Review by Wriley -- Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Wriley -- Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Wriley »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Executive Hoodlum" by John Costello.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Executive Hoodlum: Negotiating on the Corner of Main and Mean by John Costello is the best nonfiction I've read. The story of person's life can tend to have boring parts but not this book. John Costello tells a gripping tale of growing up with an abusive father in Chicago then California.

The book actually feels like fiction then I remember that this was Costello's real life. John's life could have turned out very differently, yet he fought his way to a college education then to a Vice President position of an advanced-semiconductor company.

Executive Hoodlum reads like a storyteller weaving a tale about his past. The book starts out with John meeting with the Chicago mob to explain that he knew nothing about his father's latest con when he outrageously stole money from mob bosses. As the story continues it feels as if the reader is an insider. John explains mob terminology such as in Chicago the mob had “outfit guys” and in New York it's “wise guys”. John gives more details about his father as the book continues. His father, also named John, was a roofer, opera tenor, and most of all a conman who would do anything to make a buck. John sets down the basics to understand the rest of his childhood.

John was raised streetwise and received beatings from his father. As the book continues, I felt his pain. At times, it was like I wanted to stop the horrible way he and his siblings were treated. Through all the tough times he still held onto his cynical humor. My favorite quote was, “Since I did not become a serial killer, I have to assume that the negative impact in my case has not been of inordinate magnitude. But I will admit that for many years I found it difficult to empathize with other kids who complained how “unfairly” their parents treated them.” John's life took many ups and downs put he overcame his past.

I was impressed with the way the author was able to convey the story he was telling. I really felt part of the book. Each story flowed to the next story. I wanted to know what happened next. I turned the next page because each story built the suspense for the next. John's Italian accent could be heard in how the writing was presented. I do have to mention that I'm so glad Larry Elder convinced John that he needed to write a book. The book was a perfect combination of explaining the background of the story to telling the story beautifully. More than anything the book was entertaining and caused several laughs as well as tears.

I liked the book because the format was of a storyteller talking with a friend about his interesting past. The stories never came off bitter or angry. This book was not a pity party. There are a few curse words, but they add to the reality of the story that's told. I would recommend this book for older teens and adults. I found no grammatical errors and that's exceptional. The book seems professionally edited. I give Executive Hoodlum: Negotiations on the Corner of Main and Mean by John Costello with Larry Elder a 4 out of 4 stars rating. The book was a story about overcoming a difficult childhood to find your own self. The past does not define you.

Executive Hoodlum
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Wriley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”