Official Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Official Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I once had a Farm in Ireland" by Siggy Buckley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ok, people, let's get this started! I know you must be wondering why a German city girl then a high school teacher moved to Ireland. I lived my life on the fast lane, had a classy home, and loved spending my evenings in a coffee shop: so what was I doing on an Irish farm?

Living The Organic Lifestyle was a big deal to my then-husband who was a CPA. We had a strong leniency toward the Green party and were concern about the deteriorating environmental conditions, especially after the nuclear disaster. Ireland became the land of his dreams, but I knew nothing about Ireland. As any supportive wife does, I stood by his side, but life turned out to be wholly unexpected. Farms in Ireland are alluringly beautiful, yet the lifestyle consists of never-ending work. We produced a variety of food while learning new skills to make a living. It can be somebody’s dream, but a nightmare for others: this is a memoir of a farmer’s ex-wife.

I Once Had a Farm in Ireland will give you a candid account about the story of a city family emigrating from their home country to the sticks of Ireland in search of a better life. Siggy Buckley exposes the utmost truth about farming life: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Written in the first person's perspective, it's a 236 pages read that consists of 78 short chapters plus an epilogue. Readers who have a keen interest in rural theme, country life, and an honest outlook will find this read refreshing.

Taking us back to the 1970s, Buckley relates the economical, political, and social issues that compelled them to leave Germany. Buckley noted historical references that took place in West Europe: the fall of Berlin Wall, religious conflicts between Protestants and Christians, Chernobyl's nuclear disaster, and the post-Cold War tensions. Readers can observe the vast cultural, weather, lifestyle diversity between Ireland and Germany. Readers who had direct, eye to eye, experience as Buckley will find themselves on equal grounds.

Using a direct communicational tone, Buckley welcomes her readers to be her prime witnesses throughout her life spent in Ireland. Buckley used Irish slang as a means of communicating the Irish culture, such as, my arse in parsley. Unlike a general memoir, it's an eloquent read that acts as a personal guide for farming which proves to be insightful. The first chapter, How It All Started, gives a brief synopsis about Buckley's life during her stay in Ireland. The follow-up chapters giveaway a more elaborate account on when, where, how and why. This read has its surprising moments and fair share of humor, such as,
A neighbor brought us the new pup when it was about eight weeks old. We named her Brandy, “So, will the next one be called Whiskey?” (p.63)
This could be anyone's story from personal growth to awareness, that deserves 4 out of 4 stars. Buckley's effort to embrace change is admirable which doesn't come so easily to others. Its spot on, effective nature makes it easy for its readers to accumulate information on agriculture and farming: most advantageous read. Interestingly, readers can observe the farm's workload gradually overshadow Buckley's life indirectly losing her identity. It was an eye-opening reading experience that took its readers to a different era. I admire her effective writing style: her ability to give life to her words is evident, making it realistic. You may find the questions left as breadcrumb trails at the beginning answered by its suspenseful ending. Buckley was kind enough to include some of her organic gourmet recipes which were delightful. She recommends The Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency by John Seymour as a bible for readers interested in farming.

I wish to exercise the importance of including a List of Contents: gives a proper layout and direction. It would have been a beautiful and heartwarming value-addition if Buckley could include pictures about her time spent in Ireland. I noted Buckley used the term produce over product in certain sentence which puzzled me, such as, "We produced our own food: grew every kind of produce you can think of "(p.8). It's notable that this is a well-edited read, but contained minor typo errors. The message conveyed by Buckley to her readers:
Don’t live somebody else’s dream! You can support someone you love but not to the point you deny yourself your own needs and dreams.
I once had a Farm in Ireland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Ireland certainly seems like a beautiful country. I would love to learn more about it as I don't know much. This sounds like a lovely memoir. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 14:02 Ireland certainly seems like a beautiful country. I would love to learn more about it as I don't know much. This sounds like a lovely memoir. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.
Thank you for stopping by!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 2386
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

It must be so hard to make such a drastic change! I grew up in a huge city and I can't imagine how life-changing it must be to suddenly move to a farm. I think we all struggle with change, but it's often enriching. This must be a very inspiring read, considering the last quote you use. And I'd love to learn more about Irish culture.
Thanks!
Sahani Nimandra

Lunastella wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 07:27 It must be so hard to make such a drastic change! I grew up in a huge city and I can't imagine how life-changing it must be to suddenly move to a farm. I think we all struggle with change, but it's often enriching. This must be a very inspiring read, considering the last quote you use. And I'd love to learn more about Irish culture.
Thanks!
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

I always love your review introductions. They draw the reader in! This sounds like a really good, solid slice-of-life piece with a lot of insights. Thank you for this candid, thorough and clear review!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Sahani Nimandra

nooregano wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 12:11 I always love your review introductions. They draw the reader in! This sounds like a really good, solid slice-of-life piece with a lot of insights. Thank you for this candid, thorough and clear review!
Thank you so much for commenting! I'm glad you found it to be so.
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

Not only a memoir, but a journey of self-discovery by the author. Her message seems to be a powerful one that many woman sacrifice their own dreams to support another's. Thank you for the great review. I'll look out for this one.
Sahani Nimandra

Ronel_Steyn wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 02:50 Not only a memoir, but a journey of self-discovery by the author. Her message seems to be a powerful one that many woman sacrifice their own dreams to support another's. Thank you for the great review. I'll look out for this one.
I'm glad you found it to be so. Thank you for stopping by!
unamilagra
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

It's nice when someone can take a memoir of self-discovery and write it so it reads like a suspenseful novel. I like that it included historical elements from the times as well. Great review!
Sahani Nimandra

unamilagra wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 18:58 It's nice when someone can take a memoir of self-discovery and write it so it reads like a suspenseful novel. I like that it included historical elements from the times as well. Great review!
Glad you found it to be so. Thank you for stopping by!
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

This sounds like a nice, realistic memoir! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review - very nicely done!
Sahani Nimandra

allbooked+ wrote: 05 May 2019, 13:38 This sounds like a nice, realistic memoir! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review - very nicely done!
Thank you for stopping by! :tiphat:
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Change isn't that bad as it is even often meant for the better. However, nobody could say that it would always be easy. Thank you for another unique review!
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Sahani Nimandra

Espie wrote: 09 May 2019, 00:01 Change isn't that bad as it is even often meant for the better. However, nobody could say that it would always be easy. Thank you for another unique review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”