Review by Varsha Pathiyil -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Varsha Pathiyil
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-varsha-pathiyil.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Review by Varsha Pathiyil -- The Unbound Soul

Post by Varsha Pathiyil » 16 Apr 2019, 14:26

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Unbound Soul by Richard L Haight is a biography and a guide book like none other on self-awakening, living a healthy, content, and peaceful life.

The Unbound Soul is divided into 4 parts by Haight. The first part reveals his personal experiences. He takes us through those important incidences in his life that helped him grow into a teacher and the lessons he learned on this journey are discussed in parts 2, 3 and 4. It is the story of a small boy, who started attending bible classes primarily out of curiosity and fear, finally to unveil the mysteries of his own life as well as of the entire universe.

In parts 2, 3, and 4 he introduces us to a wide variety of lifestyle practices. Few definitely worth mentioning includes a new form of meditation called the “Warriors Meditation” which hones your senses and contrary to the regular meditation, is practiced with the eyes open. Another practice is one that, which he calls “the dance of the self”, which helps the performer rid various negative energies in life. He talks about comfort zones, will power, the judicial use of psychotropics, and about eating and drinking right. He illuminates on how to teach, how to learn, how to exercise and how trusting your body can go a long way. He finally ends with a chapter on unconditional love.

The first thing I realized as I started reading this book is that you ought to keep an open mind. As precisely forewarned by Ziad Masri in the foreword, a lot of the encounters of the author are “beyond non-ordinary”. While reading the first part you might often have to take a deep breath, clear your head, accept it for what it is and move on. The better is yet to come.

As I read on, I felt that a lot of the encounters that Richard has gone through could have happened to a lot of us out there. But we shrug it off as a mere coincidence and never think twice about it. He, on the other hand, took the hint and here we are, with this beautiful book.

I loved how he talked about things that mattered and made sense. He simplified some of the Bible verses in a way that can be perceived by the practical minds of the 21st century. This needs to be appreciated and duly complimented. The usage of Merriam Webster Dictionary to define a word and then re-define it in his own way was quite unusual as well, although in a pleasant way.

He has introduced a number of new words in this book; the most important one being “Issness”. Although he clearly explains what each word signifies, it is a little difficult initially to get accustomed to these words. But I soon found out that these words bring out a meaning that best suits the reader's circumstances.

The only drag I felt was in part 1 when I felt as though the detailing of the encounters lacked something crucial. I just couldn’t connect or relate or understand what exactly was happening. There were times I wished it was explained better. But the experiences not being mine, I can only hope the author conveyed what he experienced, the best he could.

Overall, I would rate the book 4 out of 4, for the impeccable editing and writing skills. Being such a philosophical and deep read, it held my attention throughout and often I paused to ponder over the words.

The Unbound Soul is many things, but above all, it is a guide book. It is the kind of book, you take your time with. And each time you read, you learn something new. I recommend it all those who enjoy reading philosophical and spiritual books and to those who are looking for a change of lifestyle. But those who fight the urge to roll their eyes at words like “soul”, “spirituality”, “enlightening” may want to stay off of this one.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Varsha Pathiyil's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”