Review by Quickstudy -- Why can't Johnny Just Quit?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Quickstudy
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Review by Quickstudy -- Why can't Johnny Just Quit?

Post by Quickstudy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Why can't Johnny Just Quit?" by Kyle Oh.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Author and medical professional Kyle Oh, M.D., explores the heart break and triumph of addiction. Dr. Oh explores the approach to addressing addiction.
This book is his attempt to redefine addiction in a way that makes sense of this often misunderstood subject. He attempts to help those who suffer from this disease learn how to get it under control. He proposed by understanding addiction and why it happens to some, can help many others from getting hooked in the first place.

1997 was a start to a painful and regretful decision that leads to the writing of this book. A simple injury and a prescription lead to the death of a patient. Which sets Dr. Oh on a grief and anger fueled desire to learn from what he views as a mistake. This book is an accumulation of the cases and knowledge gained over the years. The book addresses the misinformation and misconceptions associated with addiction and becoming addicted. The focus of most drug and alcohol treatment programs is recovery and relapse. Dr. Ho instead proposes that by educating people, can help them from not getting hooked in the first place. The key understands how addiction happens and to recognize the early warning signs which can help a person from getting hooked.

The ideas presented in this book for me, is a new perspective of addiction and those addicted. Having little experience with the topic puts me at a disadvantage. However, from what I have learned addiction is a disease. One that does not have a one size fits all cure. I am inclined to believe Dr. Oh's approach can be a tool for those experimenting with drugs. However, I can not believe his approach can help those suffering in the latter stages of the disease. Still yet, I do believe that some of the techniques described in this book can be applied to help all those who are suffering with this disease.

I found this subject extremely hard to grasp and write about. Trying to find a balance of respect and understanding for those who are suffering with disease. Yet at the same time being open to ways to see their struggle as no fault of their own. When main stream media and others blame the addicted for their current situation. To me, Addiction is a fight to get free from something that once brought pleasure. I found myself through this book coming to understand the struggle of Why can't Johnny just Quit.

What I liked most about this book is the authors motivation to write this book. Even more, his answer to Why can't Johnny Just Quit, resonates as believable to me. This book empowers anyone with the tools and knowledge needed to help a friend or a loved one who is dealing with this deadly disease. What I disliked most about the book is the one size fits all approach to addiction and becoming addicted. Although Dr. Oh presents many cases that point to positive results from his techniques, I am not convinced that his approach will work for everyone. As a result,I rate this book 3 out 4. Due to the authors passion and motivation to help others suffering. I didn't not rate this book a 1 or 2 because I did not find any grammatical errors and the passion for the subject leaped off the page. I did not rate the book a 4 due to the one size fits all claim. Which I find hard to grasp. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to help a loved one or a friend. I also would recommend this book to teens and recreational drug users.

Why can't Johnny Just Quit?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Quickstudy's review? Post a comment saying so!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Addiction is a trick subject. I agree with you that there is never a one size fits all solution to this complex issue.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”