Official Review: Living With Alzheimer’s: A Journey...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Official Review: Living With Alzheimer’s: A Journey...

Post by kdstrack »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 22 May 2019, 18:32 This has got to be one of the most terrifying diseases. Not only does it steal independence and joy from the individual, but it takes a toll on their loved ones as well. Thank you for your honest review!
The author described her experiences with her husband. It is a compelling story, and I found it to be quite educative. Knowledge can help overcome the fear. I appreciate your comments. Thanks!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This not only seems like an educational read, it is also inspiring as well! Alzheimer's is not an easy disease to live with, and I really appreciate that the author has taken the time to write this book to share her experiences. Thanks for the lovely review!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

gen_g wrote: 22 May 2019, 22:54 This not only seems like an educational read, it is also inspiring as well! Alzheimer's is not an easy disease to live with, and I really appreciate that the author has taken the time to write this book to share her experiences. Thanks for the lovely review!
It is an educative and an emotional read. Even if I don't have an AD person in my family, the book helps me to be able to counsel and help others. The author's passion to help others is very inspiring. Thanks so much for commenting! I appreciate the kind words.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

This sounds like a perfect Alzheimers' summary for adults to read. I think this exceptional resource is almost mandatory for helping readers navigate their loved one's world and to know what to anticipate. Your review was very thorough and informative!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Bluebird03 wrote: 23 May 2019, 18:32 This sounds like a perfect Alzheimers' summary for adults to read. I think this exceptional resource is almost mandatory for helping readers navigate their loved one's world and to know what to anticipate. Your review was very thorough and informative!
This author was truly the right person to write this book. Her medical background coupled with her compassion for her husband offers readers a double perspective: through the eyes of a clinician, and from the tender heart of a loving wife. I felt enriched after reading this book. Thanks for your encouraging comments. They are greatly appreciated!
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

Thank you for the review. Alzheimer is such a terrible disease, and this insightful book sounds like the perfect short read to better understand it.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

TuyetMai wrote: 24 May 2019, 00:30 Thank you for the review. Alzheimer is such a terrible disease, and this insightful book sounds like the perfect short read to better understand it.
It is a short read but very sincere and meaningful. The author's examples are so vivid that you learn what to look for, and she gives you tips on how to manage it. I hope you will have an opportunity to read the book. Thanks so much for stopping by!
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

Thanks for highlighting the physical and emotional cost connected with Alzheimer's disease. Thanks for the informative review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Uinto wrote: 24 May 2019, 07:48 Thanks for highlighting the physical and emotional cost connected with Alzheimer's disease. Thanks for the informative review.
The author helps readers to see the patient's continued need for love and understanding. We tend to react to the conduct caused by the disease and forget what is causing these behaviors. It is an informative and helpful book. Thanks so much for commenting!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

gen_g wrote: 22 May 2019, 22:54 This not only seems like an educational read, it is also inspiring as well! Alzheimer's is not an easy disease to live with, and I really appreciate that the author has taken the time to write this book to share her experiences. Thanks for the lovely review!
Yes, it was both. This book made me more sensitive toward what the patient experiences and also deeply thankful for those who choose to be caregivers. Thanks so much for commenting!
CyndiA1
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndia1.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CyndiA1 »

I wish I'd had this book years back. My family took in my aunt who had Alzheimers. She would tell my young sons to leave. She unplugged the bread machine all the time (mid-cycle) and turned off the stove with the turkey half done on Thanksgiving. And I will never forgot when she latched us out of the house and said she already gave "at the office."

We all had good senses of humor, so we just rolled with it. We didn't understand but did know that my aunt had no control over her thoughts and actions.

It's really nice to see more books out now about this very tragic disease.

Thanks for the review. I might read the book just in case I work with someone with Alzheimers again.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

CyndiA1 wrote: 24 May 2019, 13:34 I wish I'd had this book years back. My family took in my aunt who had Alzheimers. She would tell my young sons to leave. She unplugged the bread machine all the time (mid-cycle) and turned off the stove with the turkey half done on Thanksgiving. And I will never forgot when she latched us out of the house and said she already gave "at the office."

We all had good senses of humor, so we just rolled with it. We didn't understand but did know that my aunt had no control over her thoughts and actions.

It's really nice to see more books out now about this very tragic disease.

Thanks for the review. I might read the book just in case I work with someone with Alzheimers again.
It is difficult to go through this with a family member. I think you would empathize with the author as she describes her journey with her husband. I agree with your last statement. This knowledge is helpful just to know how to recognize the symptoms and how to react around people going through this disease. Some of the symptoms described are what we all associate with Alzheimer's, but the author includes many other behaviors that can indicate the disease's presence or progression. Thanks so much for sharing your own experiences. I appreciate your comments!
Jlbaird85
Currently Reading: Lift you up
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlbaird85.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Jlbaird85 »

This sounds like an amazing book! My grandfather had Alzheimers, and it was very difficult to see the changes in him. A book that can support others going through this and tell them what to expect can be a major support for those facing this. Thanks for the great review!
All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts

Shakespeare-As You Like It Act II, Scene VII
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Jlbaird85 wrote: 24 May 2019, 21:04 This sounds like an amazing book! My grandfather had Alzheimers, and it was very difficult to see the changes in him. A book that can support others going through this and tell them what to expect can be a major support for those facing this. Thanks for the great review!
This book does exactly that. It helps readers see the signs, and the author uses examples from her own life to help understand how each symptom manifests itself. I hope you find this book to be helpful. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Your comments are appreciated!
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I've never met a person with AD before. But, it sounds like a terrible disease. It must be painful to not only the patient, but to all those who associate him or her, including the family members. I'm sure this will help the loved ones of the patients of this disease. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”