Review by Beate Levai -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Beate Levai
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading: the girl who knew da vinci
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beate-levai.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Review by Beate Levai -- The Unbound Soul

Post by Beate Levai » 23 Apr 2019, 13:42

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment

By Richard L. Haight

Genre: Non-Fiction
Kindle version of the 2nd edition
Released in 2016
207 pages

Richard L. Haight, a martial arts expert and spiritual teacher, describes his spiritual path in his spiritual memoir, The Unbound Soul, which has become a best seller and of which the 3rd and the new edition is already in the bookstores. The author intends this book for personal transformation and enlightenment.

While recalling his spiritual unfoldment in a relatable and straightforward way, the author gently guides his readers on the way towards enlightenment. He presents various meditation techniques to improve one's awareness. It is a multi-layered book including some life-changing revelations he received in a dream or otherwise, some tools and techniques to achieve harmony between body, mind, and spirit as well as his thoughts and teachings about the right attitude of seekers on their spiritual paths.

At the age of 8, Richard got a message from Jesus in a dream: "find my bones for they are the core of my teachings." The child made a promise that launched his spiritual seeking lasting for three decades. Many years later, in an outstanding mystic revelation, he had a glimpse into God's essence which he named "Isness."

The author spent fifteen years in Japan learning and practicing various kinds of martial arts. On a shamanic journey along the river Amazon, he received another outstanding revelation concerning humanity's future and his mission on Earth. Returning to Japan, he and his instructor worked out a new training method by combining the principles of two kinds of martial arts that were at once "a path to enlightenment, a therapy art as well as a self-defense art." They named it shinkaido, i.e., "open-heart path."

Richard returned home to the US where he taught martial arts and gave meditation classes as well. Two years later he met his former trainer in Japan where they continued practicing their shinkaido method. Richard gained a deeper awareness of intention, the mind, consciousness, and Isness. Back in the US, he holds meditation courses where he leads his students to an in-depth knowledge of inner harmony. By attaining high states of consciousness, he firmly believes that a paradigm shift occurs in human consciousness that will eventually result in ending aggression and hostility in the world.

The author's creed is that spiritual path is the way of simplification, "unbecoming" instead of becoming. Intentional tuning to consciousness and resolving to God's essence are of primary importance in spiritual unfoldment. It is the mind that creates disharmonious structures, and our task is to dismantle such structures to arrive at the point of pure consciousness.

At first, neither the title nor the cover design appealed to my attention. One more "soul-book," I thought. However, this book is a best seller, and it is not easy to stand out in the rapidly growing market of spiritual literature – I went on. It made me intrigued, and I raised the question of what the extraordinary was this book could offer. Reading from this fresh perspective, I found the book very interesting; mainly at those points I know almost nothing about, e.g., martial arts.

I read with interest the chapter of the author's frequency classification and his thoughts about the states of awareness in terms of frequency bands.

I especially liked the chapter about Teachers. It is about not only flesh-and-bone teachers and students but also about such qualities like authenticity, complacency, diligence; such principles as clarity and simplicity in training, as well as holding pure, benevolent intentions at all times. Also, these principles and qualities are valuable teachers polishing the character and soul alike.

I appreciate the insights the author shares about practicing martial arts and his unique meditation techniques, i.e., the Observation and Deconditioning Meditations as well as about the Dance of the Self. I found it interesting to read about such practicalities like pitfalls of practicing and caring for the physical body. Besides, I gained a bit more profound understanding of Tao.

Grammar, structure, typography: excellent.

The Unbound Soul can be a good read for everyone interested in spiritual unfoldment in general or in one's unfoldment in particular. In this latter case, however, it is not sufficient to read this book only once. The more times you read, the more useful insights you will find in it.

While I was reading this book, I was feeling clarity, peace, and space around me. Also, my fingertips were tingling as if I had held a paper book in my hands. When I read a Kindle book on my PC or tablet, this feeling occurs very seldom, and it is a sure sign that I like what I read. Therefore I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Beate Levai's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”