Official Review: GCo2de by LaJayzia Gulley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Lynched by the Law by Anthony Parker

Official Review: GCo2de by LaJayzia Gulley

Post by Cecilia_L » 07 Apr 2019, 16:16

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "GCo2de" by LaJayzia Gulley.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As a genius biochemist, Simon creates a drink that he names the “G Code.” With the high demand for the extraordinary cocktail, Simon discreetly sells it while living a life of luxury. He unwittingly attracts the attention of a local drug lord, Zino, who wants in on the action. When Simon refuses, he is wounded and winds up on Kristian's doorstep, disrupting her simple life. Meanwhile, Detective Quintanilla is determined to discover the origin of the underground cocktail. He is convinced Kristian may be the key to lead him to the elusive creator of the mystery drink. G Co2de by La'Jayzia Gulley is a story of power, greed, revenge, and jealousy. Can Simon and Kristian start over fresh or will the past come back to haunt them?

An organic cocktail that not only provides a high but also possesses healing and restorative results is certainly an intriguing premise for a book. However, truth be told, the concept of a drinkable fountain of youth is the only thing I liked about the book. Overall, the story glorifies drug use, minimizes domestic violence, and objectifies women. To top it off, the controversial colloquial term, "nigga," is distastefully tossed around.

I found it impossible to connect with any of the characters. The author assigns distinct physical traits to different characters, but their similar personalities are only variations of Kristian and Simon. The female characters are portrayed as shallow women who are willing to use their bodies as a means to an end. Their male counterparts, though abusive and unfaithful, are forgiven time and time again, after empty promises and extravagant gifts.

Also, the living arrangements are dysfunctional and unrealistic; at times, several couples plus a few friends live under the same roof. Men ordering women around and grown women engaging in knock-down-drag-out catfights are the status quo. Unfortunately, the emphasis on toxic relationships overshadows any promise of an engaging plot. Most disappointing is that the characters seem more than content to perpetuate the dysfunction rather than seeking to improve their lives. Ultimately, priority is placed on obtaining wealth and material things; people and relationships aren't valued.

The book is in dire need of a professional edit. There are grammatical errors on most pages; I counted over 200 in the first chapter. Many sentences started with a lowercase rather than a capital letter, which was distracting. Also, the book is 345 pages but only consists of 4 chapters, making them excessively lengthy. I should also note that although the book is classified as suspense, there is a disproportionate amount of crude and sexually explicit content. Due to all of the above reasons, I rate the book 1 out of 4 stars. I can't honestly recommend it to anyone in its current state.

GCo2de
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!

ElizaBeth Adams
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ElizaBeth Adams » 10 Apr 2019, 06:39

Thank you for your very thorough review. It sounds like attempts to include intense drama pulled the reader away from the main thrust of the plot. This does not sound like an enjoyable read.

Bianka Walter
2019 Reading Goal: 45
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 42
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 127
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f**k
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Every Ghost Has Its Story by Lynda Marie Austin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bianka Walter » 10 Apr 2019, 07:06

Yep, this is definitely one to skip.
Nothing in this book sounds very pleasant at all!
Well done on getting through it.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 31
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 266
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Vigilatus by Brenda Heller and Jimmy Adams

Post by kandscreeley » 10 Apr 2019, 07:49

Wow! I can tell already this is not one I would enjoy. Glorifying drug use, women objectified, questionable names used. I'll pass, but like you, I do like the idea of a drinkable fountain of youth. Too bad it's not done well.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Orope the white snake
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Scary Spring: Our Polio Fright of 1955 by C.A. Hartnell

Post by kdstrack » 10 Apr 2019, 14:47

I was wondering how one chapter could have 200 errors until you said the book only had four chapters. That would be something you could not know before receiving the book. Great job, Cecilia. I admire your perseverance!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 10 Apr 2019, 14:58

ElizaBeth Adams wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 06:39
Thank you for your very thorough review. It sounds like attempts to include intense drama pulled the reader away from the main thrust of the plot. This does not sound like an enjoyable read.
I appreciate your comment, ElizaBeth.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 10 Apr 2019, 14:58

Bianka Walter wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 07:06
Yep, this is definitely one to skip.
Nothing in this book sounds very pleasant at all!
Well done on getting through it.
Thank you, Bianka. :tiphat:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 10 Apr 2019, 14:59

kandscreeley wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 07:49
Wow! I can tell already this is not one I would enjoy. Glorifying drug use, women objectified, questionable names used. I'll pass, but like you, I do like the idea of a drinkable fountain of youth. Too bad it's not done well.
Exactly. Thanks for commenting.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 10 Apr 2019, 15:00

kdstrack wrote:
10 Apr 2019, 14:47
I was wondering how one chapter could have 200 errors until you said the book only had four chapters. That would be something you could not know before receiving the book. Great job, Cecilia. I admire your perseverance!
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.

Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 12 Apr 2019, 18:34

I always trust your reviews, and I think I will pass on this book! I really don't think I would gain anything by reading this. It would probably just make me angry.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 13 Apr 2019, 16:30

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote:
12 Apr 2019, 18:34
I always trust your reviews, and I think I will pass on this book! I really don't think I would gain anything by reading this. It would probably just make me angry.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment, Stephanie. I had to put the book down several times for that very reason!

B Creech
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-creech.html
Latest Review: Last words from above by Jeremy Brown

Post by B Creech » 14 Apr 2019, 04:21

I don't believe I would have been able to read the entire book! Thanks for the great review which gave a thorough overview of the book. It certainly is not one I would want to read due to the sexually explicit parts as well as the characterization of the men and women in this book! Also, the numerous errors surely made the book difficult to read! I admire you for being able to read it in its entirety!

daviddawud
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daviddawud.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by daviddawud » 16 Apr 2019, 16:22

When I saw the book, I was wondering what kind of title it is. From your detailed review, I now understand clearly how the title of the book came about. However, I don't think I will even attempt to read this book due to obvious shortcomings. Great review.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 17 Apr 2019, 06:26

B Creech wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 04:21
I don't believe I would have been able to read the entire book! Thanks for the great review which gave a thorough overview of the book. It certainly is not one I would want to read due to the sexually explicit parts as well as the characterization of the men and women in this book! Also, the numerous errors surely made the book difficult to read! I admire you for being able to read it in its entirety!
You're welcome. I appreciate your kind comments.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 17 Apr 2019, 06:26

daviddawud wrote:
16 Apr 2019, 16:22
When I saw the book, I was wondering what kind of title it is. From your detailed review, I now understand clearly how the title of the book came about. However, I don't think I will even attempt to read this book due to obvious shortcomings. Great review.
Thank you. :tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”