Official Review: Empathetic Leadership by Michael Brisciana

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 136
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 626
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Hallowed Ground by Cindy Ziperman

Official Review: Empathetic Leadership by Michael Brisciana

Post by katiesquilts » 08 Apr 2019, 00:44

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Empathetic Leadership" by Michael Brisciana.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Michael Brisciana is an HR professional who has worked with numerous companies and non-profits throughout his career. In his book, Empathetic Leadership, he lists 47 tips for leaders to help them create and manage their teams, develop workplace culture, lead by example, mentor others, and manage their own career without burning out. At just under 200 pages, the book is a short read that will provide information for not just leaders, but anyone who is looking to improve their workplace environment.

At the start of the book, Brisciana is quick to mention that there are no new or hidden secrets being revealed in his book. Everything he writes is common sense, and anyone who works in a business setting has probably learned the same things in their college courses or from reading other how-to books in the business world. However, despite how easy or "obvious" some of Brisciana's tips may seem, many of us still find ourselves struggling at work. We know ways in which we can help ourselves or overcome obstacles, but sometimes we need reminders. Empathetic Leadership is the perfect quick read to achieve this.

I myself am not a leader, but I work for a start-up company where the executives and leaders take most of the responsibility and have their plates full bringing business in to make a profit, but are unable to actually manage tasks once the deal has been sealed. Before reading Empathetic Leadership I thought I could point out exactly where things are going wrong. I still know what the problems are, but now in my empathetic state of mind, I've realized that solving the problem won't be as easy as just pointing fingers. I also feel like I'll be able to do a better job training new recruits if we ever get any new additions to our team.

The tips in Empathetic Leadership are very short. Honestly, if I ever feel stressed about something at work, I will probably be able to whip it out, read a few pages, and feel calmer in less than ten minutes. Even if the information is not necessarily new to some people, there's no harm in being reminded. Brisciana's kind and gentle personality shines through in his writing, soothing the reader. Also, I loved the quotes that he included at the beginning of each chapter. However, some of his stories lack detail, seeming to end before they even begin. Also, I found a good handful of errors that easily could have been discovered by another round of proofreading.

Despite all of the points mentioned above, I enjoyed Empathetic Leadership and believe it should be required reading for all leaders. The only cons I could see in it were the grammatical errors and typos I found, which is why I give it 3 out of 4 stars. As I mentioned earlier, I am not a leader but I can easily see Brisciana's tips coming in handy in the future. I recommend that everyone read this book, no matter what profession you work in or where you are on the corporate ladder. In fact, it may be more useful for young employees than those who have experience leading, so that they can prepare themselves for if and when they find themselves in a leadership position.

Empathetic Leadership
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!

ElizaBeth Adams
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ElizaBeth Adams » 12 Apr 2019, 06:42

This sounds like a good desktop resource for anyone working in the business world. The cover is appealing too, so it could brighten up your space just by being there. Thanks for the great review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 31
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Vigilatus by Brenda Heller and Jimmy Adams

Post by kandscreeley » 12 Apr 2019, 07:42

While it doesn't sound like there's anything extremely new or different in this book, it seems like it would be a good reminder of basic principles we already know. Thanks so much for the review on this one. I don't think I'm in the market for a book like this at the moment, but I'll keep it in mind for the future.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Danak
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Danak » 12 Apr 2019, 13:55

I believe it is important to acknowledge the different leadership styles and approaches that people around us may have. This book would be beneficial to show the different ways to look at situations and have different perspectives on the way leadership is portrayed.

Radiant3
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Radiant3 » 12 Apr 2019, 16:59

This book could be a useful tool to help those employed in leadership roles. They can use the information to help them reframe their ideas. A new way to apply what they might already know. Thank you for the thorough review. :)
"You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book." Dr. Seuss

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Orope the white snake
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Scary Spring: Our Polio Fright of 1955 by C.A. Hartnell

Post by kdstrack » 13 Apr 2019, 14:34

I appreciate your comments about how the book helped you empathize with the leaders at your work. This book would be a handy review from a unique perspective. Thanks for your review of this book.

Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Janelle Juncos » 13 Apr 2019, 20:24

As someone who has both been a boss and had two pretty toxic bosses, I think the world needs more basic leadership skills, and I think we can all agree it needs more empathetic people. Great review!

Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 14 Apr 2019, 07:28

Great review! I liked that you mentioned the author did not claim to have any new tips, and it is just a reiteration of information that is already around.

Great for people in the business field looking to gain some leadership skills!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”