Official Review: fast track to the corner office for wome...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: fast track to the corner office for wome...

Post by Renu G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "fast track to the corner office for women (2nd edition)" by Dr Betty Orlandino.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fast Track to the Corner Office for Women is an interesting book written by Betty Orlandino. She is a certified talent consultant, mentor, and performance coach. In 1968, Betty was “slotted to be the first female Formula One driver in the world,” but she turned it down. The reason is mentioned in one of the chapters. She has served Fortune 100 to 500 companies during the last three decades and dedicates the 2nd edition to her mentors and family of clients.

Betty shares the history of courageous women in her ancestry who easily win the reader’s heart. What could drive a woman to come out of the closed world of her family to climb the corporate ladder? In this manual, she lists ten steps to fast track our way to the corner office. She explains the importance of finding a mentor, having a brand, realizing the importance of politics, being informed about the company and its competitors, building a coalition, being optimistic, improving our people skills, having a work ethic, using our networks to serve, and living with passion as well as compassion. The writer believes in the use of common sense that is not so common.

What I liked most is Betty’s suggestion to avoid unnecessary delays by tapping into our innate strength and her advice to make use of our intuition as well as the ability to listen to people and read body language. I appreciate her desire to help women to stand out from the crowd and speak aloud with a clear voice. I also agree with her that we must bridge the gap between our good intentions and the actual impact we have on our surroundings. Every woman deserves to take credit for her achievements.

Have you ever observed how the corner office opens to the world with windows on two walls? I think this is so different from the domestic life of a woman spending most of her life in a kitchen. However, history shows examples of women who stepped out, climbed the ladder, and found a place at the “corporate table.” We must overcome many obstacles along the way, and the game is never fair in a male-dominated world. Fast Track to the Corner Office for Women is an excellent resource for women. Readers will benefit from the advice on how to select good mentors and coaches. The author has a Ph.D. in psychology, which enhances her mentoring skills.

The manual is short and sweet, and its language is clear and precise. There’s nothing that I disliked about it. The text seems to have been professionally edited, and I did not discover a single grammatical error. For all the above reasons, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and am happy to recommend it to fresh graduates as well as those who have work experience. Although it is written by a woman, for women, I don’t see any reason why men should not read it.

fast track to the corner office for women (2nd edition)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Renu G's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Any book empowering women is a YES for me. Interesting book, I'll add it to my list.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds amazing! I am so intrigued. Faultless editing is hard to come by, and the fact that this book has it is a telling sign of a professional writer and team. It shows incredible attention to detail... I think I will be reading this one. Thanks for your great review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Nicely written review. Betty sounds like an inspirational woman!
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

The idea of finding a mentor as an important step intrigues me. I've seen that men seem to naturally do exactly that, and that men form hierarchies of status. This is so different from how women (used to?) structure their lives, so I've wondered if that's one of the "secrets".

I'm getting old so I've gone through many instances of being rejected for something because of being a woman. It didn't bother me as much once I knew to expect it. I just did what needed to be done effectively and efficiently, leaving bosses more amenable to accepting the next woman for a position.
Because of this, I prefer to accept that men are wary of having women in certain positions, just as women are wary of men for many reasons. I like that this book apparently shows that incorporating natural female skills into the equation (instead of tossing them aside to be "more like a man") can lead to success. At least, that's how it comes across to me.
Amash Manzoor
Favorite Book: Raptor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Amash Manzoor »

As it is a book that empowers women so it is a nice for me it its writing is very good and anyone who read it will enjoys
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This sounds like a great book with a lot of very practical advice in it. I like how the author counsels women in the workplace to tap into their innate strengths--like their intuition--instead of necessarily acting just like a man. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

It is intriguing that Betty participated in both the rat race and the racing sport. Does she still race cars in her advanced age? That would be real cool, the racing grandmama! I couldn't help but picture her as Penelope in the Wacky Races!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I appreciate all the different suggestions Betty offers for women who desire that corner office. I hope she also realizes that there are some women who enjoy being homemakers. After all, "the hand that rocks the cradle..."
Jlbaird85
Currently Reading: Lift you up
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlbaird85.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Jlbaird85 »

It is so difficult to move up the corporate ladder as a woman. I am so glad someone wrote a book like this to support other women! Thank you for the great review! I will have to add this to my reading list!
All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts

Shakespeare-As You Like It Act II, Scene VII

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”