Official Review: The Grey World by Bri McKay

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 67
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Shortcuts by T.L. Criswell

Official Review: The Grey World by Bri McKay

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 11 Jun 2019, 09:08

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Grey World" by Bri McKay.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“If I can survive the war that I battle with myself. I can survive anything.” (healthyplace.com, 2019).

In this informative book, 23-year-old Bri McKay shares her lifelong struggle with bipolar disorder. Through her mother’s experience and her diagnosis at just 7-years-old, she aims to bring awareness to this misunderstood illness. The Grey World was created as a manifesto for all those affected by mental illness.

The book provides information on various topics that are aimed at helping the reader understand the disease. The Grey World by Bri McKay begins with a summary of the illness, common misconceptions, and explores how the disorder is portrayed by the media. Bri then informs the reader about different types of bipolar and describes what happens during a manic episode. The book offers resources for the sufferer and also provides support for family and loved ones. In the last chapter, Bri focuses on treatment options and the next steps. She acknowledges that although living with bipolar disorder is difficult, one should never let their illness define them.

The Grey World is a useful guide for anyone that has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Written by someone who is directly affected by the illness, the self-help book boasts a unique perspective. I appreciate the author’s transparency in relaying her experiences to the reader. She describes struggling with depression, drug use, and suicidal thoughts, and how she was able to find a treatment plan that worked for her.

The thing I enjoyed most about this book was the simplicity of the writing. Bri provides a clear description of the illness without any unnecessary fluff or medical terminology. I felt as if I was her good friend, and she was telling to me about her life. The self-care tips that she provides are helpful and would be easy for anyone to incorporate into their life. Some of the tips for self-care include a regular sleep schedule, meditation, and finding a creative outlet.

One of the things that resonated with me was Bri’s advice on how to handle a diagnosis. While she emphasizes that it is okay to be angry, she discourages the victim mentality. She writes: “Yes, it’s tough, but you are tougher. Use that strength that you have been given! Never forget that everyone is struggling with something.” I applaud her for encouraging readers to see their diagnosis as a strength rather than a stigma.

The only thing I didn’t like about the book was the large font and even larger chapter headings. It was slightly distracting and felt as though I was always using the down arrow key on my laptop. By decreasing the font size, it would give the book a more polished look.

While the book had a few errors, it did not interfere with the overall reading experience, and I have chosen to give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It is packed with useful information and offers support and encouragement to anyone living with bipolar disorder. I would recommend the book to all readers wanting to learn more about mental disorders. The Grey World would be beneficial to those who are suffering from the illness and for anyone that has a loved one directly affected. The book touches on some mature topics like sex, suicide, and has language that may offend some readers; therefore, I wouldn’t recommend it to young audiences.

It is essential to keep the conversation going regarding mental health. Thanks to various initiatives that aim to raise awareness, the stigma is slowly being erased, but there is still a long way to go!

The Grey World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Stephanie Elizabeth's review? Post a comment saying so!

Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by Helene_2008 » 15 Jun 2019, 07:48

This sounds like a very needed and timely book. I agree there is a lot of stigma around mental health, which is unfortunate. Being in the health care field, I feel like I should read this to better understand the disease from a patient perspective. Thank you for the review!

Stephanie Elizabeth

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 15 Jun 2019, 08:35

Helene_2008 wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 07:48
This sounds like a very needed and timely book. I agree there is a lot of stigma around mental health, which is unfortunate. Being in the health care field, I feel like I should read this to better understand the disease from a patient perspective. Thank you for the review!
Yes, I do recommend it for those trying to understand the illness. Thank you for your comment!

mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by mmm17 » 15 Jun 2019, 09:04

Wonderful review! I loved reading it. The advice that it is okay to be angry, as well as discouraging victimisation, also resonates with me. Thank you for this review. :D

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Favorite Book: The Turn
Currently Reading: No Rest for the Wicked
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Letora » 15 Jun 2019, 09:14

This one hits close to home. My father is bipolar and I was witness to the many faces of it growing up. This one would definitely catch my interest. Thank you for reviewing!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Stephanie Elizabeth

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 15 Jun 2019, 09:39

mmm17 wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 09:04
Wonderful review! I loved reading it. The advice that it is okay to be angry, as well as discouraging victimisation, also resonates with me. Thank you for this review. :D
Thanks for your thoughts!

Stephanie Elizabeth

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 15 Jun 2019, 09:40

Letora wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 09:14
This one hits close to home. My father is bipolar and I was witness to the many faces of it growing up. This one would definitely catch my interest. Thank you for reviewing!
Thank you for sharing your experience!

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Mama, Will I Get Wings Too? by Janie Houston

Post by Cecilia_L » 15 Jun 2019, 13:06

One of the things that resonated with me was Bri’s advice on how to handle a diagnosis. While she emphasizes that it is okay to be angry, she discourages the victim mentality. She writes: “Yes, it’s tough, but you are tougher. Use that strength that you have been given! Never forget that everyone is struggling with something.” I applaud her for encouraging readers to see their diagnosis as a strength rather than a stigma.
What a refreshingly positive attitude regarding diagnosis. I so often see the victim mentality she describes. Thanks for the enlightening review.

Stephanie Elizabeth

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 15 Jun 2019, 13:50

Cecilia_L wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 13:06
What a refreshingly positive attitude regarding diagnosis. I so often see the victim mentality she describes. Thanks for the enlightening review.
Thank you, Cecilia!

CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 75
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 110
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Fueling Change: The Once and Future Kansas City by Twyla Dell
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo » 16 Jun 2019, 11:25

This book sounds like a great tool to help others understand a very complex medical issue. The semi-narrative form makes it seem so much more approachable.

Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 16 Jun 2019, 11:39

Wonderful review of an informative book! The disease discussed in is one, which I don't know much about but, now I think the book will do the part.

Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 169
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: A Walk On The Dark Side by A von Gerhardt

Post by Bluebird03 » 16 Jun 2019, 13:01

I applaud the author's strength in being so transparent about the illness and how it has affected her life. Her suggestions to get plenty of sleep and to find a creative outlet are also great advice for anyone-especially those dealing with a chronic illness or mental disease. Thank you for such an informative and interesting review!

Stephanie Elizabeth

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 16 Jun 2019, 18:28

CommMayo wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 11:25
This book sounds like a great tool to help others understand a very complex medical issue. The semi-narrative form makes it seem so much more approachable.
Thanks for commenting!

Stephanie Elizabeth

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 16 Jun 2019, 18:30

Ekta Swarnkar wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 11:39
Wonderful review of an informative book! The disease discussed in is one, which I don't know much about but, now I think the book will do the part.
Thanks for stopping by!

Stephanie Elizabeth

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 16 Jun 2019, 18:30

Bluebird03 wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 13:01
I applaud the author's strength in being so transparent about the illness and how it has affected her life. Her suggestions to get plenty of sleep and to find a creative outlet are also great advice for anyone-especially those dealing with a chronic illness or mental disease. Thank you for such an informative and interesting review!
Thanks for your thoughtful comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”