Official Review: Every Now and Zen by Ronald Steven Kaplan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Renu G
2019 Reading Goal: 365
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 19
Currently Reading: Pursuing a Better Tomorrow
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: Training Law Enforcement Officers by Rick Giovengo

Official Review: Every Now and Zen by Ronald Steven Kaplan

Post by Renu G » 11 May 2019, 03:01

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Every Now and Zen" by Ronald Steven Kaplan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I was really captivated by the illustrations in Every Now and Zen: On the Nature of Being and Becoming. Ronald Steven Kaplan reveals his deeply philosophical and mystical insight/s through colorful photographs, brief quotations, and poems. The book offers many insights into the author’s experiences of the universe, but it also conveys “one” overarching insight into “one” experience of Ultimate Reality. I think it is similar to Advaita or non-dualism and other eastern philosophies like Zen in Buddhism.

The essence of this book is the outcome of around 45 years of Kaplan’s life experience. He narrates how he was inspired more than 40 years ago by the title of another book: Be Here Now by Ram Dass. Soon after he finished writing this book, he was fortunate to discover Dass’ manuscript in a bookshop. It seemed to have some connection with Kaplan’s own “spiritual emergence and inquiry as to the nature of being and consciousness.”

The book consists of three parts: “On the Nature of Being,” “On the Nature of Becoming,” and “On the Nature of Completion.” The poet expresses the beauty of his personal revelations with a remarkable play of words. “Once upon now… there was no-thing, no-where, now here.” He expresses the wonder of being as well as the workings of the mind and consciousness in a thought-provoking and humorous manner. He connects the Self with the innumerable selves, highlighting the paradox of wholeness and duality.

I appreciate the use of mandala (circular) designs which convey a depth of meaning. His explanation of the relationship between cause and effect is also interesting. I love the concluding part “On the Nature of Completion” which consists of original reflections and practical applications of the contents of this book to daily life. There is nothing that I disliked in his writings.

For all the reasons stated above, I am very happy to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It deserves nothing less. The notes are well edited, and I did not come across any grammatical errors. Although it is short and sweet (with only 129 pages), Every Now and Zen is very deep and enriching.

I wholeheartedly recommend it for philosophers, poets, and mystics. It will be easier to grasp if one has a background of metaphysics (philosophy of the nature of reality and being which includes ontology, cosmology, and epistemology) as well as phenomenology (the study of the structures of experience and consciousness). Those who are spiritually inclined or have a mystical orientation to life will also enjoy reading it. Kaplan wishes to offer “these nuggets of wisdom (or folly) as ‘Cosmic Breadcrumbs’ in the realization of the nature of being, and the desire of fully becoming the best version of yourself.”

Every Now and Zen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Renu G's review? Post a comment saying so!

Rachel Lea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by Rachel Lea » 12 May 2019, 08:00

Books of this genre are not typically my cup of tea so I think that I will pass, but nevertheless, Every Now and Zen sounds like a well-written work with a lot of interesting ideas (I like the punny title :) ). Great review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requeim
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Yesterday's Gone by Diane Bardeen

Post by kdstrack » 12 May 2019, 08:26

The author has taken his time, after many years of experience and research, to share his thoughts. It is motivating to come across books that are well expressed and well edited. Thanks.

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Meg98 » 12 May 2019, 10:34

I am not particularly a fan of this genre, so I think I will pass on this one. But I am glad you enjoyed it, and it does sound like an interesting collection of spiritual/philosophical themes; just not my cup of tea:) Thank you for your thorough and excellent review. Well done!

T_stone
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 15
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading: Boy 2 Man
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Winning Baseball: A Simple Game of 10 by Les Gerdin
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 12 May 2019, 12:14

I'm sure I enjoy the word play in this book. I like when books in this genre are well-edited; it helps the flow and understanding. Thanks for this piece of info!
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

TinyikoS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinyikos.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by TinyikoS » 12 May 2019, 16:23

Great review ,but I'm not reading this one..

amjohnson13mommy
2019 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by amjohnson13mommy » 13 May 2019, 13:04

I have heard the word Zen before but only knew it is a religious term. So thank you for the explanation. I enjoyed reading your review and am debating on whether I would like to read this book or not. I think I will add it to my bookshelves.
amjohnson13

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”