Review by elizaron878 -- Beneath the Muscle

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
elizaron878
Currently Reading: The Copyist
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizaron878.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Review by elizaron878 -- Beneath the Muscle

Post by elizaron878 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Beneath the Muscle" by Lauren Powers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review Of Beneath The Muscle: Unleash Your Inner Champion By Lauren Powers.

Lauren Powers’ smile is radiant as she poses before the camera. She exudes confidence, warmth, and success, is dressed in a white gown and adorned in nice jewelry. Looking at her, one cannot tell the kind of obstacles she has had to surmount to be successful and famous. Through her autobiography;]Beneath The Muscle: Unleash Your Inner Champion the truth about this unique and interesting woman, is revealed.
Lauren was born in December 13, 1961 to a young love struck teenage couple. Her parents’ marriage was short lived, ran its course when Lauren was just a three year old tot. Young Lauren and her mother relocated to the Eagle Rock area of Los Angeles, to live with her grandparents. This move proved beneficial for Lauren, because the result was, she enjoyed a “healthy and secure childhood” in the loving bosom of family. Hers was a family with strong women, who influenced her life in a tremendous way.

Lauren was a focused, ambitious, achiever, from the onset. Her strong, indomitable personality, appears to have played a major role towards shaping her destiny. In page 236, Lauren herself states that, she “has an innate drive to excel.” And in page 240, she writes,” I am always looking to win when in competition and that’s the way I am wired.’

This strength of character was evident from childhood, in the manner with which she exerted herself at school and acquired good grades. The same can be said of her life in high school, where Lauren was actively involved with the Pepsi skate boarding team. She stayed focused and was able to juggle sports and her studies never suffered.

Lauren’s next stint in life was in Hawaii where she studied business. Thereafter she embarked on an unconventional life, and pursued many different ventures, among them, business, event planning, and firefighting/engineering.

For me, what was most impressive about Lauren’s life story was when she ventured into body building at the age of forty. She did not settle for mediocrity in this industry, but worked her way to become one of the most publicized body builders in the world.
What I liked most about this book, was the way it inspired and spurred me into action. I have never been one for schedules, but I am currently trying to incorporate schedules into my life. I am trying different approaches in problem solving, as well. I also the way Lauren connected her experiences with several principles, and the quotes from famous personalities at the beginning of every chapter.
Truth be told, not everyone who reads this book, will become as famous and successful as Lauren. But through her life story, we can all receive some inspiration as we journey towards our own definition of success.

This is a book I intend to read from time to time. It is professionally edited, and has no errors and deserves a rating of 4 out of 4 stars

Beneath the Muscle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like elizaron878's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”