Official Review: Killing Vincent by I. Kaufman Arenberg MD

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Yolimari
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 66
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yolimari.html
Latest Review: Killing Vincent; The Man, The Myth, and The Murder by I. Kaufman Arenberg MD

Official Review: Killing Vincent by I. Kaufman Arenberg MD

Post by Yolimari » 10 May 2019, 08:44

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Killing Vincent" by I. Kaufman Arenberg MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Known as one of the most influential artists in the Western world, Vincent van Gogh was a Dutch painter and a leading figure of the Post-Impressionism French art movement. A prolific artist, he completed approximately 2,100 art pieces, counting 900 oil paintings and 1,100 sketches and drawings. Among his most famous oil paintings are The Starry Night (1889), Café Terrace at Night (1888), Self-Portrait with Bandaged Ear (1889), and The Potato Eaters (1885). But artists, art historians, and people, in general, have not only being attracted to Vincent's vibrant color palette, hidden symbolism, and emotional, dramatic brushstrokes but also his turbulent and eccentric life. His life was so tempestuous that Vincent has gone down in history as a madman and a genius who committed suicide by shooting himself in the abdomen. Most experts believe this suicide narrative, but recent research indicates that someone murdered the painter.

In Killing Vincent: The Man, The Myth, and The Murder, Dr. Irving Kaufman Arenberg argues that Vincent van Gogh did not commit suicide, and he was murdered in the pleasant town of Auvers-sur-Oise, France. Vincent lived his last 70 days in this town after his discharge from an asylum at Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, where he was a patient for a year. According to the author, Vincent came out of the asylum cured of his health issues; therefore, his last 70 days in Auvers-sur-Oise were "his calmest, most peaceful, and most productive time." Also, the author believes that Vincent found love with the daughter of Dr. Paul-Ferdinand Gachet, the doctor taking care of him during that period. For these reasons, it is not likely that Vincent ended his life. Besides, the author provides modern forensic evidence that does not support the suicide narrative that has been accepted as an evident truth for 129 years. So, who did it and why?

I chose to read this book because I love the study of humanities and historical mysteries. I knew notably about Vincent van Gogh's masterpieces but little about his life and death. After reading this fascinating book, I gained a comprehensive understanding of his life, work, and death. I learned about Vincent's painting periods, his unhappy childhood, his relationship with his brother Theo, his failed romantic relationships, his mental and physical conditions, and his career. More than that, the author convinced me of Vincent's death being a murder rather than a suicide with his extensive and detailed research.

Dr. Arenberg made a detailed analysis of Vincent's last 70 days. He discussed thoroughly all of the individuals involved in the painter's life at the time, like his brother Theo, Dr. Paul-Ferdinand Gachet, and Marguerite Gachet. Dr. Arenberg brought up the noteworthy testimonies of Adeline Ravoux, Madame Liberge, and Giselle Baize. He presented the reader with the possible suspects of the murder, like Paul Gachet Jr. and the Secrétan brothers. He explained which could have been their motives and which weapons they could have used. On top of all that, the author reenacted the murder scene with modern forensics. My favorite part about reading this book was my astonishment when I read the forensic evidence that supports the theory of murder. At that moment, I thought that the appropriate authorities need to do an exhumation of Vincent's body to confirm that someone murdered him.

I believe that Dr. Arenberg has made a significant contribution to the art and history worlds with this book. However, the book needs some improvements. It requires further editing, as I found more than 10 grammatical errors, mostly consisting of incorrect punctuation and spacing between words. The font size of the letters is too small for my taste. The book is long, and the small font size made it feel longer. Readers with eyesight problems might find the font size to be a challenge. In addition to the editing and font size, I thought that the author's writing style is repetitive. The repetition of facts, like the identity of the suspects and whether or not Vincent was carrying his painting materials the day he was mortally wounded, was unnecessary. In other words, I think the book could have been shorter.

