Official Review: Ten Secret Powers of Successful Wise Women

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Ten Secret Powers of Successful Wise Women

Post by unamilagra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ten Secret Powers of Successful Wise Women" by Dr. Evelyn Hill.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you a woman who wants to get to a better place in life, but you aren’t sure how to get there? Maybe you are hoping to improve your financial situation, your family relationships, or your faith and are looking for a way to get started. In her book, Ten Secret Powers of Successful Wise Women, Dr. Evelyn Hill hopes to help you accomplish your goals. As she states in her author’s note, “…this book will give you keys to recognize and solve areas of lack in your life so you can build a support system to help you move out of the valley of apathy and ineffectiveness to the mountaintop of prosperity in every area of your life.”

The author begins with her own story of personal growth. She dropped out of college to enter into what turned out to be a bad marriage. She eventually found herself a divorced, financially unstable single mother, struggling with feelings of loneliness and inadequacy. Dr. Hill shares her story of how she recovered and eventually thrived in life. In the remainder of her book, she goes on to list and explain ten “secret” powers that every woman can harness to give herself the life she wants and deserves.

Each power is given its own chapter. Examples of some of the powers include the power of struggle, the power of gratitude, and the power of rest. I always enjoy self-help books that are structured in this way, because it makes it easy for me to focus on and apply the parts that resonate with me, as each woman will have different areas of weakness to concentrate on. For each power, she explains the importance of the power itself and provides some examples of famous women who have used that power to achieve great things. She also shares how she has applied each power to her own life. She incorporates quotes from the Bible to emphasize her points. As I am not religious, I didn’t personally gain anything from this aspect, but it was not pervasive enough to annoy me or make me feel that I could not apply the book to my life.

The tone is uplifting and encouraging, although it borders on preachy from time to time, such as when she went to great lengths to explain the importance of education and going back to school. I also felt like most of the powers were not well researched or explained. My favorite chapter was on the power of focus. She used the acronym FOCUS (“Follow One Course Until Successful”) and outlined ways to get rid of distractions and concentrate on one area of life you want to improve, step by step. I found that there were enough details and suggestions for how to accomplish this that I could put this into practice. Most of the other chapters seemed very surface-level. They just explained that the powers are important without really providing any steps on how to implement them. She did provide a bibliography of her sources, and she also listed some resources for further research. But overall, I got the impression that this book really served more as a pep talk than an actual instructional manual on how to develop your powers.

The other major complaint I have about this book is that it was not professionally edited and was riddled with errors throughout. Given the errors and that so many of the chapters lacked enough detail to really help me get started on self-improvement, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Since I did like the writing style and was able to find some helpful tidbits, I felt it deserved more than one star. I would recommend this book to a woman who is looking for a quick, inspirational read as a jumping-off point for her self-help journey. However, if you are hoping to find an all-inclusive guide on how to improve your life, there are better choices out there.

Ten Secret Powers of Successful Wise Women
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like unamilagra's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I also like it when self-help books are broken down into specific chapters. While this book has great potential, I from the sounds of it another round of editing would improve its readability. Thanks for the honest review!
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

I appreciate good and detailed books for self-realization. Judging by your review, I'm not sure it's completely detailed, however, I find it worth reading. Thanks for great review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The format is very appealing and makes the book very easy to use. The author's personal story is interesting, but I always hesitate when I see the "secret" hook. I appreciate your insights about this book. Thanks.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 27 May 2019, 05:20 I also like it when self-help books are broken down into specific chapters. While this book has great potential, I from the sounds of it another round of editing would improve its readability. Thanks for the honest review!
Thanks for your comment!

ivana7 wrote: 27 May 2019, 05:41 I appreciate good and detailed books for self-realization. Judging by your review, I'm not sure it's completely detailed, however, I find it worth reading. Thanks for great review!
Thanks for your comment. I hope you find it helpful!

kdstrack wrote: 27 May 2019, 11:31 The format is very appealing and makes the book very easy to use. The author's personal story is interesting, but I always hesitate when I see the "secret" hook. I appreciate your insights about this book. Thanks.
Thanks for commenting! I found most of the "secret" powers to be more common sense things that women tend to neglect in their lives.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

The premise of this book sounds interesting. However, the lack of editing and details makes me hesitant to read it. I also don’t see a lot about it that is unique. I probably won’t be picking this one up, but thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I love how you structured your review, and I agree with your points here. Self-help books tend to focus more on the "inspiring" rather than the "coaching." I'm sure there are readers who just need a bit of pep talk, but like you, I'd prefer to get something more substantial from such types of books. Thanks for your thoughts on this one.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad that this one isn't quite fully formed. It sounds like the author has a great concept, but she needs to shore it up some. I think I'll pass, as I'm not really in the market for a self-help book at the moment. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

Excellent review! This sounds like a book with a lofty premise that just did not quite hit its mark. You did a very thorough job of justifying your rating. I'm glad you were still able to take some valuable information from it. :)
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I find the author's story resonating well with mine. Her take on how to be financial stable and her ten secret powers to harness to be at the top of one's game would be a greart read. Thanks for your informative review.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:

Post by unamilagra »

maggi3 wrote: 27 May 2019, 17:46 The premise of this book sounds interesting. However, the lack of editing and details makes me hesitant to read it. I also don’t see a lot about it that is unique. I probably won’t be picking this one up, but thanks for the review!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

inaramid wrote: 27 May 2019, 19:32 I love how you structured your review, and I agree with your points here. Self-help books tend to focus more on the "inspiring" rather than the "coaching." I'm sure there are readers who just need a bit of pep talk, but like you, I'd prefer to get something more substantial from such types of books. Thanks for your thoughts on this one.
I agree with you. If I pick up a self-help book, I want a step-by-step guide on how to improve my life. Thanks for your comment!

kandscreeley wrote: 28 May 2019, 09:41 It's too bad that this one isn't quite fully formed. It sounds like the author has a great concept, but she needs to shore it up some. I think I'll pass, as I'm not really in the market for a self-help book at the moment. Thanks, though.
Yes, I think it has potential for sure, but it needs a bit more depth to stand out from all the other self-help books out there. Thank you for your comment!

Bluebird03 wrote: 28 May 2019, 15:05 Excellent review! This sounds like a book with a lofty premise that just did not quite hit its mark. You did a very thorough job of justifying your rating. I'm glad you were still able to take some valuable information from it. :)
Thank you so much for stopping by!

Wyland wrote: 28 May 2019, 20:43 I find the author's story resonating well with mine. Her take on how to be financial stable and her ten secret powers to harness to be at the top of one's game would be a greart read. Thanks for your informative review.
Thank you for your comment!
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

I like the fact that this book forcuses on practical examples and does not thrive on "minimizing men" like most of such books. You mentioning "forcus on what applies to you" made me think like,even men could find what applies to them in this book. Thanks for the review.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I like the content of this book. Personally, I like self-help books that entail the element of motivation. Of course,we can achieve success by unveiling our hidden powers and focusing them in the right direction. So the power of focus is no doubt very important and appealing to me. In my opinion, if you want to achieve something in life then constant struggle in the right direction is must. Consistency is the ultimate key to success. But it is also a fact that corporate culture has changed now. Now You can pick all those career lines that can take you towards your final goal.
Thanks for mentioning the pros and cons of this book. It is the book that fits with me. Thanks for this insightful review!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

It's a pity this one falls slightly short of the finish line.
It seems like the author has some great ideas and advice - I hope she can work it out.

Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

Great and honest review! It seems a real pity that the author hasn't fleshed out most of the concepts. I think I'll pass on this one.
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”