Official Review: Coming Out: The Emergence of the Movemen...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading: Coming Out
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Coming Out: The Emergence of the Movement Lesbian by Sharon Raphael

Official Review: Coming Out: The Emergence of the Movemen...

Post by EvaDar » 27 Apr 2019, 16:48

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Coming Out: The Emergence of the Movement Lesbian" by Sharon Raphael.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For the United States, the 1970s brought the end of the Vietnam War, the resignation of a president, and revolutionary changes in social and political values. The decade also proved to be a pivotal time for people with non-traditional sexual orientations. It isn’t accurate to refer to a “GLBT community” when discussing this period, because there was not really a cohesive community then. Gay men and lesbians, long considered to be criminal, sexual deviants, were relegated to the threadbare fringes of the social fabric. That paradigm would soon begin to shift. In Coming Out: The Emergence of the Movement Lesbian, author Sharon Raphael, Ph.D. explores a transformative time when gay women (the terminology of the time) were beginning to “come out” and identify as members of a supportive social environment—the gay liberation movement.

In 1972 the author joined a “rap group,” a weekly gathering for Los Angeles lesbians. As part of her doctoral requirements, Raphael transcribed the women’s group interactions and interpreted them through the lens of sociology, focusing on the process of coming out, its effect on group and individual identity, and the personal and collective effects of being part of an emerging social movement.

Reading the transcripts invoked the intolerances of the time period: the bullying and lost friends, physical and emotional assaults, lost jobs, and the suicides brought on by the overall toll. Upon coming out to her father, one woman was called a “dirty queer” and beaten. Sadly, this was not rare. The alternatives were unfriendly; owning your “gayness” meant admitting to deviant, criminal behavior, and “going straight” meant living an imposter’s life. Joining a social/political movement enabled lesbians to see their experience reflected in others and feel a sense of belonging, maybe for the first time.

Being a scholarly work, Coming Out is presented with the expected front matter, as well as endnotes for each chapter. The introduction nicely summarizes the study and offers a bridge to present time. The sections covering the history of feminism, the detailed coming out process, and the activism that was the impetus for this movement held my interest completely. Raphael addresses myths and stereotypes that might surprise non-gay people, including the misconception that people in same-sex relationships are primarily organized around their sexuality. Lesbians in particular actually value connection and relationship primarily. I was pleased to see the complex issue of lesbian invisibility covered in the book. There is other research out there about the coming out process, but much of it focuses on gay men. This makes Sharon Raphael’s insider study of lesbians all the more relevant.

My Kindle copy of the book contains some formatting issues, though they are minor and do not detract from the message. There were several line break and spacing errors sprinkled throughout. Aside from this, the book appears to be professionally edited as I discovered very few errors. I recommend the book to students of sociology or psychology, and to anyone curious about the process of coming out. For lesbians and bisexual women, this book is a must for your libraries. The writing is very accessible, but if you are allergic to scholarly works, this is probably not for you.

Reading about shifting identity structures may sound a little academic—and it is—but Dr. Raphael’s research is compelling, and I think readers will find a personal way to relate to these stories and the impact of the liberation movements of the ‘70s. As a teenager then, I was beginning to discover that my sexuality was not so binary. Having lived the trajectory examined here, I appreciate Dr. Raphael’s historical look at a revolutionary time that gave rise to “the movement lesbian.” It marked a newfound social consciousness and a new infrastructure of support and purpose for many thousands of GLBT people. I gladly award Coming Out: The Emergence of the Movement Lesbian 4 out of 4 stars for its intimate, original research, historical importance, and comprehensive examination of the topic. Sociological inquiry will be gratified to count this work a part of its field of study.

Coming Out: The Emergence of the Movement Lesbian
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EvaDar's review? Post a comment saying so!
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. -Scott Adams

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Being Greta by Maxine Sinclair

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 06 May 2019, 05:11

Great review! Sounds like a great historical piece detailing the challenges faced by women who are trying to live their truth.

