Review by Fazzier -- Toward Happier Choices

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Review by Fazzier -- Toward Happier Choices

Post by Fazzier »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Toward Happier Choices" by Michael Oborn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toward Happier Choices by Michael Oborn is the author’s memoir of how he battled his way out of pre-conditioned thinking. Born in a family devoted to the Mormon Church doctrines, the author was programmed to think in a certain way. Rarely did he make choices regarding his life on his own. If not his father or mother imposing on him what to do, then the church or cultural values. However, light dawned on him and he decided to take a new course of action, no matter how belligerent it seemed to his parents.

Michael Oborn uses this book to create awareness that institutions (family, religion, and government, among others) may sometimes brainwash children with retrogressive set of values. Through this book, he offers those who who are blinded by cultural oppression, a spectacle through which they can see the world in a different perspective. He condemns the choices that were made on his behalf before becoming bold enough to let his voice count. Besides, he explores practices of bibliolatry and institutional misogyny which leave their victims mentally ‘raped’ and debilitated. That way, this book has saved me from the author’s twenty-seven-years experience of living in fear; the fear of one becoming the captain of his or her destiny.

The author has divided this book into three parts. Through these sections, he narrates a couple of short stories on his journey torwards making happier choices, analysis of types of practices which oppress people, and some of the exceptional people in his life. All these parts marry perfectly in telling the author’s story.

There is nothing I disliked about this book. One of my favorite parts was when the author likened a child's mind at birth to a computer hardware. After interacting with his or her environment, the child acquires a new set of values (cultural software) which defines his or her life. I found this an eye-opener as it made me reevaluate the set of values I hold, and to start working towards extricating myself from the retrogressive ones.

Overall, this book was well edited, only for two minor typos I identified. I’m, therefore, glad to rate Toward Happier Choices by Michael Oborn 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to parents, teachers, human rights activists, and any other person who would like to take control over their lives.

Toward Happier Choices
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Fazzier's review? Post a comment saying so!
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I believe it is really important for us to seek making happier choices, as well as to recognise and avoid practices which oppress people. I just loved your review. It's so well written. Thanks.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

This sounds like an emotionally difficult, but interesting read.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

Although I didnt like the genre so much, I loved your review. I want to read this book.Thanks for sharing.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

Fantastic review of what seems to be a fantastic book! Words cannot explain my respect for those who overcome institutionalized thinking in favour of a more open-minded understanding of the world.
YL_Eytka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yl-eytka.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by YL_Eytka »

Thank you for the review, the book sounds very emotionally charged and a worth-while read
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Cultural values is not necessarily a synonym of cultural oppression. It is the right thing for parents to guide their children into embracing good values. That being said, there truly are retrogressive beliefs out there.I hope the author has a fine balance. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Fazzier

Post by Fazzier »

mmm17 wrote: 04 May 2019, 15:16 I believe it is really important for us to seek making happier choices, as well as to recognise and avoid practices which oppress people. I just loved your review. It's so well written. Thanks.
I'm so glad you stopped by and read my review. Thank you for your kind words!
Fazzier

Post by Fazzier »

Letora wrote: 04 May 2019, 20:00 This sounds like an emotionally difficult, but interesting read.
Yes it is and there are also many lessons to be learnt from the author's story. Thank you for commenting!
Fazzier

Post by Fazzier »

IamShing wrote: 04 May 2019, 21:48 Although I didnt like the genre so much, I loved your review. I want to read this book.Thanks for sharing.
I'm so glad my review has piqued your interest in this book. Thank you so much for stopping by, reading my review, and commenting!
Fazzier

Post by Fazzier »

BuzzingQuill wrote: 05 May 2019, 04:42 Fantastic review of what seems to be a fantastic book! Words cannot explain my respect for those who overcome institutionalized thinking in favour of a more open-minded understanding of the world.
I found it fantastic as it rejuvenated my thoughts. Thank you for having spared some of your time to leave a comment!
Fazzier

Post by Fazzier »

YL_Eytka wrote: 05 May 2019, 04:58 Thank you for the review, the book sounds very emotionally charged and a worth-while read
And thank you for your comment!
Fazzier

Post by Fazzier »

Cotwani wrote: 05 May 2019, 05:12 Cultural values is not necessarily a synonym of cultural oppression. It is the right thing for parents to guide their children into embracing good values. That being said, there truly are retrogressive beliefs out there.I hope the author has a fine balance. Great review!
I agree with you that cultural values and cultural oppression are not necessarily synonyms. I noticed that that the author also believes. He summed everything up by advising readers to question traditions and chun out retrogressive ones from good ones. From this comes the fundamental truth. Thank you for the comment!
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This is a great review! It seems everyone could benefit from reading this book, as it helps you to look more critically at how you've been conditioned so you can move forward in a way that's more true to yourself.
Fazzier

Post by Fazzier »

unamilagra wrote: 05 May 2019, 15:29 This is a great review! It seems everyone could benefit from reading this book, as it helps you to look more critically at how you've been conditioned so you can move forward in a way that's more true to yourself.
I agree that everyone can benefit from this book since each person in a way or the other holds to some pre-set values. By looking at them critically, retrogressive ones can be scrapped off. Thank you so much for your comment!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”