Official Review: Second lives second chances

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Renu G
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: When God Works Incognito
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: One with the Light by Jerri Curry, PhD, Author

Official Review: Second lives second chances

Post by Renu G » 27 May 2019, 05:11

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Second lives second chances" by Donald R Laub md.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Second Lives, Second Chances is authored by Dr. Donald R. Laub, M.D. He is a retired surgeon who founded Interplast/ReSurge International, an organization providing plastic and reconstructive surgery for the underprivileged in developing countries. Dr. Laub has also been serving transsexuals through gender affirmation surgery and has received several awards for his humanitarian work.

A major crisis due to lymphoma brought a halt to the surgeon’s career, but he survived this cancer and concentrated on mentoring students in the field, especially at Stanford University. In this memoir, the author recalls heart-wrenching accounts of children who were shunned by society and experienced a “second life” after surgical treatment of cleft palates, cleft lips, and burns. This is my favorite part of the book. The author, now an octogenarian, relates the details of at least four patients (David Werner, Eugenio, Salvador, and Ella) who deeply influenced him as a surgeon, so much so that the ripples spread all over the world through his humanitarian efforts. I was moved to tears as I read their stories.

This 184-page book is written in the author’s humorous style, which makes reading very enjoyable. When I began, I was leaning towards rating it 4 out of 4 stars. The quality of Dr. Laub’s work impressed me, and I became his fan. As a Catholic, he shares about his vow to serve humanity, which is very inspiring. I appreciate how he reflects on the questions raised by a liberation theologian and surgeon-nun. He struggled to resolve his ethical dilemma regarding gender confirmation surgery. I do feel compassion for those who suffer due to gender dysphoria (experience of a mismatch between gender identity and biological sexual characteristics). However, at this point, I was taken aback with his arguments based on his discussions with experts, even referring to Pope Paul VI in the following words: “The pope formed a committee to look into the matter, and the conclusion was that it is right to help people become whole by matching their physical reality to their psychological reality via surgery if the procedure is medically indicated.” I was shocked by this statement about the Church’s position on transsexualism and decided not to rate it 4 stars. It cannot be substantiated, and this is the part I disliked most.

According to Catholic teaching, a chromosomally XY individual with female gender identity cannot marry another chromosomally XY individual in spite of undergoing gender reassignment surgery to have physical characteristics and genitalia of a woman. It would be considered a same-sex union and not regarded as a valid marriage. Such surgery is considered mutilation and cannot be justified on the basis of the “principle of totality.” Any changes in the sexual organs would cause infertility, which is against the ends of marriage, one of which is procreation. There is no official teaching of the Church, regarding gender reassignment surgery, and there is a lack of consensus among moral theologians from pastoral perspectives. In such a scenario, Dr. Laub’s statement about the Church’s position is misleading and unacceptable.

Regarding the presentation, I was irritated with words breaking into a new line when the text could easily have been justified. The tone of the last part was different as if someone else wrote it. I found a few grammatical errors and typos that neither distracted me nor affected the reading experience, which was full of humor. Hence, it looks as if the book has been professionally edited. After careful and critical analysis of the contents, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I have a conscientious objection to some of the author’s unsubstantiated statements as mentioned above. Nevertheless, there may be doctors, surgeons, ethicists, pastoral workers, social workers, and individuals suffering from gender dysphoria who may wish to read this book. I hope Dr. Laub will clarify his remarks on the Catholic Church’s teachings in the next edition.

Second lives second chances
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Renu G's review? Post a comment saying so!

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: The Grey World by Bri McKay

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 30 May 2019, 06:48

I am glad the doctor is able to put a humorous spin on things. Thanks for the wonderful review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 41
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by kandscreeley » 30 May 2019, 08:18

It sounds like the author is doing some good work. The humorous tone of the book would certainly help the reading not to be too dry. Still, I'm not look for a memoir at the moment. Thanks, though!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 56
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Engine Woman's Light
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: An Unexpected Mess by Marie Washtag

Post by kdstrack » 30 May 2019, 11:10

Your insightful comments about the author's position are food for thought. I agree with your fair rating of this book. Thanks for an interesting review.

CyndiA1
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndia1.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CyndiA1 » 30 May 2019, 11:23

I am thankful there are people in this world with compassion. I think I would enjoy this book and the stories of how a surgeon made the world a better place for various individuals and for different reasons. He sounds like a wonderful man.

Jeni_D19
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeni-d19.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jeni_D19 » 30 May 2019, 22:17

This is a serious topic to tackle, and I am glad that the author is brave enough to write about his experiences in this area. I think that many people could be positively affected by reading other’s stories. Thank you for the great review and opening my eyes to this gook.

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: A Bloody Book by Chris Bowen

Post by Wyland » 03 Jun 2019, 04:44

I like how the doctor has used his professional life to help those who are disadvantaged members of the society thorough cleft lip surgery for example. The discussion on transsexual seems complex to understand. Thanks for the review.

Clemens Nickleby
2019 Reading Goal: 120
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Currently Reading: The Brethren, Inside the Supreme Court
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clemens-nickleby.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Clemens Nickleby » 09 Jun 2019, 19:14

Hmmm, sounds like the good Dr. should have stuck to burns and cleft palates. I'll have to pass on his book. I think your point about misrepresenting the position of the Catholic church is a sound one. I am not a Catholic, but I can see how detrimental that position would be to the church, and how many might use that argument as justification for what they are doing.
Truth is stranger than Fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't. Mark Twain

Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kyoks » 14 Jun 2019, 04:29

I love the way the doctor puts up an incredible and courageous story.
Thank you for the incredible and amazing review and I loved it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”