Official Review: From Savagery to Civilization

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: From Savagery to Civilization

Post by Renu G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Savagery to Civilization" by Vincent Hannity.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I saw From Savagery to Civilization: The Power of Greek Mythology, I instantly decided to read it. It is an excellent book authored by Vincent Hannity who has been exploring classic literature for more than 50 years.

The book begins with a timeline of the classical world and a map of ancient Greece and Italy. The writer explicates the commonalities between ancient myths: war and bloodshed, graphic sexuality by gods and men, human endurance in suffering, heroic warriors, goddesses and women of alluring beauty and sexuality, and examples of authentic humanity (love and compassion). An underlying theme runs through these myths although they are diverse and arise from different contexts. They convey the story of the maturation of Greek culture from savagery to civilization.

I enjoyed reading Hannity’s analysis of the Bronze Age (3000-1000 BC) which was “nasty, brutish, and short.” Further on, his explanation made me aware of how people survived through hardship and suffering to become wiser and more sophisticated. I liked his narratives of the creation myths and critique of Freud’s theory of the Oedipus complex. One of the most touching scenes is where two enemies (Priam and Achilles) weep together. This is my favorite part of the book.

The theme of suffering, dying, and rising in classic literature has surprised me and is causing me to reflect on how it must have influenced Christianity. Reading this book will probably have an impact on my theological reflections in the future. The author’s analysis of Greek texts and how they influenced Roman/Latin literature is intriguing. Although I have explored classical western philosophy, and the themes considered in this book are not new to me, I have personally gained a lot from it. The author explains the development of classical mythology from savagery to civilization.

Hannity has a degree in English, and this book is very well edited. I did not find a single grammatical error. The font is suitable for the theme, and the text glows with clarity of thought as well as depth. The illustrations by Erin Ann Jensen have a profound impact on the reader. On the cover page, the artist depicts the essence of Greek mythology through the portrait of a person with tearful eyes. The poignant humanness of this personality exudes from the sketch.

For all the above reasons, I am very happy to award this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it for adults who are interested in learning more about classical western literature. Scripture scholars and theologians doing research on Judaism and Christianity will benefit immensely from the author’s insights. Philosophers, psychologists, poets, and dramatists will also find it very entertaining.

From Savagery to Civilization
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Renu G's review? Post a comment saying so!
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

This is the kind of book I feel I ought to read, but probably won't! Great review, though - you make this book sound very interesting.
Imela Irene
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Imela Irene »

Civilization by Vincent Hannity Is a,very good book to review I have learned a lot About sexual abuse many girls are suffering because of sexual abuse I have learn thatmost of the beautiful girls are being asexually hurrused by gods that's where girl get problems during their birth
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

Your review is very well-written and this book sounds fascinating. I've always been irresistibly drawn to the stories of ancient mythologies, particularly the Greek myths. I loved how you included how the book affected your own thinking personally. Great job!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

Great review. I enjoy history and the connection between a culture and its literature. However, this time period is not my cup of nerdom. Thanks for your thoughts.
GatugiM
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatugim.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by GatugiM »

The book sounds very interesting and I like how you have written your review. Thanks to your review am drawn to reading this book.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author's fifty years of research gives weight to the depth of his knowledge. This sounds very intriguing. I really liked your recommendations . Great review. Thanks.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds great if you really like classical literature or mythology. I'm not really into either, and I think this would be more like reading a textbook for me - simply a drudgery. I'm glad you enjoyed it, but I'm passing.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

Oedipus complex, wow I have not heard that term in in decades! A long time ago I thought Greek mythology was a bit interesting so I think I will add this book to my bookshelves.
Thanks for the descriptive review!
amjohnson13
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

"Hannity has a degree in English, and this book is very well edited. I did not find a single grammatical error. The font is suitable for the theme, and the text glows with clarity of thought as well as depth. The illustrations by Erin Ann Jensen have a profound impact on the reader."
Well, I'm sold. Thanks for the recommendation and the equally well-written review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Clemens Nickleby
Favorite Book: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Currently Reading: Free Plants for Everyone
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clemens-nickleby.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Clemens Nickleby »

I would instantly choose to read this book too!
Truth is stranger than Fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't. Mark Twain
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks »

Nice review. The book is fanscinating, interesting, nice and enjoyable to read. The review describes it all and definitely would love to read it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”