Official Review: Standing Out by Angela Lee Chen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Official Review: Standing Out by Angela Lee Chen

Post by Manang Muyang »

She looks Chinese, but was born in America, grew up in Kenya, and returned to America for college and beyond. Where she is from is complicated. Angela proposes skipping the adjectives, learned wisdom from Professor Cheng. I'm curious about Angela's life story.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

This sounds like quite to the intriguing non-fiction novel. I'll keep this in mind for a later read. Thanks for the insightful review.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
kmwarren20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmwarren20.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by kmwarren20 »

I wonder why the author chose to write the memoir out of chronological order. Personally, this style does not appeal to me. Interesting review!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

What an interesting and eclectic life! It certainly sounds as though her dad kept the family in suspense- never knowing when or where their next move might be. Great review!
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Thanks for the great review. I enjoyed the author's account of explaining where she is from, at the beginning of the book. After reading your review, it sounds like there is a lot of information to be learned about different cultures. Not many of us have a chance to learn about different cultures first-hand in our lifetime. Although it must have been difficult growing up and having no warning before packing up and moving to a different country, I'm sure as the author looks back she realizes the impact experiencing the diverse cultures has had on her life.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1427
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is my kind of book! There is always something to learn from the stories people share about their lives, families, loves, and experiences. I cannot wait to travel alongside Angela on her personal journey and soak it all in! Thank you!
Luna Fortis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Luna Fortis »

Too bad I read the sample on amazon but.. so far it is a very interesting book. I kind of liked it's message - embracing one's own uniqueness, learning from it in order to be the odd one. Human beings tends to forget that our unique feature is a strength that no one else could understand. Instead of feeling ashamed of it, we should learn to accept it, to be the oddball.
OK 22nd
Currently Reading: Before We Died
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by OK 22nd »

I like the book moreso the way Angela explains the difficulties that she hadto go through in answering the questions about where she is from, the straight forwardness of the author makes the book intresting and enjoyable. The review also is great thanks about.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

"Standing Out" by Angela Lee Chen seems like an interesting memoir. The reflection cross-cultural background and experience makes it unique and appealing.
The-happy-reader-7
Currently Reading: Mirror Mirror
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-happy-reader-7.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by The-happy-reader-7 »

Your review has sparked my interest in this book. I enjoy memoirs and I am always interested in learning about different cultures. This book sounds fun, entertaining and informative.
SavannaEGoth
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannaegoth.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by SavannaEGoth »

Despite having recently read and reviewed a memoir, I normally am not a fan of the genre. I do like the chance to peer into the life of someone with such a rich, cultural background seeing as how the author moved around so much and had a pretty unique upbringing, but other than that I don't think this book would be for me. I'm still very happy to see that such a passionate piece was seen through to completion, however, and I think they are very deserving of their spot on Book of the Day.

Thank you very much for reading and writing your review!
"I'm going to die whatever you do, but I'm not afraid."
- Yellowfang Warriors: Rising Storm
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

Another way of looking at l8fe is through experiences. Some may find memoirs boring and without taste. However, they contain insights and knowledge that you may never gain through your own vantage point. Nice review.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Exploring Nairobi, places in China, Korea, and Japan through Chen's eyes, and learning the customs, rituals, and celebrations sounds like a book I want to read. Thanks for the great review!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A funny anecdotes filled memoir of the author in the book "Standing Out" by Angela Lee Chen, which depicts her cultural experiences, and about her Journey of Self-Discovery.She was born in New York to Chinese parents, and grown up in Kenya which shows her cross cultural experience.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

I love memoirs about extraordinary lives of interesting people. Even better if it has a multicultural background. I'll definitely keep this book in mind.
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”