Official Review: Pseudo-Green Leftism and True Green Cons...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
rssllue
Beardmaster of Bookshelves
2019 Reading Goal: 190
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 46
2018 Reading Goal: 190
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 74
2017 Reading Goal: 190
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 29
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: The Festival
Bookshelf Size: 583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: A Crack In The Plaster by Martie Zuckerman
fav_author_id: 2881

Official Review: Pseudo-Green Leftism and True Green Cons...

Post by rssllue » 29 Apr 2019, 13:49

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pseudo-Green Leftism and True Green Conservatism" by Bruce Walker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Almost all of us have heard something about being more “green” throughout the course of our daily lives. It is almost impossible to get through a day without hearing some catastrophic prediction or warning about how badly the planet is being treated by us in various ways. It can leave us feeling hopeless or even guilty about just driving to the store or taking a shower. But what is the true mindset of many of those that lecture us about all things ”green” and where exactly did it come from (and where is it headed for that matter)? Questions such as these are answered by Bruce Walker in his book, Pseudo-Green Leftism and True Green Conservatism.

As I am sure you can tell by the title, Mr. Walker is coming at this subject by delving into the ideology behind the “green” movement and how this affects the perspective of its proponents. He actually makes the case that many more people care about the environment than those who are the most vocal are willing to admit to. Also, that the groups that are often most maligned as not caring in any way about our world are really the ones who actually put their true efforts into preserving the environment to a much greater extent than those who just seem to keep talking rather than acting.

The book is broken down into seven basic sections that go through the basics of the “green” ideology from both of the standpoints that the author titles his book with. He goes through the subject from a variety of angles throughout the book. He looks at it from an economic standpoint that affects both the micro of the personal as well as the macro in the influence on the global marketplace. He also plumbs down into the actual actions of stewardship and how the various ways we live truly affect the environment around us. Mr. Walker definitely brings up many ideas and perspectives that get the reader to think about this subject in a real, enlightened way that many probably have never thought of before when thinking about our relation to the planet.

I really enjoyed the author’s methodology of going back through history to give perspective for us to see where different groups and individuals actually acted and how that lined up with their stated beliefs. This made for what felt like a very informed read and drew my interest right from the start of the book. Though the book itself is rather short, he was still able to pack it with a lot of information, statistics, and scenarios that made it a very filling and informative read.

One of the things that I had a problem with was the fact that not all of the data given was sourced with footnotes. I think that this would have definitely given me more insight into where I could see the same information for myself for further study into the topics brought up in the book. I know that not everybody cares about footnotes or think they are necessary, but I just feel like they would add even more to the book if they would have been included, especially for a nonfiction book such as this.

I also found a decent amount of typos and grammar errors sprinkled throughout the book, though they were not too distracting overall from the read.

There was no swearing or coarse language used at all in the book.

Overall, I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I think that the content is done really well, but with the spelling and grammar errors, paired with the lack of footnotes, I did not feel that a full rating was deserved as the book currently stands. I can definitely recommend this book to just about anybody who is looking to get more knowledge on the “green” movement, or just anybody who wants to delve a bit deeper into our interrelationship with this world we live on and the beings we live on it with.

Pseudo-Green Leftism and True Green Conservatism
View: on Bookshelves

Like rssllue's review? Post a comment saying so!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

Rachel Lea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep

Post by Rachel Lea » 08 May 2019, 22:02

I enjoy books that delve into the history of different political groups and I find the premise of Walker's Pseudo-Green Leftism and True Green Conservatism quite interesting. However, like you, I would have preferred if the author had always given sources for the data that he references. I think that is very important. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Post by kandscreeley » 09 May 2019, 09:27

I am interesting in the green movement, especially its history. I am not quite sure what to make of global warming. This would be informative. I'm just curious about how much political content this has, as I really try to avoid politics at all costs. I'll look into this one further. Thanks for a fabulous review. I always love seeing your name pop-up for the reviews.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by EvaDar » 09 May 2019, 12:18

This is a unique take on the green movement - exploring the ideologies and motivations vs. actions of groups of people. I would be interested in this angle. Thank you for the thorough and balanced review.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. -Scott Adams

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The Chemist: A Psychological Thriller by Stephanie Colbert

Post by Prisallen » 10 May 2019, 10:18

This seems like a very informative book on something that we should all be interested in. Thank you for a wonderful review!

Mr Benji
2019 Reading Goal: 59
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Mr Benji » 11 May 2019, 01:26

It is great to see from the review that the book has "answers" to common question about the environment.

It will interesting to find out what this read will provide on these questions.

Thank you for the review.
Wise men lay up knowledge
(Proverbs 10:14)

rssllue

Post by rssllue » 07 Jun 2019, 00:41

Rachel Lea wrote:
08 May 2019, 22:02
I enjoy books that delve into the history of different political groups and I find the premise of Walker's Pseudo-Green Leftism and True Green Conservatism quite interesting. However, like you, I would have preferred if the author had always given sources for the data that he references. I think that is very important. Thank you for your review!
I don't think that the importance of properly citing sources can ever be overstated.

Thank you for the feedback on the review too! :tiphat:

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

Nisha Ward
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading: Breach
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide to Zombies by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 07 Jun 2019, 07:52

Given the controversy over the Green New Deal as well as the Paris Accords, this book couldn't have come at a more needed time. Those who need insight into the effects and the arguments from all sides about the green movement would surely find this interesting, yes? Thank you for the review.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

evraealtana
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 17
Currently Reading: The Invisible Bridge
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by evraealtana » 09 Jun 2019, 02:16

The title on this one led me to believe there was substantial politics involved, but your description sounds as though that isn't the case. I think I might look into it. Thank you for your review.

ButterscotchCherrie
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Adult Children
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: I Believe in Fortune Cookies by Richard Yu
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 09 Jun 2019, 13:33

I always thought the Victorians caused a lot more pollution than we do. Apparently, it was hard to breathe in London in the 1950s. Interesting topic!

rssllue

Post by rssllue » 22 Jun 2019, 07:16

kandscreeley wrote:
09 May 2019, 09:27
I am interesting in the green movement, especially its history. I am not quite sure what to make of global warming. This would be informative. I'm just curious about how much political content this has, as I really try to avoid politics at all costs. I'll look into this one further. Thanks for a fabulous review. I always love seeing your name pop-up for the reviews.
Thanks for the great feedback on the review! 8)

As for the political content, it focuses more on the difference between how environmentalists have acted versus conservationists throughout recent history. It talks mainly about movements and ideologies and how they affect our planet and populace rather than beating us over the head with the kind of political environment we have had in the media for quite some time now. I definitely hear you on avoiding politics whenever I can!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”