Official Review: Who and What Is God? by Brian H.Butler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Momiji1987
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 191
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 335
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momiji1987.html
Latest Review: Who and What Is God? by Brian H.Butler
fav_author_id: 64963

Official Review: Who and What Is God? by Brian H.Butler

Post by Momiji1987 » 04 Jun 2019, 03:01

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Who and What Is God?" by Brian H.Butler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who and What is God? by Brian H. Butler is a book exploring exactly what the title says. The author uses many of the same arguments that scientists believe to prove theories like evolution false and introduces physics as proof of God’s hand in creation. He also exposes some of the blindness in today’s churches and other established religions and warns of the consequences of not repenting before the second coming of Christ.

This book is a quick read but it has a ton of information. The first half seemed to focus heavily on scientific theories. Although I’m not a huge fan of science myself, his argument for why evolution is false was interesting to me because it wasn’t something I had thought of. As this section continued, it became a blur of facts and numbers that the author argued proves the existence of God. I’m not sure those he hopes to reach will be as receptive to his beliefs—mainly the scientific community and atheists.

The book was professional in appearance, but I did notice some errors and inconsistencies. He rarely ever provided citations for any of the facts he presented nor citations for the quotes he used from the Bible. Most of the books I’ve read lately include citations even if the scripture is quoted often. Sometimes the Bible quotes had quotations around them and sometimes they didn’t. He also made many claims such as definitively declaring which of Noah’s three sons fathered each race of peoples without showing how he came to that conclusion. I’ve heard just about every race claim to be descendants of Shem, but as of yet, most “proof” is sparse as to how they came to those conclusions. I understand why he didn’t go into detail for brevity’s sake, but in order to be more satisfying for the questioning among us, the more explicit the details for his claims, the better.

One of the better, but most decidedly controversial parts of the book, is the author’s takedown of established religions. He mercilessly condemns “churchianity”, Judaism, and Catholicism. He even exposes the Pagan influences embedded in Easter and Christmas as an abomination towards God. While I’m not a hundred percent certain I know God’s feelings about any of these matters, I think they’re worth looking into for the sake of improving our spiritual relationships and knowledge. However, his approach is not very gentle and will likely divert many who haven’t heard these arguments before and or feel quite comfortable with their religion as it is.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The author made some interesting points early on and provided a lot of information in just a few pages. The facts can be a little overwhelming at times and more exploration of the scriptures to determine how the author concludes some of his findings would make for a more solid basis. Open-minded Christians are the most likely audience for this book, but a more in-depth argument from the author that shows irrefutable truth rather than tells us what is true would be even more convincing. I’m not positive he’ll win a lot of support from the book in its current form, but the points he touches on are intriguing. Not every point is made as satisfactorily as I would have liked, but this book should help those who desire more knowledge to find a place to start their explorations.

Who and What Is God?
View: on Bookshelves

Like Momiji1987's review? Post a comment saying so!

ivana7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana7.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by ivana7 » 05 Jun 2019, 04:27

It seems like an interesting read that gives an interesting view of God and evolution.
Thank you for the review!

Janalyn101
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: The Five Musketeers
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Janalyn101 » 05 Jun 2019, 07:42

Years ago I heard a rabbi say, and he wrote to God it’s a good one! So, for this author to put down established religion when historically it has brought people to God it’s ridiculous. I learned as a young child to make any generalized statement, ultimately make you look foolish. Because not everything is everything and to say that it is it’s a very juvenile and ignorant point of you. Although I don’t agree with most of the points in this book as you have laid them out, I will probably still read this book. It was a great review! :shifty

roshrk
Currently Reading: There and Back There Again
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roshrk.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by roshrk » 05 Jun 2019, 08:15

The book is interesting for readers like me who is interested about arguments on God and his creation.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 41
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by kandscreeley » 05 Jun 2019, 09:24

With a book like this, it would be very important to back up any "facts" you are using. I have read a few books on creation vs. evolution. Lee Strobel has a pretty good one out there. This sounds like it could be interesting. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

busisiwe5754
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-busisiwe5754.html
Latest Review: The Not So Great American Novel by James E. Doucette

Post by busisiwe5754 » 05 Jun 2019, 16:42

Thank you for the review.
I was captured and intrigued by the title ''Who and What is God''. This book is a must-read for me, I am very interested. :techie-studying brown:

Kister Bless
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 24
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Kister Bless » 06 Jun 2019, 00:23

Who and What is God is an intriguing title and so am captivated by this book. I really want to read it, the arguments of God and His creation. Well-written review.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Wyland » 06 Jun 2019, 07:32

I like the scientific attempt to prove the existence of God. I dislike on his trying to condemn others and their religion. Being antagonistic will hardly endear people to his beliefs. Nice review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”