enjoyed reading her discovery that her job did not define her. She was no longer a worker. She was a woman, a warrior, with a purpose outside of her career.

Much of her journey sounded familiar to me, a breast cancer survivor. I enjoyed her honest and transparent approach to her story. I thought a couple of times I might have to step away from the book because several things transported me back emotionally. However, I kept reading and found connections and affirmation. It was comforting to discover that I wasn't the only one who endured some of the same struggles, who had some of the same thoughts.

I give this candid journal 2 out of 4 stars. Barbara Mills has great courage in sharing her story, and she is, indeed, a warrior. As much as I enjoyed it, I am taking one star from my rating for editing and one for textual issues. There are many editing errors, including spelling and punctuation, and there are also some organizational issues. For instance, the first chapter repeats most of the information in the Introduction. Additionally, there are confusing sections as verb tenses often shift from past to present and back again.

This book would appeal to people wanting to understand the honest details of how a breast cancer diagnosis changes a life. Prospective readers should know that it includes adult language and post-surgical photos.

I am a Warrior
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sarahmarlowe's review? Post a comment saying so!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Post by kandscreeley » 18 Jun 2019, 08:29

Cancer is such a horrible word; it's too prevalent any more. I do admire the author for being willing to speak out about her journey. I hope that she's able to fix the errors to make this appeal to the widest audience possible. Thanks for the introduction to it.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: The Diaries of Abi Rhode by S.L. LeClair

Post by Cecilia_L » 18 Jun 2019, 13:08

Much of her journey sounded familiar to me, a breast cancer survivor. I enjoyed her honest and transparent approach to her story. I thought a couple of times I might have to step away from the book because several things transported me back emotionally. However, I kept reading and found connections and affirmation. It was comforting to discover that I wasn't the only one who endured some of the same struggles, who had some of the same thoughts.

The personal details you share add so much depth to the review. Thank you.

Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks » 18 Jun 2019, 14:45

The book is life changing experience.
I love the author's courageousness and willingness to go further ahead and telling a story about her experience as a cancer patient.
Looking forward to reading the book.
Thank you for the incredible and wonderful review.

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Meg98 » 18 Jun 2019, 21:15

Wow. I so admire this author for sharing her experience, which shows immense bravery and courage. Your review is very well written and has intrigued me to read this heart-wrenching book. Excellent job.
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Sushan
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Sushan » 19 Jun 2019, 05:06

I am not much interested in this sort of books buy I enjoyed your review. Thank you 👍👍
"He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help"

Abraham Lincoln

:techie-studyingbrown: $u$han €kanayak€ :techie-studyingbrown:

Nivi Gideon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: If you looked at me... by Wanda Remmers

Post by Nivi Gideon » 19 Jun 2019, 07:04

This book is so close to my heart. It does sound very inspiring and I'm sure will touch so many people who struggle with the disease. Loved reading the review.

sarahmarlowe

Post by sarahmarlowe » 19 Jun 2019, 08:06

kandscreeley wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 08:29
Cancer is such a horrible word; it's too prevalent any more. I do admire the author for being willing to speak out about her journey. I hope that she's able to fix the errors to make this appeal to the widest audience possible. Thanks for the introduction to it.
I agree; cancer is much too prevalent, and this author is very admirable. Thanks for taking time to comment!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

sarahmarlowe

Post by sarahmarlowe » 19 Jun 2019, 08:07

Cecilia_L wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 13:08

The personal details you share add so much depth to the review. Thank you.
Thank you for your kind comment.
sarahmarlowe

sarahmarlowe

Post by sarahmarlowe » 19 Jun 2019, 08:08

Kyoks wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 14:45
The book is life changing experience.
I love the author's courageousness and willingness to go further ahead and telling a story about her experience as a cancer patient.
Looking forward to reading the book.
Thank you for the incredible and wonderful review.
Yes, the author's courage is much to be celebrated. Thanks for stopping by! :tiphat:
sarahmarlowe

sarahmarlowe

Post by sarahmarlowe » 19 Jun 2019, 08:09

Meg98 wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 21:15
Wow. I so admire this author for sharing her experience, which shows immense bravery and courage. Your review is very well written and has intrigued me to read this heart-wrenching book. Excellent job.
Great! I hope you do choose to read this book. The author is truly admirable. Thanks for stopping by!
sarahmarlowe

sarahmarlowe

Post by sarahmarlowe » 19 Jun 2019, 08:10

Sushan wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 05:06
I am not much interested in this sort of books buy I enjoyed your review. Thank you 👍👍
Thanks for taking the time to comment!!
sarahmarlowe

sarahmarlowe

Post by sarahmarlowe » 19 Jun 2019, 08:11

Nivi Gideon wrote:
19 Jun 2019, 07:04
This book is so close to my heart. It does sound very inspiring and I'm sure will touch so many people who struggle with the disease. Loved reading the review.
This author does such a good job detailing her battle. I think others would certainly benefit from the read. Thanks for taking time to comment!
sarahmarlowe

Nisha Ward
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading: Breach
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide to Zombies by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 19 Jun 2019, 10:45

Breast cancer is always difficult to face, but the author seems to have gotten through it admirably so far. That she chose to include the surgical photos is quite interesting as well, and I'm sure that her readers will appreciate her candidness on the topic. Thanks for the review!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 19 Jun 2019, 16:25

So many of us can relate to the author's frustration with -- waiting. It is admirable that, besides sharing her own experience, she includes tips to help others going through the same experience. This sounds like an uplifting, motivational read. Thanks so much for your compelling review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”