Review by RosieAnn -- Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RosieAnn
Currently Reading: Something Happened Today
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosieann.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Review by RosieAnn -- Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by RosieAnn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gardening With Guns" by AJ Wootton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review of Gardening with Guns by AJ Wootton

While on a much anticipated family vacation at a friend’s home, AJ Wootton learns of her father’s death at his own hand. This news facilitates the proverbial crumbling of a house of cards. In attempting to come to some understanding regarding her father’s actions, Wootton begins a purposeful journey into her past that has long been tucked away deep in her memory vaults.

Gardening with Guns by AJ Wootton is a story of a woman who, from the time she was a child, faced insurmountable odds. Wootton is only one of millions of children enduring, or have endured, a horrible upbringing involving abuse, neglect, and a lack of love. But unlike millions, she chose to focus on the beautiful, and to use her past as a guide of what not to do. She builds a successful career, has, what she believes, a solid marriage, and is mother to her children in all the ways she longed to have for herself. However, there were red flags in her marriage that she was trying to ignore or convince herself she’d misinterpreted. Her father’s death released a wall in her that was holding her back. She then had the courage she needed to do what had to be done no matter how painful or humiliating. This is the story of a woman who finally comes fully into herself.

Wootton writes her story as a series of reminiscences that are triggered by events following the death of her father. Events that include planning for the funeral, meeting with her stepmother, meeting with the lawyer, and time spent with her brothers.

What I enjoyed the most about the book was the fact that Wootton doesn’t wallow in a sea of self-pity and regret. The open, transparent, and raw telling of the abuse, pain, and humiliation she and her brothers suffered are written with tact and simplicity. She doesn’t rail against the abusers, but you feel her rage and determination to not let it define and consume her. While her story deals with abuse she doesn’t go into extensive detail. Her writing ability is such that you get the picture with very few words. She doesn’t hide the horrible things done to her, and yet she doesn’t use them as an excuse for her own mistakes or bad decisions. Her story also tells of her boldness and her triumphs; of her ability to forgive and learning to love. Wootton's mother has rejected her, but Wootton offers forgiveness and love. The book demonstrates the love between Wootton and her brothers, and it's apparent they are each other's rock.

AJ Wootton is proof that you are who you choose to be. That no matter how bad things are or how evil people are to you, you don’t have to allow it destroy your entire life. You get a sense throughout the book that something powerful and positive is about to happen, and you are not disappointed.

What I liked least about this book is the cryptic title. It’s eye catching and intriguing but not at all what I thought the story would be about. It could be interpreted in many ways. Perhaps that was the author’s intent.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4. I recommend this book to anyone dealing with or have a history of abuse as it can be a great source of encouragement and hope. And even for those who haven’t experienced abuse but may be stuck in the mindset that they have no control over their circumstances, this story of AJ Wootton’s life proves otherwise.

I found the text mostly well edited with only a few errors.

Gardening With Guns
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like RosieAnn's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”