Official Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
ZenaLei7
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 165
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 43
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: The Kings' Assassin by Ed Cannon

Official Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by ZenaLei7 » 15 Jun 2019, 04:03

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Non-Disclosure" by George Dapra.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Non-Disclosure, by George Dapra, is a memoir detailing his life from growing up in an Italian-American family to becoming an Inspector at the U.S. Marshal’s Witness Security Program. The main focus of this book centers on Dapra’s experience and role in fighting organized crime through the Witness Security Program.

Growing up in an Italian-American family, George Dapra’s childhood was filled with memorable traditions that included having a Sunday meal at his grandmother’s house. When he first joins the US Air Force he had the chance to go to Korea before being honorably discharged and then went to college. Then, he worked at Hotel Plaza in New York City where he met a few celebrities and famous people. The rest of the book follows Dapra on his journey in the Witness Security Program as he comes across drug kingpins, thugs, and people from the mafia who are all looking for a way out. While he doesn’t outright say the names of some of the people he has dealt with, he refers to the people in the program as Witness 1, Witness 2, etc. In these chapters, he discusses a couple of interesting program members he has come across as well as some of the problems that program members have to face like keeping secrets from family or having to start over in a new city.

In all, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, and there was nothing that I disliked about the book. I thought it was interesting how the author met people from different backgrounds from drug kingpins to famous people like Donald Trump. The author also did a good job in explaining how the Witness Security Program works, its purpose, and dispels any false speculations about the program. The author also includes his trip to Italy where he was able to connect with his relatives and made him more in tune with his roots.

I like how the author included recipes from Italian crime bosses and criminals as well as a family recipe for making pizza. I think this added a nice touch and showed the author’s deep connection with his Italian roots. There were also photos of his family included in the middle of the book with captions underneath it to explain who was in the photo. However, there were some captions that made it seem like some of the photos were not included.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I mainly rated it 3 stars due to the grammatical errors and spelling mistakes that I came across. Besides the errors, I found this book to be an enjoyable read. I would recommend this book to readers who want an inside look into the Witness Security Program.

Non-Disclosure
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham

ivana7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana7.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by ivana7 » 16 Jun 2019, 07:25

I'm already intrigued by the fact that this book is about the Witness Protection Program.
Thank you for an amazing review!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 18 Jun 2019, 10:56

I second Ivana's comment. This is a program that is frequently referenced in television programs and movies. Having some inside information from someone who actually worked with the people who are put into this program would be enlightening. (The recipes look amazing too!) Great review!

CyndiA1
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndia1.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CyndiA1 » 26 Jun 2019, 09:52

I've always been interested in the witness security program, so I'll bet I'd enjoy this book. I really don't like photos in the middle of a book, but I can just skip over those.

Your review was very helpful.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”