Review by Rachel Lea -- A Roadmap To Career Success

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Rachel Lea -- A Roadmap To Career Success

Post by Rachel Lea »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Roadmap To Career Success" by John G Bendt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Have you thought seriously about what you want to do for a living, and what it will take to get a great job after college?” John G. Bendt questions the reader pointedly in his opening preface. “Do you want to have a career full of work that you love to do? Or do you want to end up like many college graduates who have no clear direction, or take jobs that are not what they really had hoped to do?”

Bendt asks you the reader to imagine yourself as a recently graduated college student at your five-year high-school reunion. Like many college grads, things haven’t worked out for you the way you hoped and the job that you were able to get is “not your first choice.” But also at this party is a fellow classmate of yours and according to all your friends, he has “made it.” He’s got a great job, he’s making money, and he’s even got a brand-new sports car to show off at his high-school reunion. What did your classmate do in high-school—that your imaginary self in this scenario didn’t do—that got him to where he is now?

John G. Bendt’s A Roadmap to Career Success is a manual specifically geared towards high-school age individuals and is designed as a practical, step-by-step guide to lead young adults towards success in their future careers. Small but potent, Bendt’s book is chock full of excellent, real-world advice. His chapters are organized in a way that makes it easy to just jump in and reference whichever topic best applies to you, and he writes in a manner that is simple, to the point, and easy to understand. He also lists many different sources that readers can use to get access to more helpful information.

Several of the author’s tips stood out to me, including his counsel in chapter three to “bundle” your skills—meaning that an individual should carefully research, choose, and then mindfully develop both the hard and soft skills that are best suited for the job that he or she wants to have. Bendt’s advice on keeping a career journal for reference in order to create a better resume is an awesome idea, and I also thought his injunction to collect letters of recommendation from former supervisors is very savvy. Of most interest to me personally, as someone who is already well into her career, were chapters five through eight, where the author talks about how to hone your professional skills post-college, how to market yourself to employers, and how to further build on your existing career.

I think books like this should be mandatory reading in high-schools. I really like how the author states that he gave the same advice in this volume to his own four children and that each of them is now, as he states, “happy and doing well in their careers today.” The proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes. I give A Roadmap to Career Success a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I really wanted to give this practical little manual four stars, but unfortunately had to bump it down because of the many grammar errors throughout.

Bendt sums up the spirit of his book well in his preface when he cites this quote attributed to Confucius, “If you enjoy what you do, you’ll never work another day in your life.” This was an excellent book—with great advice even for people who are long past high-school—and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

A Roadmap To Career Success
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rachel Lea's review? Post a comment saying so!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I love that Confucius quote! It would be of great value for young people to plan their futures more consciously. Desires can change, of course, but I guess that's okay too. Great review!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 16 May 2019, 07:39 I love that Confucius quote! It would be of great value for young people to plan their futures more consciously. Desires can change, of course, but I guess that's okay too. Great review!
Thank you so much! :)
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

A career journal is such a great idea! I would definitely take it into consideration so as the book itself :) Thank you for an excellent review!
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

Ellylion wrote: 16 May 2019, 08:28 A career journal is such a great idea! I would definitely take it into consideration so as the book itself :) Thank you for an excellent review!
Aww, thank you, Ellylion! :)
Jlbaird85
Currently Reading: Lift you up
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlbaird85.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Jlbaird85 »

Thank you for the excellent review! I will have to share this one with my family members who are entering college!
All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts

Shakespeare-As You Like It Act II, Scene VII
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

Jlbaird85 wrote: 17 May 2019, 21:11 Thank you for the excellent review! I will have to share this one with my family members who are entering college!
Yes, it would definitely be useful! Thank you so much! :)
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I think a lack of focus throws a lot of highschoolers off, and this book might be able to narrow their focus! Thanks for your review and I'll be sure to share this book with family :)
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

Firefawkes wrote: 18 May 2019, 17:03 I think a lack of focus throws a lot of highschoolers off, and this book might be able to narrow their focus! Thanks for your review and I'll be sure to share this book with family :)
Awesome! Thank you! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

The ideas of the career journal and collecting letters of recommendation as you go are excellent. This book should definitely be required reading for high school students. Thank you for a very thorough and informative review!
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

Bluebird03 wrote: 18 May 2019, 21:21 The ideas of the career journal and collecting letters of recommendation as you go are excellent. This book should definitely be required reading for high school students. Thank you for a very thorough and informative review!
Yes, this book was full of great advice! Thank you so much, Bluebird03! :)
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The transition from high school to a career one truly enjoys is usually an unchartered course for many young adults. It's helpful to have all the help one can get. Your review highlights this well. Awesome!!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

Cotwani wrote: 19 May 2019, 02:44 The transition from high school to a career one truly enjoys is usually an unchartered course for many young adults. It's helpful to have all the help one can get. Your review highlights this well. Awesome!!
Thank you, Cotwani! :)
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

Honestly, at my age sometimes i still do not know what i want or what to do..i really need this book
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

imSunshine wrote: 19 May 2019, 08:40 Honestly, at my age sometimes i still do not know what i want or what to do..i really need this book
I think you would find it really helpful! Thanks for reading my review! :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”