Official Review: Calmness in the Storm by Lucy Paynter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
CataclysmicKnight
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 33
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 68
2017 Reading Goal: 150
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 61
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 703
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Royal Rodger and the Great King by P. Edwin Harris

Official Review: Calmness in the Storm by Lucy Paynter

Post by CataclysmicKnight » 19 May 2019, 14:22

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Calmness in the Storm" by Lucy Paynter.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There's no question that life can be cruel. Everyone faces off against challenges in their lives, challenges that can not only make us question our own abilities but also our faith. Weathering these storms in our lives can take a great deal of trust in God, and that's exactly what Lucy Paynter reminds us of in her book, Calmness in the Storm. Lucy is a pastor and has written this tiny book to show people that God can easily guide us through any storms we may face.

This 25-page book gives readers a focused look at dealing with hardships, using stories from the Bible and a few from Lucy's own life as examples. Separated into 8 chapters, there really seemed to be 3 central points made in the book: we will all face our own personal storms, God can calm storms, and we should put our faith in God to do exactly that.

Lucy shows us a time when the disciples were literally in a storm and feared for their lives. They woke Jesus and told them they feared for their lives, and He merely told the storms to calm down. To their amazement, his mere command settled the storms right down! Above all else, this is the central focus of the book: God's ability to settle any storm in our lives. There are other examples from the Bible as well: the tribulations that Job faced, the parting of the Red Sea, and the attempted burning of Shadrack, Meshack, and Abednego, for example. But my favorite examples were the ones from the author herself, such as her health issues and her problems with getting her children to America. While the Biblical examples are terrific, there's something more meaningful about seeing the author's own usage of these lessons in her life. Sadly, with only 25 pages in the book, there aren't many of these examples.

If I found a genie that, for some odd reason, would only grant me three wishes pertaining to this book, I would wish for more pages, more editing and polish, and more examples from the author's life. While I managed to find numerous terrific lines to highlight and reflect on later, the lack of editing is a bit off-putting. In addition to the 20 errors I found, there were countless sentences that could've been far easier to read. A 25-page book should take mere moments to read, yet it felt like it took hours to complete Calmness in the Storm. Sure, some of that time was due to reflection or looking further into things Lucy mentioned, but most of it was re-reading sentences. This isn't to say that Lucy writes badly by any means; the lines I highlighted were excellent! I just wish the parts between them were equally polished, and that the truly great lines weren't the exception to the rule.

I have such mixed feelings about Calmness in the Storm. Like the aftermath of a harsh storm, it seems rather disheveled overall. I enjoyed the points about calming oneself and not scrambling for bad solutions to problems, and the book is a nice reminder to keep calm and trust in God to take care of His believers. My rating of Lucy Paynter's book is 2 out of 4 stars, although I'd still recommend it to Christians who are facing storms of their own and want to bolster their faith during hardships.

Calmness in the Storm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

DevPravindhya
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: india in chaos
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by DevPravindhya » 22 May 2019, 05:11

A review by a truly experienced reviewer, calmly pointing out the mistakes and yet motivating readers to read it.

Rachel Lea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep

Post by Rachel Lea » 22 May 2019, 05:25

It's a pity that there are so many editing issues as it seems like this is a very nice little book with a helpful message. Thank you for your honest and thorough review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

CyndiA1
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndia1.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CyndiA1 » 30 May 2019, 10:23

I find it hard to count 25 pages as a book. And, I certainly can't imagine that the author needs to divide that little bit of material into eight chapters. Perhaps it was a test run of her outline.

I'm glad you wrote the review and included solid details. I would be really disappointed if I bought this thinking it would be a helpful book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”