Official Review: Truth by S. A. Stitz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
prospero360
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 144
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero360.html
Latest Review: One consciousness Simulation of consciousness instruction manual by Anthony.W.White

Official Review: Truth by S. A. Stitz

Post by prospero360 » 01 May 2019, 19:43

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Truth" by S. A. Stitz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Truth: Sacred Spiritual Awakening, S. A. Stitz aims to guide people who seek to find their true purpose in life and achieve "spiritual awakening." It is the author's belief that in order for one to emerge or transcend to one's true purpose, one must know about and satisfy one's "Hungry Ghost" (Man's need to fulfill his ultimate reason for being) and follow the true path that is devoid of personal ego, delusions, misbeliefs, and misconceptions.

Reading spiritual books is usually something I look forward to, as they have been important for me in many areas of my life, especially self-discovery, and are always a good source of inspiration. I didn't expect any less from Truth, and after reading it, I would say that I learned a lot from it and resonated with some of the things the author said, but the book was also a controversial read for me. The first thing I liked about the book was the author's straight to the point approach, not wasting too much time in introducing his beliefs to the readers. This feature of the book ensured that the book didn't span too long and the author still managed to give an in-depth lesson on "Awakening."

The author goes on to tell the reader, in detail, how they can become awakened, citing meditation as one of the methods and talking about different forms of meditation and why we meditate. I was quite confused when the author mentioned sexual contact as a form of meditation and was disappointed when he didn't elaborate on it. I resonated very well with his messages on loving without expectations. I also enjoyed his lessons on mindfulness (a state of being in the moment) which is practiced heavily in Buddhism. Furthermore, It seemed like the author preferred Buddhism as the true religion, as he branded virtually all religions as "devoid in meaningful value," while a few of his methods were similar to Buddhism practices. These are parts of the book that a few readers will find controversial and disrespectful, and I, personally, would have preferred it if the author had focused solely on teaching readers about his beliefs and avoided unnecessary distractions.

In addition, even though the author maintained that the feeling of being awakened isn't a feeling one can put into words, I would have appreciated an attempt at explaining what it feels like for him and how it has affected his life. The absence of this feature made the book unrelatable at times. The book also lacks information about supplementary books to read if one wants to know more about awakening. The only point where the author offers suggestions for supplementary books was where he recommended "any Zen Buddhist instruction book" for more information on the silent sitting practice. Not giving the name of specific books struck me as lazy.

Overall, reading Truth was a mixed experience for me. There were inspirational moments, but a few controversial statements reduced my enjoyment of the book. Even though I found three grammar errors in the book, I would say that the book is very well edited. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, as it is a well written inspirational book. However, I took out a star for the lack of supplementary books and the book's unrelatability. I would recommend this book to people interested in Buddhism, self-discovery, and inspirational books. However, people of other religions may not like some things about the book.

Truth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!

Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 681
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Love's The Only House by Debra Godsee

Post by Kibetious » 04 May 2019, 08:05

This seems to contain some subjects that I will not agree with the author especially attack on other religions. It seems to contain some important and practical life tips though. Thanks for the review.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requeim
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Yesterday's Gone by Diane Bardeen

Post by kdstrack » 04 May 2019, 13:24

This idea of mindfulness and being "awoke" is becoming more prevalent in our society. I do not agree with the author's basis for truth. Thanks for your thoughtful review.

Brendan Donaghy
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Brendan Donaghy » 05 May 2019, 10:16

I wasn't quite sure what this was going to be about when I saw the title. I'm not a big fan of spiritual guides, so I think I'll give this one a miss. Thanks for a great review, though!

Alveena nabi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alveena nabi » 05 May 2019, 12:24

I don't have any interest in spiritual guide nd all tht...

Preshlie
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Preshlie » 10 May 2019, 13:52

Religious controversy...am out
Nice review though

CyndiA1
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndia1.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CyndiA1 » 16 May 2019, 20:39

I enjoyed your review. The book title had me curious. It's not a book I'd read though. It sounds like one of those flash in the pan things that is getting buzz right now.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”