Review by CaptGage -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
CaptGage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-captgage.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Review by CaptGage -- The Unbound Soul

Post by CaptGage » 07 Apr 2019, 03:38

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Unbound Soul by Richard L Haight

The Unbound Soul is highly recommended for those who want to be spiritually transformed. Richard L. Haight gives us a lot to think about in this book, as he tries to help people in their spiritual journey by talking about his. We likely all have a spritual journey to take, so why not read this sort of book?

The first part of the book is autobiographical. Haight talks about his reaction to the idea that anyone who isn’t Christian being condemned to Hell. As he and his dad talk about it, he shows us the mutual love and concern between himself and his parents. One gets the distinct impression that whatever someone believes, it at least brought father and son together. It revealed to Haight that even the Bible has different versions that can be interpreted differently. His subconscious begins to have its interpretations, and they effect his beliefs. His father questions what’s loving about sending good people to Hell, which is actually a common question. It reminded me of people I’ve met that rejected Christianity for similar reasons.

Haight also explains his terminology to us. Naturally, this is quite useful. He uses words such as "isness" and “unfoldment,” and defines them for us. He also explains what realization means to him. This helps keep the book relatable and coherent.

Haight’s story of overcoming suicidal tendencies and feelings of worthlessness is the kind of thing anyone who ever thought their life had no purpose ought to read. You never know how many people books like The Unbound Soul could save and inspire. He goes on to tell us about what changing his mind about killing himself did for him and his social life.

In the latter section of the book, Haight tells us about the consequences of identifications, traumatic and otherwise, and their hazards. I found it quite informative, as it explains how an identification might unintentially escalate someone. I found it almost frightening, but nevertheless enlightening. It even has its heart-breaking moments, such as when he explained the occasional consequences of traumatic identications on friendships. It sounds to me like they can be quite a waste of life and productivity.

Lastly, Haight keeps his writing style unpretentious and to the point. He sets up the first part of the book with details about the environment in which he lived, but doesn’t go on and on.

What I liked most about The Unbound Soul is that it tries to give people hope by showing us how Haight overcame adversion to become a happier, fulfilled individual. What I disliked most was that some people might become a bit confused by some of the word usage. That was a quibble to me, though, as the book is nearly flawless. 

All in all, The Unbound Soul is an enlightening read for those of us that don’t get confused by his terminology. I rate this book 4 stars out of 4.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CaptGage's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”