Review by Tymon Benz -- Manifesto for a Cancer Patient

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tymon Benz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tymon-benz.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Review by Tymon Benz -- Manifesto for a Cancer Patient

Post by Tymon Benz »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Manifesto for a Cancer Patient" by Colleen Huber, NMD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I give kudos to Dr. Huber for removing the veil on my eyes and having exposed me to the basic basis of cancer evolution and the fundamental importance of exercise alongside with vitamin A, D, C. "If you deprived a cell of oxygen, you damage its energy producing apparatus, now known as the mitochondrial, and it is at that point that the cell turns cancerous" by Otto Warburg, from Dr. Huber's text. This asserts the influence of oxygen in a typical cell, and that exercise helps in increasing the in take of oxygen. In reality, I shall not give ignorant attention to exercise any more, but rather painstakingly indulges in it, so as to experience a better body functioning system as proposed by Dr. Huber.

"Manifesto for a Cancer Patient" by Colleen Huber, NMD is a non-fiction book that focuses on the sovereignty of the individual who receives a cancer diagnosis. The book introduces an alternative (natural treatment of cancer) to chemotherapy which some cancer patients think to be the best for them. I believe their orientations will change after reading this book. "Manifesto for a cancer patient" debunks chemotherapy and proposes a natural treatment of cancer including: engaging in exercise, taking of Ketogenic diet(80% of fats & 20% proteins and carbohydrates), use of vitamin A, D, C etcetera. The book gives inklings on how food choices can make life or death difference in cancer. I felt bore at the inception of this book, but as I progress in the reading, I got hooked with my curiosity aroused and had no choice other than to finish the reading. Some pages are indispensable.

Dr. Huber speaks in her book of some hospitals that take advantage of timid patients, diagnosing what is not right to patients; Sarah's case was cited as example and I so much love this cited example as it discloses that "no one is ever perfect" even including the so-called professionals at all fields. Truly hilarious, Dr. Huber made herself a guardian to Sarah and showcased her proficiency in medicine which has added savours to this book and augmented her ego to me the reader and I am sure to Sarah too.

I love the material sources being used in the text, such as the citing of "Otto Warburg", nobel physicist who showed in 1921, that glucose fuels cancer's growth and that cancer is dependent on glucose for fermentation as its default metabolite. I love the mice experiment, it informed me on lack of exercise and sedentary life style, as sedentary lifestyle can induces cancer. Dr. Huber says she exercises for about 270 minutes per week, and encourages that for the more fit ones: after reading this clause, I paused and smiled, wondering on how committed and serious she is, if she can be exercising for that time frames per week, then what stops me from doing more?. I am not ignorant of exercise anyway, I do engage in it whenever I am hilarious but not on routine. I do over 70-push ups, 15-20-press ups whenever I feel fit. But having read this book has accrued my keenness and given me a basic reason of not jettisoning it. I was surprised to see a sample weekly food plan, and the author's integrity( recommendation of Stevia to cancer patients to displaces Sugar which she also is adhering to, she doesn't take sugar or sweeteners except for Stevia). I'm sure if the world could have myriad of authors like Dr. Huber, the world would attains betterment which would solaced the globe as a whole.

Well, I make myself now a critic. What helped me in comprehending the book is my knowledge of biochemistry, if not, I would not have understood most of the used biochemistry terms such as: triglycerides(Pg. 119), isomaltose glycoside hydrolases(Pg. 121), etcetera though I was forwarned at the book's preface. The book is written as if its for those at medical field: what of those outside medicine?. I will be glad if Dr. Huber amends her writing style, come down to the vast readers levels, and garnishes her books with simplicity, that every one having the ability to read can comprehend, and I am certain adhering to this will give Dr. Huber sparkles of radiance and will propagates her work. Also, the death records were quite much, though the number of those on remission supersedes that of those that died, still, the death records were posing discouragement, and the fault is not within the author's spectrum but the patient's choice; as cited in the book " We should make our choices with eyes wide open". Some typos were also noticed such as: breaks in between some words.

However, in all way round, I love this book. The charming aspects outweigh my criticism: I can say 80%/20%( 80% charming aspects, 20% criticism). With full relevance to the details above, I hereby rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to all cancer patients as it will points out the major mistakes that cancer patients make, and the dietary plan that must be adopted by cancer patients. The non-cancer patients are not left out, as it will get you informed on the working principles of cancer and help you to confidently tell a cancer patient that "Having cancer is not the end, but a challenge that can be overcome without much expense.

Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Tymon Benz's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”