Official Review: Diversity: A Reality for America, Racism...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: Diversity: A Reality for America, Racism Still Its Nightmare by Dr. Charles N. Smith

Official Review: Diversity: A Reality for America, Racism...

Post by BriennaiJ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Diversity: A Reality for America, Racism Still Its Nightmare" by Dr. Charles N. Smith.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Diversity: A Reality for America, Racism Still Its Nightmare by Dr. Charles N. Smith is a book about how institutionalized racism has put African Americans at a disadvantage in this country for hundreds of years. The author discusses problems from the way entertainers are portrayed in the media to police brutality in his novel. He also provides solutions on how society could change to start to truly address and remedy these problems for the first time.

The part of this book that hit me the hardest as when Dr. Smith began to discuss how African American students are struggling in college. Even as an African American college student, I did not experience everything that he discussed in this book. Going to a diverse city college is definitely different than attending a larger suburban private or even state college. Even something as simple as joining a fraternity can be dangerous for African American students, as the fraternity Sigma Alpha Epsilon at the University of Oklahoma sang a song that “referenced lynching, indicating that black students would never be allowed to enter their fraternity” in 2015. All of the incidents he referenced made me wonder how my high school classmates, African American and Middle Eastern alike, are doing at the suburban colleges that they chose to attend. The author also provides many solutions to fixing the college issues, which are things that I would even like to tell the faculty at my school to make it easier for African American and poor students to stay the full 4 years and graduate.

I didn’t enjoy the long lists of solutions at the end of each chapter. I understand that Dr. Smith wanted to give his suggestions on how to fix the issues he discussed, but I feel that the suggestions could have been more smoothly weaved into the rest of the novel in a more natural fashion. Including long lists of facts at the end broke my focus as I was reading. If the book had been told in a more “here’s the problem, here’s the solution” way, the overall read would have been more smooth.

I did not notice any technical issues as I read the Kindle version of the book. The long lists of bullet points at the end of each chapter were a bit difficult to get through on an e-reader, as they looked like long walls of text. I would recommend that you purchase the physical copy of this book if you would like to read it, as these walls of text would most likely have more spacing there. There were a few spelling errors, mostly with the author spelling “America” as “American,” but they did not damage my overall reading experience.

I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars. It had a lot of hard-hitting content, but I still had to take off a star for the long lists and the occasional spelling error. I would also recommend purchasing the physical version rather than the Kindle version. I would recommend this novel to anyone looking to learn more about the struggles of African Americans. I would also recommend this to anyone who is a college professor or high school teacher trying to learn about what their students go through.

Diversity: A Reality for America, Racism Still Its Nightmare
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BriennaiJ's review? Post a comment saying so!

Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Precious Memories by James Hackett

Post by Miller56 »

I certainly sympathize with the struggles of African Americans in modern society. I feel that we moved 2 steps forward and 3 steps back in the past 20 years. Unfortunately, this problem applies to many different equality issues. I cannot imagine how difficult some of the racial issues are. It would be interesting to see this authors opinion on changes to be more progressive. With that being said, I am not sure I really want to read this book. It seems like it is time to make change happen, not just write about how we could.
Thanks for the review.

MsH2k
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Armless Hugs
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: The Robin That Could Not Sing by Raymond Dunn

Post by MsH2k »

Thank you for reviewing this book. It sounds like the author spent a bit of time on education. It is so important for every person to have the opportunity to get a good education, not just go to school. A long list of action items would be overwhelming - I agree peppering suggestions throughout would be more helpful. I will pass on this book, but I applaud the author’s effort to maintain visibility to this important issue.
"Do not envy those who appear to be winning, because they may be winning at the wrong thing."
Last Words From Above (Jeremy Brown)

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 359
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Gomo by Tani Shallari

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like an important book. I'm glad that the author presents not only problems but solutions to them as well. Thanks for the review.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Latest Review: Gomo by Tani Shallari

Julius_
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I don't always enjoy books with occasional errors. Neither can I get a physical copy of this book. I think I'll pass it. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”