Review by Nicole_Boyd -- The Biblical Clock

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Review by Nicole_Boyd -- The Biblical Clock

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In this informative narrative, The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedma with Daria Sheldon offers a compelling case for the age of the universe. Friedma attempts to reconcile science and faith in this thought-provoking book.

Each chapter begins with a narrative where the author brings to life different people who have researched and attempted to find out the exact age of the earth and universe through the teachings of Kabbalah and science. Over the years, scientists have had a hard time reconciling the measurements they have found for the age of the universe as being billions of years old, while some religious people argue that the earth is only a few thousand years old. How can we know what is true? The author believes that faith and science complement each other rather than contradict.

Friedma believes that we can know exactly how old the earth is and even predict when the end of days will come. He does not, however, give an exact date of the end of time, rather he weaves a tale of what the end of days could look like and an approximate date when it could occur. But you will have to read the book to find out more about that.

I enjoyed this book immensely, and even though I don’t agree with everything the author brought forward, my interest has been sparked and led me to want to research the scriptures and scientific findings for myself. I appreciated how Friedma stayed away from assigning an exact date for the end of days, citing the scripture that says, “no one can know the day of the hour.” Many others before him have made the mistake of predicting an exact day and of course, they have all been wrong.

As a Christian, I have a slightly different view of the events of creation and end of days prophecies that were cited in this book. For example, the author explains that before the end comes, the Messiah will appear and usher in the end of days. I believe that the Messiah has already come, Jesus Christ, and that his second coming will usher in the end times.

These differing viewpoints did not detract from my enjoyment of the book. I do not claim to know everything and I read this with an open mind. It has spurred me on to deeper research of the Bible and science. I also believe that science proves the events in the Bible, even if I don’t agree with this book on everything in how it proves it. But that is no matter. It’s extremely interesting to see others’ viewpoints and this would be a great book for those who enjoy science, religion, and history.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I found only 3 minor errors and the book looked to be professionally edited. The stories were compelling and the facts were laid out in a way that was easy to understand. I would recommend this book to those who like history, religion, and science. It will spark your imagination and you may find yourself wanting to delve even deeper into this subject.

The Biblical Clock
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nicole_Boyd's review? Post a comment saying so!
daviddawud
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daviddawud.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by daviddawud »

Although, I don't pretty like reading religious books but this sounds like a great one. Also, I don't quite agree with most of the author's ideas. Great review.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Girl A
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

Great review! So does the author believe that Jesus has already been born, crucified, risen, and gone to heaven? Or does he believe that is all yet to come? Thanks!
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

A contrast between religion and science is one of the things that croses my mind more often than not. The fact that the author notes that they complement each other make me want the book more. This review was awesome!
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Nicole_Boyd

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

Eclecticmama wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 21:36 Great review! So does the author believe that Jesus has already been born, crucified, risen, and gone to heaven? Or does he believe that is all yet to come? Thanks!
If I understand correctly, the author believes that there were many different times that Messiah could have come, but we messed it up as humanity. I believe he thinks that Messiah is yet to come (the first time) and this will usher in the end of days.
Nicole_Boyd

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 02:11 A contrast between religion and science is one of the things that croses my mind more often than not. The fact that the author notes that they complement each other make me want the book more. This review was awesome!
Thank you for your kind words. Yes the book is extremely interesting, I think you will enjoy it 😀
Nicole_Boyd

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

daviddawud wrote: 23 Apr 2019, 17:51 Although, I don't pretty like reading religious books but this sounds like a great one. Also, I don't quite agree with most of the author's ideas. Great review.
Yes I didn’t agree with them all either, but it was still very interesting. I think it’s fun to read things that aren’t my norm every once in a while. 😊
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: chip 4 by jens pindal

Post by Tomah »

I'm wary of these kinds of books since the reasonable-sounding rhetoric often serves as a smokescreen for arguments unsupported by evidence. Still, it wouldn't hurt to give this one a try in case it offers something genuinely valuable. At the very least, exposing yourself to different points of view is a healthy intellectual exercise. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: chip 4 by jens pindal
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Faith To Freedom by Dr. Keith L. Marshall

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

I also thought it was strange that Jesus wasn't even mentioned...

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”