Official Review: My Road Home by Michael Neil Cohen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: My Road Home by Michael Neil Cohen

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Road Home" by Michael Neil Cohen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Michael Neil Cohen's My Road Home: From Secular Jew to Anglican Priest to Fulfilled Jew in The Land of Promise is a non-fiction book that narrates the author's life story. This thought-provoking memoir chronicles the author's childhood, his troubled teenage years, his journey to priesthood, his life in Israel, among other topics.

The author was born in North London during the post-WWII years. Early on, he learned that being a Jew during the post-war years wasn't ideal. His father even changed the family name so that his children wouldn't live with the stigma of being Jews. As he grew up, the author developed an identity crisis. Since his family showed no religious inclination, the author could neither identify with the Jewish community, nor the ruthless nuns who ran his school. That set the pace for a journey of discovery which sent him to far away lands.

The author's candid tone sheds light on depression, and he also reveals some of his coping mechanisms. I empathised with him as I read through his dark times. His determination to better his life, enhanced by his open-mindedness, led him on a lifelong pursuit of excellence. I like that he also tackled the shift in family dynamics sparked by a member's conversion to a new religion. Readers who have faced similar circumstances will resonate with the author's words. I found it useful that the author highlighted significant events that occurred in the '80s and '90s as they provided a welcome history lesson. The book has an overall positive tone with occasional humour, and I'm glad that there isn't any self-pity.

I was most surprised by the author's decision to join the Anglican church since I didn't see it coming. His devotion to strengthening his spiritual life will inspire readers to reflect on their lives. He studied the Bible diligently and often contrasted Judaism to Christianity. Since the author spent most of his adult life working with religious organisations, he shares first-hand experiences that will come in handy for anyone seeking information about the workings of the Church of England. The text also contains occasional Bible verses, which aren't overbearing. Hence, readers who aren't familiar with scripture will have no trouble.

Although the author converted to Christianity, he never forgot his Jewish roots, and that is what I liked most about the book. It will appeal to readers who want to reconnect with or learn more about their culture. Readers in need of an entertaining and inspirational story that flows at a leisurely pace will also find solace in this book. Practising Christians will benefit from this book as the author explores the discrepancies between scripture and some of the church's activities.

Overall, the text is well edited. I came across two repeated paragraphs, but they weren't distracting. Besides that, there's nothing I would say I disliked about the book. I will, therefore, award it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars because it deserves nothing less.

My Road Home
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does seem that there are less stories that talk about Jews after the war than during it. I'm sure it was difficult to integrate back into normal life after such atrocities. This I would find very interesting. I can understand why the author had such a crisis. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by 8amaseter »

The crises in the author's life and how he dealt with it should be a school for thought, for others facing similar life situations. Great review.
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

Memoirs are usually moving. Then there's the contrast between Christianity and Judaism. These two are among the reasons I feel your rating must have been warranted. Thank you for such insightful review.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I am glad that this author chose to share his story. I agree with kandscreeley.
kandscreeley wrote: 11 Apr 2019, 07:47 It does seem that there are less stories that talk about Jews after the war than during it.
Memoirs from people who have lived through complicated times in history, and have somehow found a way to be better for it, are inspirational. Thanks for a great review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author has had an interesting spiritual journey - from his Jewish roots, to studying in a Catholic school, to becoming Anglican. The picture on the cover made me think this story would take a different path. His story sounds fascinating, so I will be eager to read more. Thanks for the recommendation.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I'm glad that, through research and reflection, he was able to find a religion that he believed in. This book sounds inspiring to read.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Thanks for mentioning that the book has a light-hearted feel, rather than the expected maudlin tone. Thanks for the great review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”