Brendan Donaghy
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Brendan Donaghy » 06 May 2019, 06:26

Sounds like an interesting read. It's perhaps a bit too scholarly for younger people, but books like this should be available in schools. The history we teach our kids should be collective and inclusive. Maybe that way we'd end up with a society without marginalised groups. Great review!

maggi3
2018 Reading Goal: 53
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by maggi3 » 06 May 2019, 17:22

I’m excited to pick this one up. GLBT history is looked over far too often, and we need more books like this to fight that.Thanks for the review!

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Meg98 » 06 May 2019, 20:29

This sounds like a very interesting read, as well as educational. The historical culture of GLBT is something that should be discussed much more often in my opinion, and from your descriptions, it seems the author has done a very good job discussing the many issues from the past. I will be checking out this book, great review!

EvaDar
Latest Review: Coming Out: The Emergence of the Movement Lesbian by Sharon Raphael

Post by EvaDar » 06 May 2019, 23:47

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote:
06 May 2019, 05:11
Great review! Sounds like a great historical piece detailing the challenges faced by women who are trying to live their truth.
Thanks so much for dropping by and sharing a comment!
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. -Scott Adams

EvaDar

Post by EvaDar » 06 May 2019, 23:51

Brendan Donaghy wrote:
06 May 2019, 06:26
Sounds like an interesting read. It's perhaps a bit too scholarly for younger people, but books like this should be available in schools. The history we teach our kids should be collective and inclusive. Maybe that way we'd end up with a society without marginalised groups. Great review!
Yes, I agree. What is taught in history class is never quite an accurate reflection of our diverse society. Thank you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.

EvaDar

Post by EvaDar » 06 May 2019, 23:53

maggi3 wrote:
06 May 2019, 17:22
I’m excited to pick this one up. GLBT history is looked over far too often, and we need more books like this to fight that.Thanks for the review!
Yes, it's a rich culture that deserves a place in our historical archives. Thank you for popping in and commenting.

EvaDar

Post by EvaDar » 06 May 2019, 23:56

Meg98 wrote:
06 May 2019, 20:29
This sounds like a very interesting read, as well as educational. The historical culture of GLBT is something that should be discussed much more often in my opinion, and from your descriptions, it seems the author has done a very good job discussing the many issues from the past. I will be checking out this book, great review!
There is more and more literature and history emerging and I hope that is able to continue. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the book. I hope you enjoy it if you check it out.

EvaDar

Post by EvaDar » 09 May 2019, 12:36

Brendan Donaghy wrote:
06 May 2019, 06:26
I forgot to mention that, even in the 70s when the paper was written, there were educational programs starting for middle-school-aged kids. Now, I think, education about LGBT issues unfortunately depends on the prevailing politics of the area. But there is quite a lot of history and attention to the demographic being taught in schools, in many areas.

CommMayo
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 45
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 110
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: The Morning Mind by Dr. Rob Carter III and Dr. Kirti Salwe Carter
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo » 10 May 2019, 11:30

Your review does real justice to a book about a very heavy topic. Sounds like this book fell into the right reviewer's hands.

T_stone
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 15
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading: Boy 2 Man
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Winning Baseball: A Simple Game of 10 by Les Gerdin
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 11 May 2019, 07:34

Reading about the history of LGBT in Coming out seems educational and informative. However, this is not in my area of interest. Thanks for introducing this!
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

EvaDar

Post by EvaDar » 11 May 2019, 23:41

CommMayo wrote:
10 May 2019, 11:30
Your review does real justice to a book about a very heavy topic. Sounds like this book fell into the right reviewer's hands.
It is indeed a substantial topic to cover. Thank you for dropping in and reading my review.

EvaDar

Post by EvaDar » 11 May 2019, 23:46

T_stone wrote:
11 May 2019, 07:34
Reading about the history of LGBT in Coming out seems educational and informative. However, this is not in my area of interest. Thanks for introducing this!
I appreciate you taking the time to read my review. :tiphat:

Dominic kimwele
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 130
Favorite Book: Strong Heart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110

Post by Dominic kimwele » 15 May 2019, 16:24

some years back I was like Tom, I hate morning clocks though I slightly changed. It's an interesting story for kids. I it's a well done job to the reviewer.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”