For the reasons explained above, I rate Killing Vincent: The Man, The Myth, and The Murder by Dr. Irving Kaufman Arenberg 3 out of 4 stars. The book is an outstanding piece of immaculate research on Vincent van Gogh's life and death despite the enhancements it needs. I seriously recommend it to art historians, artists, historians, art and history fanatics, and those who enjoy reading about intriguing historical mysteries. I am hooked on this mystery, and I hope the authorities allow forensic archaeologists to dig up and examine Vincent van Gogh's body.

Killing Vincent
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Descent of the Phoenix by Morgan Paul Cooper

Post by kandscreeley » 13 May 2019, 14:07

This sounds quite interesting if you enjoy the art world. It's not something I could ever get into; I'm not sure I care whether Van Gogh was killed or committed suicide. Perhaps that's not the right view, but there it is. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I hope the author fixes the issues that you found. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Rachel Lea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by Rachel Lea » 13 May 2019, 15:15

I've always thought that Vincent van Gogh was a very tragic character. The emergence of this book and Arenberg's speculation into the real cause of the painter's death only cements that impression further into my head. What's worse than suicide but being murdered just when your life was finally getting better? Poor van Gogh couldn't catch a break.

Very well-written review. Arenberg obviously put a lot of work into this book, even if his writing style is lacking. Thank you!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

ElizaBeth Adams
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Currently Reading: The Tattooist of Auschwitz
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Miller's View by Marlene W Potts

Post by ElizaBeth Adams » 13 May 2019, 17:34

When this was book of the day, I was greatly intrigued by its premise, though I haven't found the time to read it yet. The thought that van Gogh was potentially murdered and there is forensic evidence that supports this is amazing to me. It's a shame that there are still errors. I think I can overlook them. I will carve out some time to read it, eventually. Thanks for your thoughts.

Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Janelle Juncos » 13 May 2019, 20:06

Fantastically well-written review! I love a good historical mystery as well. Maybe the author will find his way to a good editor. Thanks for writing!

Quickstudy
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Quickstudy » 13 May 2019, 20:12

This book is an amazing find. I do not know much about art or the suicide Van Gogh. However, this book sheds light and informs the reader of the dark cloud that shadows Van Gogh.

Brendan Donaghy
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Brendan Donaghy » 14 May 2019, 02:35

This sounds like a fascinating book and a very good piece of research on the part of the author. Your review does the book justice!

Ellylion
Favorite Book: Angelology
Currently Reading: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Ellylion » 14 May 2019, 07:34

How interesting! I've read Van Gogh's biography quite some time ago, but it never occurred to me that he could have been murdered. The book seems to be based on a solid research, and it's too pity the font size is too small.. Anyway, I would definitely check this one out, because I do love reading about the famous artists :) Thank you for a great review!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requeim
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Yesterday's Gone by Diane Bardeen

Post by kdstrack » 14 May 2019, 19:50

The author seems to have some convincing evidence to make you call for an exhumation. It is fascinating how new technologies can influence long-held beliefs. This looks quite intriguing. Thanks so much for the recommendation!

Nisha Ward
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Currently Reading: I Is a Long Memoried Woman
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Three Witches and the Three Headed Dagger by Henry Regnault
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 15 May 2019, 07:41

Conspiracy theories are interesting in themselves but theories backed up by science and history? Those are the most fascinating as there's often a chance that they could be true. I hope Dr. Arenberg takes note of your comments because it sounds like an absolutely fascinating look at Van Gogh.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book: Can I Kill Him Now?
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 561
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: We Have Met the Enemy by Felicia A. Watson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 15 May 2019, 10:54

I also wish that the truth can be told to exonerate Vincent. Wherever he is, I hope he has found peace and joy and continues to paint with passion.

Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368

Post by Uinto » 17 May 2019, 04:18

Will be interesting to know who killed this great artist and his motive. Thanks for your informative review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”