Official Review: What Makes America Great by Bob Dowell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Clemens Nickleby
2019 Reading Goal: 120
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
Favorite Book: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Currently Reading: Free Plants for Everyone
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clemens-nickleby.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Re: Official Review: What Makes America Great by Bob Dowell

Post by Clemens Nickleby » 09 Jun 2019, 18:29

I used to read these kinds of books, but have since left off because they tend to be rather shallow in their understanding of history. Just because people spout sentiments, does not mean they actually hold them to be true. Otherwise, most politicians would never darken the door of any religious institution of a Sunday morning. Sometimes there is an uncomfortable wresting of personalities and politics to present a fiction that was never history. And to read the documents presented with an open legal dictionary in front of you may bring about some uncomfortable realizations. I realize I probably would not enjoy this book, but I did enjoy reading your thoughtful review.
Truth is stranger than Fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't. Mark Twain

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”