Official Review: Richard's Thoughts by Richard Fry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Richard's Thoughts by Richard Fry

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Richard's Thoughts" by Richard Fry.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"I'm not sure my entries here are making sense anymore. I wake up in the morning and have thoughts to enter here, and when I get up and am at the keyboard, all thoughts have escaped me."

Richard's Thoughts by Richard Fry is a journal-style memoir spanning close to seven years of the author's life after his traumatic brain injury as a result of a motorcycle accident. Fry relates the strong sense of God's presence and speaking the word "love" to him during his first waking moments. In dated entries, he chronicles his struggles with memory, communication, his relationship with his wife, and his healing process, allowing readers a glimpse of life with a TBI. He shares his faith, physical and daily activities, the therapy he received, and the frustration he experienced trying to adapt to his new life and circumstances.

Intrigued by reading the thoughts of someone who has experienced such a serious brain injury, I selected the book expecting to read the memoir at a leisurely pace. Truth be told, I found Fry's story fascinating and had a hard time putting the book down. His dated entries allow readers to follow his progress and the reality of dealing with the sporadic emotions he experienced at times. Some of the entries include scriptures for messages he planned to share with the local youth group or from personal Bible studies. While most of the entries are a few pages, some are only a paragraph or two, keeping the journal surprisingly fast-paced. Usually, Fry's entries are dated a day or two apart, but there are also instances when a few months pass, and once, over a year goes by before he resumes writing. However, the reason for the gap soon becomes apparent and does not detract from the book.

I particularly liked Fry's raw and transparent style of writing. Even when he conveyed his frustration in struggling to remember activities from his day and life before his brain injury, he effectively communicated his thoughts. The range of emotions Fry shared was eye-opening. His account of overhearing a conversation that repeated, "...love, love," and the realization that he was the butt of someone's joke was heartbreaking. However, he was equally honest about his "meltdown" moments with his wife, Amy, who occasionally distanced herself, as a result. Plagued with self-doubt about how to interact with others socially, his transparency and insecurities were relatable and evoked compassion.

Unfortunately, toward the end of the book, it becomes difficult to follow. The shift begins with a 10-page section titled "Richard's Memories," which is an abrupt departure from the dated entries. Fry shares memories from his childhood to a previous marriage, but they seem random and less focused. Since some of the memories are previously mentioned, the purpose of the change in format is unclear, but it does detract from the book, overall. When the dated entries resume, the pace never quite regains momentum, and a few times, Amy interjects by writing a few paragraphs. I disliked these excerpts because they didn't mesh well with Fry's writing and further disrupted the flow.

Also, based on the grammatical errors including incorrect verb tense and quotes without quotation marks, the book doesn't appear to have been professionally edited. For all of the above reasons, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy memoirs and inspirational stories. Fry's reflections on the Bible and related content will also appeal to Christian readers but may turn off those who dislike reading scriptures.

Richard's Thoughts
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
CharlizeGwapa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlizegwapa.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by CharlizeGwapa »

That sound so engaging since it is a memoir, it could be a lot beneficial to me.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

CharlizeGwapa wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 07:09 That sound so engaging since it is a memoir, it could be a lot beneficial to me.
Thanks for your comment.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've read other books about someone who has suffered from a TBI. It's eye-opening what they go through. I can understand how this one suffers a bit from organizational issues. Thanks for your thoughts here.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
InStoree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I can only imagine what a tremendous impact had on Richard's life this brain injury. It's totally understandable the unclear parts of the book. Considering the circumstances, the book seems to offer valuable aspects. Great review Cecilia, as always! Thanks!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 10:38 I've read other books about someone who has suffered from a TBI. It's eye-opening what they go through. I can understand how this one suffers a bit from organizational issues. Thanks for your thoughts here.
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

InStoree wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 11:02 I can only imagine what a tremendous impact had on Richard's life this brain injury. It's totally understandable the unclear parts of the book. Considering the circumstances, the book seems to offer valuable aspects. Great review Cecilia, as always! Thanks!
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Fry's story sounds fascinating. He must have gone through a lot because of the brain injury. Thank you for the review.
Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Janelle Juncos »

That's disappointing that the story wasn't engaging to the end. It sounds like.his experiences are really unique and I like that it has a faith component. Thanks for the review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Nyambura Githui wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 13:33 Fry's story sounds fascinating. He must have gone through a lot because of the brain injury. Thank you for the review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Janelle Juncos wrote: 20 Apr 2019, 15:33 That's disappointing that the story wasn't engaging to the end. It sounds like.his experiences are really unique and I like that it has a faith component. Thanks for the review!
Thank you for your comment, Janelle.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

This seems like a difficult experience for anyone, much more so, since as it's not really a temporary condition. I'm glad that he had God and family to help him through it. Use of the journal style as an outlet for frustration, or even simply for chronicling experiences and thoughts sounds like a great coping mechanism. Thank you for the insightful review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 21 Apr 2019, 08:27 This seems like a difficult experience for anyone, much more so, since as it's not really a temporary condition. I'm glad that he had God and family to help him through it. Use of the journal style as an outlet for frustration, or even simply for chronicling experiences and thoughts sounds like a great coping mechanism. Thank you for the insightful review!
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment. :tiphat:
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

So often a tragedy in one's life motivates the person to write about it. I admire the author's efforts to share his experiences with us. It may be less than perfect writing, but sounds uplifting. Thanks for the thoughtful review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”