Official Review: Standing Out by Angela Lee Chen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellie_D
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellie-d.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Re: Official Review: Standing Out by Angela Lee Chen

Post by Ellie_D »

Your review is great it describes the book very well. I don't usually read memoirs but this an exception.
Esther womulabira
Currently Reading: The Life and Times of a Black Prince in America
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-womulabira.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Esther womulabira »

LV2R's review of Standing Out by Angela Chen is very well written. It has just enough intriguing allusions to events in the book to make me extremely curious. I like memoirs so I will read this.
Thanks LV2R for really arousing my interest.
EWomulabira
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It is nice that the author points out that things can describe us, but they aren't necessarily who we are. Traveling all around with her family must have been quite the experience. It would be very frustrating for me if I didn't know where I would be going at any given moment, so I can't imagine how that must of felt for the author and the rest of her family. It looks like the stories included vary in emotion, which is always good in a memoir. Glad you found the stories have come alive in the first-person point-of-view. The description of culture sounds great and I'm glad that the book was well-written. It's great you enjoyed this humorous memoir. Thanks for sharing!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
chelskay13
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chelskay13 »

Standing out by Angela Lee Chen
I was unsure about it at first because it is not the typical book I would read, but as I continued to read more of it I was simply intrigued by how she described the places she grew up and the many questions of where are you from. The emotions behind the words she uses make the book for captivating and makes me want to continue to read more. I really enjoyed the half that I read and I plan on saving it to read more. - Chelsea
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

I really loved the sample of this book. Cross-cultural experiences are so interesting and enlightening, and Angela seems to be a well-versed traveler. I am also from many different places (although around the US, not the entire world) and struggle when people ask "Where are you from?" It is a nonchalantly intended conversation starter, but causes some anxiety for us as respondents. I have many multiracial friends who are very offended by this question and experience similar emotions as Angela described at the beginning of the book. I am excited to see how she resolves this and frames her own identity. Thanks for an excellent review!
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
ShiRah185
Currently Reading: Knowing He's There
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirah185.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio by Belle Ami

Post by ShiRah185 »

Re: Official Review: Standing Out by Angela Lee Chen
by: ShiRah185

I'm sure there is a wealth of knowledge to be gained from this book. However, I prefer to shy away from memoirs.
Great review though.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

Wow this book sounds amazing! Your description of it makes me want to read the book, especially since I'm really curious now how her brothers came into the family. Very well-written review!
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Standing Out is Angela Lee Chen's memoir about being born in the United States to Chinese parents and living most of her childhood in Nairobi, Kenya. I like that she describes everyday life in China and in Kenya. She has seen a lot of the world since her father worked for the United Nations and moved the family often. Congratulations to the author for being chosen as BOTD. Thanks to the reviewer for your review. You did an excellent job.
graceful-1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-graceful-1.html
Latest Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Post by graceful-1 »

I can totally relate, coming from a military family. We moved around a lot and people are always asking where I'm from because of my accent. And I agree with the author that these places are "not who we are" but just a part of our life.
Emmylites90
Currently Reading: The Rebellion (The Legend Of The Soul Stone #0 - Prequel)
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Emmylites90 »

The story was a fantastic one indeed, it is beautiful and quite a touching story. The constructions and the descriptions in the book was awesome. The story wasn't a fiction but a real fact. Nice review
Wabbyrn
Currently Reading: The Lost Girls of Paris
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Wabbyrn »

Enjoyed reading your review and believe I would enjoy this memoir. I especially like that it is written in first person. Reading to me is like escaping into the lives of the characters I’m reading about. I am intrigued by the fact the family had to be ready to move at a moments notice. I would imagine that would be a difficult task
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

I am alwayd fascinated by language, food and culture. In that case I'd say the author has had the time of her life just to experience new things.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

This seems to be a diverse memoir.

Thank you for the great review.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I love books that bring personal and new stories about someone life. The different cultural part of her life is specially intriguing. Great review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

Great review! I'm not one for memoirs, but this one definitely sounds like a solid read. Angela sounds like she has had an interesting life and I really would like to know the story of when and how her brothers had come to her life

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”