Official Review: Wild Genesis by Wayne S. Wasechka

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Dolor
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12536
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: Evinall by Adam Witkowski
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Official Review: Wild Genesis by Wayne S. Wasechka

Post by Dolor » 16 May 2019, 00:03

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wild Genesis" by Wayne S. Wasechka.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In 2018, Wild Genesis by Wayne Wasechka was published by Fideli Publishing, Inc. Its slogan (A True Story of Adventure, Friends Lost, and Maturity Found) says it all. It has 13 chapters and includes 2 maps. The book wasn't very long, but the adventure was a roller coaster ride from the beginning to the end. This nonfiction book is a memoir written like a diary. It consists of daily events and adventures starting in 1976, in an attempt to survive in the wilderness of British Columbia, Canada.

Wayne sold his possessions, freed himself from all that bound him to the city, went with his friend (George) to the wilderness of British Columbia, and lived there as the mountain men. They marveled on their small victories - the first rabbit they snared, the first fish they caught, and the day they shot their first duck on the wing. They were both fascinated by the beauty of British Columbia such that they gladly and willingly accepted the risks associated with it. In a place where in an instant may change from fun and games to a life or death situation, how long can they survive?

I could not forget their most memorable near-death experiences. One of which was the disastrous raft ride. If I were in their shoes during that time, I might not survive due to panic. I admired their bravery and presence of mind during critical situations. During winter, the one questionable commodity was their sanity. Depression, isolation, and self-doubt crept into their minds when they were cabin bound. George was torn between the raw beauty of the place and his longing to be in the city, so he decided to go back to civilization. What took my breath away was Wayne's love for speed. He made his way up the sloping hillside until he was three hundred feet up the slope, sat on a deerskin, and skidded down. I found these characters relatable and realistic.

Even though the names used in this book were fictitious, the miles traveled were just estimations, and the journey seemed unbelievable, Wayne attested that the story was a real account of his and his friend's journey into the wilderness of British Columbia, Canada. The author talked about his belief in Wakan Tanka (The Great Spirit) and the medicine wheel. He also mentioned things about karma and reincarnation. I have a different belief, but it's good to know other people's beliefs, too. This journal is a labor of love, and I find it educational, exciting, and challenging. I love the author's writing style which painted a vivid view of the splendid settings and the game in motion. The pace and the adventure made me feel continuously breathless. The ending caught me off-guard.

There was nothing I disliked in this book. I rate Wild Genesis by Wayne Wasechka 3 out of 4 stars. The number of errors hindered me from giving it a perfect rating. I saw a lot of punctuation, grammar, and typo errors. I will not hesitate to give this book a perfect rating after a round of editing. I recommend it to the naturalists and to those who intend to live like the mountain men. Those who are planning to journey in the wilderness of British Columbia, could view this journal as an aid in preparing for their excursion and use it as a guide for what they might expect. Those who are sensitive to contents related to weed smoking and gory scenes may prefer to pass on this one. The author forgot to bring a camera. I would've loved to see some photos of Mother Nature and the wildlife in 1976 - something I have not actually seen in this populated place I'm in.

Wild Genesis
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Dolor's review? Post a comment saying so!

ElizaBeth Adams
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading: The Tattooist of Auschwitz
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Potpourri, Don't Call it Poetry by Rosalyn Rita Nicholas

Post by ElizaBeth Adams » 18 May 2019, 08:16

This sounds pretty amazing. Surviving in a brutal wilderness is no small undertaking. I believe I would enjoy reading about this man's adventures in Canada. Thanks for an excellent review.

ivana7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana7.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by ivana7 » 18 May 2019, 10:33

I am very much interested in truth stories similar to this, especially if the center of action is in the wild, and if it is about the renunciation of modern lifestyle.

Thank you for a very good review.

Rachel Lea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep

Post by Rachel Lea » 18 May 2019, 16:13

I enjoy reading true-life accounts of people who have overcome insurmountable odds. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

TuyetMai
Currently Reading: Raptor
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tuyetmai.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by TuyetMai » 20 May 2019, 03:11

Great review! I really enjoy reading your analysis of the book. It sounds like a remarkable adventure.

Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto » 20 May 2019, 10:15

I would read this for the beauty depicted of British Columbia. The mention of the mountain adventure got me. Thanks for the enjoyable review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Post by kandscreeley » 20 May 2019, 10:51

It's too bad about the errors in this one. I admire those people that have these wild adventures in their lives. I've never been that type of person; I'm much more organized and planned out. It would be interesting to read about. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 67
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 06 Jun 2019, 11:34

How many of us would be able to survive without all the trappings of technology? I agree with your comment about the camera, and you have me wondering about the ending! Thanks for an intriguing review.

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 567
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Killing Vincent; The Man, The Myth, and The Murder by I. Kaufman Arenberg MD
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 06 Jun 2019, 18:49

I'm curious to know how the two friends lived in the wild. (I can't help but think of a bundled-upTarzan.)Too bad they don't have pictures to show for it.

allbooked+
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by allbooked+ » 09 Jun 2019, 23:56

I don't usually reach for a memoir but this one sounds quite different! Wonderful review.

Lunastella
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading: Without a Trace
Bookshelf Size: 1189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunastella.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Lunastella » 19 Jun 2019, 20:00

I wonder what prompted the author just to leave everything behind and pursue this adventure. Maybe it's related to the beliefs you mention?
I can't picture myself doing something like that, but that's what literature's for, right? I can live his adventure while still sitting on my couch :P .
It's very unfortunate that the book doesn't include pictures, but with another editing round, it seems like a great book.
Thank you for your review!

ParadoxicalWoman
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 427
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paradoxicalwoman.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by ParadoxicalWoman » 21 Jun 2019, 05:51

Such an adventurous book! I'm amazed at the experience of this author and his bravery. I love reading adventure books and wouldn't hesitate to add this one to my TBR list.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”