Official Review: The Gospel Resurrected by David Strickland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Renu G
2019 Reading Goal: 365
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 19
Currently Reading: Pursuing a Better Tomorrow
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: Training Law Enforcement Officers by Rick Giovengo

Official Review: The Gospel Resurrected by David Strickland

Post by Renu G » 30 Apr 2019, 13:49

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gospel Resurrected" by David Strickland.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dave Strickland’s The Gospel Resurrected is an attempt to reconstruct the record of the life of Jesus Christ. The author tries to fuse the accounts of the four canonical gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John) in the New Testament, blends them with the Aquarian and Nazarene gospels and adds information from other minor ancient texts. He also refers to the private revelations of Marilynn Hughes and Rudolf Steiner.

Strickland believes that the real Gospel has been suppressed and needs to be restored. The reasons offered by him sound bizarre. Although the book is meticulously written in academic language, he does not mention his qualifications in the field of biblical studies. He comes across as a conspiracy theorist who wishes to make the world believe in his subjective interpretation of history, much like what he is condemning about other scholars. I think it is important to remember that divine revelation to the Church as a community is larger than an individual’s private interpretations and preferences. There may be thousands of men and women like Strickland who believe in their own combination of personally selected source materials. One could ask why the author chooses the gospels mentioned above and not some others.

The book describes how digital channels have made it possible for people to access resources that were formerly available only to researchers. They question how the biblical canon (a set of texts certified as authoritative) was decided and whether the councils of the early church did so under the influence of the Holy Spirit or because of vested interests and ulterior motives. People might make similar statements about the credibility of Strickland’s theory. How can he prove that he is guided by the Holy Spirit and does not have ulterior motives?

The Fathers of the Church have left many volumes of exegesis of biblical accounts which are not mentioned in this book. Thus, Strickland seems to reject Sacred Tradition. I think my faith as an individual is very small in front of the immense treasure that the early Christian communities received under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Millions of people have been touched by the four gospels in the New Testament. On the contrary, the Gnostic writings have created a lot of confusion in the minds of the followers of Jesus Christ. They go against the core of the Christian faith and revelation.

The Gospel Resurrected seems to have been professionally edited because I found only one typo. There is nothing specific that I liked about its contents. However, the artistic font is very difficult to read, and this is what I most disliked. I hope the author will change it. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Biblical scholars and theologians will find it interesting and may wish to respond to the author’s arguments. The points mentioned by Strickland are controversial, but they are questions anyone serious about his or her faith could raise. In fact, reading the book and facing the challenges could deepen the convictions of those who research and reflect on its contents.

The Gospel Resurrected
View: on Bookshelves

Like Renu G's review? Post a comment saying so!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requeim
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Yesterday's Gone by Diane Bardeen

Post by kdstrack » 05 May 2019, 00:04

I commend you for your honest review of this book. Your insightful comments on the author's authority and his questioning the established canon are thoughtful and fair. I thoroughly enjoyed your conclusions about the book's contents. Thanks for your astute observations about this book!

Brendan Donaghy
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Brendan Donaghy » 05 May 2019, 10:05

Sounds like an interesting book. The fact that the author is taking a slightly controversial view of the gospels is sure to generate a good deal of debate - perhaps that's the writer's objective? Thanks for a great review!

Agnes098
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes098.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Agnes098 » 05 May 2019, 11:10

That's the same question I asked myself while reading this review. Why is the author only focusing on the gospels of Jesus and not Paul's letters or the entire bible ?

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Meg98 » 05 May 2019, 17:24

It sounds like an interesting read, but I am not sure about the author and his views/beliefs. Religion is incredibly subjective, and often can be quite enthralling to read and discuss with others, but I think I will pass for now on this story... just not sure it is for me. Thank you for your great review. It is very well written!

eagermagic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eagermagic.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by eagermagic » 05 May 2019, 17:27

I am new here and do not know all the paths of communication, but some one should know this: the book cover picture that goes with this review is NOT the book you are reviewing. My computer is showing a book about Linked In with your review. The Strickland book is not displayed. My apologies if this is not the proper method for pointing this out.

Renu G
2019 Reading Goal: 365
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 19
Currently Reading: Pursuing a Better Tomorrow
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: Training Law Enforcement Officers by Rick Giovengo

Post by Renu G » 06 May 2019, 00:38

eagermagic wrote: ↑
05 May 2019, 17:27
I am new here and do not know all the paths of communication, but some one should know this: the book cover picture that goes with this review is NOT the book you are reviewing. My computer is showing a book about Linked In with your review. The Strickland book is not displayed. My apologies if this is not the proper method for pointing this out.
Thanks! Admin has already been informed about the issue.

DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by DogoMulla » 06 May 2019, 05:38

Religious material can be very sensitive and controversial. I feel like Christianity is the most hit in this regard. Thank you for the review.

Jlbaird85
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Lift you up
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlbaird85.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by Jlbaird85 » 06 May 2019, 08:53

Great review! It sounds like I would not be a fan of this book based on the controversial issues you discuss. While I understand people questioning and searching for answers, I believe that faith is a requirement when talking about Christianity especially when it pertains to accepting the early church’s guidance by the Holy Spirit on the compilation on the texts that form the Bible.
All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts

Shakespeare-As You Like It Act II, Scene VII

jlrinc
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlrinc.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jlrinc » 09 May 2019, 03:22

Its hard to tell about this book because some so called biblical scholarship is pretty iffy. Some is rather good. I'd like to read this book and find out what conclusions he does draw about the life of Jesus. The gospels don't really tell you much about the man.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”