Official Review: Standing Out by Angela Lee Chen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Re: Official Review: Standing Out by Angela Lee Chen

Post by evraealtana »

I usually don't care for memoirs, but this one seems funny and engaging. It also sounds like there are some deep concepts here to get the reader thinking - it might be worth a second look. Thank you for your review.
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by e-reeder »

This sounds like a beautiful memoir. It's very insightful. The part where the author talks about where she is from was great. I'll check this out. Thanks for the review.
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

Angela's life sounds like one adventure after the next. I like how the story feels like you are experiencing it with the author. Her family, the diverse cultures of their new homes, the whole story in general, takes the reader on a roller coaster of emotion and adventure. Indeed, you must find the one behind the adjectives. Thank you for an eye opening review.
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
AndersF
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AndersF »

This seems like an interesting book. The only concern that I might have is that often times I find memoirs to be filled with too much detail about the life of the author. I understand that it is important to the writer, and that some may find the background information useful for digesting the information, but personally I find it tedious to read unless I already have a vested interest in the life of the author. I do feel that the lack of chronological order might be interesting, as often the way an author pieces together a book is just as interesting as the books contents.
Josewizzyr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Josewizzyr »

Above average review! It must have been difficult for Angela having to leave places at a moment's notice. I haven't read many memoirs, but this one sounds like it would be entertaining!
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

Chen provides an interesting view of a multi-cultural upbringing. I think it underlines the fact that if you move from one culture to another, you are richer by twice and confused by watering down of a single strong you. Good review, thanks.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

Chen provides an interesting view of a multi-cultural upbringing. I think it underlines the fact that if you move from one culture to another, you are richer by twice and confused by watering down of a single strong you. Good review, thanks.
woz303mom
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts (New Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by woz303mom »

This memoir sounds interesting. I have no desire to read it moment. I am not in the mood. But at another time it might be a good read. The cultural differences and moving from and within countries might be interesting.
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

The author"s story seem interesting, I always wonder how it is to live while travelling. I like that tje author takes her time to record the culture of the countries she's been to. I'm not really into memoirs so I'll pass this one.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Angela's life seems like the perfect one to have for a memoir. I'm don't usually read memoirs though, so I'll pass on reading this one. Great review!
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

Standing Out by Angela Lee Chen is a memoir that explains her identity and her life. She was born in New York to Chinese parents. She lived her life mainly in Nairobi. She portrays how society is curious to know about one's past and present. It sounds like the reviewer has enjoyed reading this memoir. This well-edited book contains lots of life experiences. Congrats to the author on BOTD!
OliviaLouise
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivialouise.html
Latest Review: Pipo's Flag by Vic Cabrera

Post by OliviaLouise »

Wow, this sounds like a really interesting memoir. I don’t normally read a lot of memoirs, but this feels personally relevant as a biracial American. I’m definitely excited to read this one!
meraki_eternal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by meraki_eternal »

After reading the sample of the book Standing Out by Angela Lee Chen, i felt that there is almost a frustrated longing that leaps off the first few pages of the book - it is one part a desire to belong, but then again, not really. The author hangs between her experiences of different cultures and the stories she has lived through each one, but reading between the lines, the reader will realize that although her little self was dragged around places and initiated into long customary journeys, part of her is thrilled by the anticipation that other people show with regards to her story. Standing Out felt like it was about acknowledging that space within oneself that asks, "What is the meaning of connection?"
Bella Hough
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bella-hough.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Bella Hough »

Personally I'm not usually a huge fan of memoirs, but this one sounds really unique and well-done. I love any book that centers so much around family - great review!
"Never make fun of someone if they mispronounce a word. It means they learned it by reading."
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

This sounds like an interesting book! I wish the story was told in chronological order though.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”