Official Review: A Far Off Land by John Devaney

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Renu G
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: When God Works Incognito
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: One with the Light by Jerri Curry, PhD, Author

Official Review: A Far Off Land by John Devaney

Post by Renu G » 08 Jun 2019, 00:40

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Far Off Land" by John Devaney.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Far Off Land: Australian Football and the Birth of a Nation is a book on Australian football and its history from 1901 to 1925. It began with the inauguration of the Commonwealth of Australia and was the period during which the rules of the game took shape. The historical context was tainted with racism as “Whites” were permitted to immigrate to the country more easily than people of color. Indigenous people were not encouraged to vote until 1967. National policies must have influenced football, a winter sport that was popular in the states of Victoria, Tasmania, S. Australia, and W. Australia. The first interstate match was between Victoria and S. Australia in 1901.

During the first quarter of the century, despite the overt stability of the country, there was an underlying current of unrest because of the war between Japan and Russia and the problems created by segregation of Korean, Japanese, and Chinese children in schools. Around 1908, New Zealand joined the six states for the Melbourne Football Carnival. 1910 was an eventful year with the end of slavery in China, the oath against modernism by Catholic clergy, the death of King Edward VII in England, racial riots in the USA, and the federal election in Australia. League footballers were not well paid in most of the states. The marginalization of indigenous people had increased.

It is not surprising that the European war (1914-18) impacted the country’s economics and mood. It led to the death of millions of soldiers and civilians in various countries. When it ended, interest in football soared in all states and brought much healing to the people so that life could regain its “normality.” I found this very fascinating. Later, it was saddening to know about the Spanish Flu of 1919, which inflicted soldiers returning from Europe to Australia and led to the cancellation of major football competitions in Tasmania and Queensland. The USA became a major global power. Communism was on the rise. I like the author’s analysis of how the following years until 1925 brought the revival of interstate football. They were the “crazy years” that “witnessed a boom phase … with crowds watching a sport that was becoming … more sophisticated.” Left-wing extremism was on the rise. As expected, technological advancement led to radio stations broadcasting and airmail services had begun. Lenin died in 1924. The year also saw the Olympic Games in Paris. In 1925, football became a potential source of income for elite players, and I think this was a turning point in the evolution of the sport.

The birth of the nation and the development of football are parallel themes that seem to have affected each other. Written by John Devaney, A Far Off Land is as good as an encyclopedia providing details of the historical context, the matches, teams, players, their skills and scores, the events surrounding the football matches, and everything one could think of in relation to the game. The author has more than 50 years of experience in the field and generously shares all that he knows about it. What I like most about the presentation is that there are rhyming poems in several places. They are relevant and make me smile. The book itself is an interesting read, adding to my general knowledge on the subject. It seems to have been professionally edited, although I did find a few errors. Nevertheless, they did not impact the positive experience of reading. It has illustrations wherever needed, and it is easy to visualize the players on the field based on the historical records/commentaries. The author has revealed the complex relationship between the sociopolitical context and the evolution of this sport in Australia, which I would have never imagined on my own.

Perhaps experts may wish to study the impact of the sociopolitical scenario on football. It may be difficult for young readers from other countries to appreciate the historical players in Australia; however, those who themselves play football are most likely to be interested in this book and grasp the full significance of its details. Although I enjoyed reading A Far Off Land, I was saddened to know about the marginalization of non-Whites in the country. As a woman, I am annoyed by the fact that there is relatively less reference to women. The pronoun “she” is mentioned regarding the “Titanic,” a king’s horse, a comment by an elderly lady, and the election of Edith Cowan. Women’s football is mentioned in the year 1917 in Perth. Based on these factors, I would have awarded this book 3.5 stars, but since that’s not possible, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I am happy to recommend it to football fans, players, and coaches of all age groups.

A Far Off Land
View: on Bookshelves

Like Renu G's review? Post a comment saying so!

Fazzier
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda

Post by Fazzier » 09 Jun 2019, 03:38

It's true football (and sports in general) has been a unifying factor throughout the globe, no wonder it brought out much healing to the people after those instances of racism and racial segregation so that life could regain its normality. I like the fact that this book gives an insight into the impact of sociopolitical scenario on football, and this makes me want to read it. Thank you for this thorough review!
Last edited by Fazzier on 09 Jun 2019, 03:41, edited 1 time in total.

Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Screamcatcher
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by Scarlet Nicoll » 09 Jun 2019, 03:41

It may sound racist, yet it depicted the truth isn't it? Thank you!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 56
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: An Unexpected Mess by Marie Washtag

Post by kdstrack » 09 Jun 2019, 16:52

The author's depth of knowledge on this subject increases the interest for the reader. The parallels he draws between the country and the sport sound interesting. Great review!

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: The Grey World by Bri McKay

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 09 Jun 2019, 18:25

Thanks for the engaging review!

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Wyland » 10 Jun 2019, 04:44

It's nice to know about this book which gives the history of football in Australia. The references to racism are however quite saddening. Thanks for the review.

Wriley
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading: The Right to Nominate
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Wriley » 11 Jun 2019, 21:09

It's interesting that the author used wars to mark the advancement of the sport. I never never guessed by the title what this book was about.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein

phills
Currently Reading: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by phills » 13 Jun 2019, 19:18

A Far Off Land" by John Devane
I think this writer is really portraying the history of Australia and the segregation life which they practice
It also talks more about their footballing

Nisha Ward
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 13 Jun 2019, 19:54

Sadly, I'm not interested in football, because this sounds like a very rich, detailed exploration of football and its connection to nationhood.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kyoks » 14 Jun 2019, 03:18

The author used a descriptive and narrative kind of story to put out the storyline which makes the book interesting and amazingly written for the reader to enjoy reading it. Thanks though for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”