Official Review: islam vs christianity - the final holoca...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Renu G
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: When God Works Incognito
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: One with the Light by Jerri Curry, PhD, Author

Official Review: islam vs christianity - the final holoca...

Post by Renu G » 02 Jun 2019, 12:48

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "islam vs christianity - the final holocaust" by vishnu.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Islam vs Christianity: The Final Holocaust is authored by Vishnu and dedicated to “all those against fanaticism and the control by the clergy – in any religion.” This phrase summarizes the contents of this book. When I selected it for reading, I found it strange to see a writer with the name of a Hindu deity trying to write about two other religions. He claims to be neither a Christian nor a Muslim. Vishnu also denies being an expert in Islamic studies and expects the reader to have some basic knowledge on the subject. Nevertheless, he devotes two chapters to Christianity and Islam.

The first chapter describes the life of Jesus, the history of Christianity (including the East-West Schism), and the controversies related to doctrine and the books in the Bible. The second chapter describes the life of the Prophet Muhammad, the history of Islam (including the conflict between the Sunni and the Shia), the Scriptures, and the basic tenets of the faith. He mentions that the Sharia Law was created by the clergy several centuries after the death of Muhammad and questions how it can be treated as God’s Law. The author investigates the details of Muhammad’s succession, the formation of the Islamic Caliphate, and the use of force to convert people to the religion.

Vishnu’s main concern seems to be that Islam is a religion of peace, but history does not prove it. He distinguishes between “Muslims and Islamists” by stating that Muslims are known to live in harmony with people belonging to other faiths, but Islamists use violence and terror tactics to propagate their religion. I think the writer has devoted too many pages to the events surrounding the election of Muhammad’s successors and the role of his wife Aisha. It looks as if the story has been taken from several sources and repeated several times, which is irritating because this single theme is spread over almost 100 out of 240 pages in this book. This is what I dislike most about the presentation. Perhaps the author should have included a bibliography.

I appreciate Vishnu’s statement that Christianity as well as Islam have used violence in the name of religion throughout history, and it has been triggered mainly by fanatical clergy and political leaders around the world. He seems to emphasize that this behavior is contrary to the authentic teachings of the founders. However, Christianity seems to have matured to a certain extent through experience. He rightly questions the misunderstandings among Islamists regarding the concept of Jihad but tends to become emotional in the manner of expression. I think the chapter on Pakistan is biased and exaggerated. The concluding chapter with Vishnu’s analysis of the religious and political scenario around the world is what I liked most about the book.

Islam vs Christianity: The Final Holocaust will benefit from a round of professional editing. I found a few errors which were not distracting but do impact the quality of the book. Overall, despite not being scholarly writing, it is a good effort by the author and is simple enough for average readers. After critically analyzing the contents as described above, I am happy to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to teenagers and adults interested in world peace. Social workers, teachers, and politicians may also find it interesting to read.

islam vs christianity - the final holocaust
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Renu G's review? Post a comment saying so!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 41
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by kandscreeley » 05 Jun 2019, 09:50

Well, it does seem to be odd that the author is neither a Christian nor a Muslim. Apparently, though, he seems to do a fairly good job talking about both. I don't think this is a book for me, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

maggi3
2018 Reading Goal: 53
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound by Richard L Haight

Post by maggi3 » 05 Jun 2019, 11:38

I think the cover could use work. Otherwise, this seems to be a good, informative book. I don’t think I’ll be picking this one up because I wouldn’t be interested enough in the stories around Muhammad’s successors to read almost half of a book about them, but thanks for the review!

Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Screamcatcher
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by Scarlet Nicoll » 10 Jun 2019, 00:24

I'm actually happy that neither a Christian nor a Muslim wrote this book otherwise its quite obvious that there would have been bias nature toward one religion. Since it's a general read I think it would do well being a standout. Thank you for being clear with your information!

Bamsite4u
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bamsite4u » 10 Jun 2019, 06:05

The author really tried but unfortunately it differs from what I read in both Bible and Quran, particularly about Sharia, Sharia is both in Bible and Quran but for him claiming it was after Muhammad that Sharia was innovated it shows that he didn't do his research properly. I rate the book below the expectation.

Nisha Ward
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 10 Jun 2019, 07:05

This seems like a noble effort but the bias against Pakistan and the extreme focus on Islam seems a bit much. I do like that you mentioned he did treat with the violence of Christianity, but I'm going to pass because it still seems a bit unbalanced.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kyoks » 14 Jun 2019, 04:17

Quite odd, the book's title is tough too but I loved the book because it is a comparison and arugumentative between two religions and I would definitely love to read it.
Thanks for the incredible review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”