Official Review: Perspective Is Reality by Orlando Morel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: Perspective Is Reality by Orlando Morel

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Perspective Is Reality" by Orlando Morel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Perspective Is Reality, by Orlando Morel, gives an account of the author's life journey as a Haitian immigrant in America. At the age of six, Orlando and his mother boarded a small overcrowded boat bound for Florida, fleeing from the harsh political and economic conditions in Haiti. Afterwards, the boat was intercepted by the United States Coast Guard, and instead of being sent back to Haiti, Orlando's mother was separated from her son and taken to a hospital in Maryland, due to her health condition. Later on, Louise, her translator and a medical technologist who immigrated from Haiti many years ago, tracked down Orlando, and a few weeks later, he and his mother were reunited.

After a short while, Orlando's mother passed away, and Louise adopted him. She took good care of him; put him through school, instilled discipline in him, and ensured he made the right choices. Eventually, in spite of racism, identity crisis, and other life challenges, Orlando became an officer in the United States military and got engaged to his girlfriend in the White House. Actually, this publication reveals life in America from the author's point of view. According to him, some of the people he wrote the book for are "Black Americans who are or were called white and not deemed black enough throughout their lives." He encourages them, telling them not to mistake culture for race or let their skin color define them.

Perspective Is Reality is engaging and inspiring. It's fascinating and easy to read. I like the author's straightforward writing style. The narration is smooth and gripping. Being a short read, under 200 pages, I finished reading it in one day, and it was enjoyable and worth my while. From Orlando's life journey, I could see that anyone can become successful in life if they stay focused on their goals, no matter where they were born and the challenges that come to them. Included in the book are some photos which make the story more relatable.

This nonfictional book shows the tough life in Haiti before and after the 2010 Haiti earthquake. Also, it reveals Orlando's experiences as a Coast Guard. After telling his story, he examines racism and white privilege in America, stating that "black people do not hate white people. What black people hate is racism, white privilege, and the unjust system." Again, he tells that the book is for every race, especially blacks, to enable them to change the way they live. He advises them to respect others.

Overall, I rate Perspective Is Reality 4 out of 4 stars. I didn't rate it lower because it is intriguing. It contains some valuable life lessons, and it was well edited; I noticed only a couple of grammatical errors. I don't think there is anyone who wouldn't enjoy reading the book, except readers who don't like reading non-fiction books for personal reasons.

Perspective Is Reality
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!
Lungz_
Favorite Book: 50 Shades of Grey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lungz.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Lungz_ »

Sounds amazing. Thank you for the review.
Lungz_
Favorite Book: 50 Shades of Grey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lungz.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Lungz_ »

I am adding this one on to my bookshelf. I would definitely love to read it.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

This sounds like a fascinating story. I'd love to learn more about the woman who adopted him after his mom passed.
bigscarythingy
Currently Reading: Best Evidence
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigscarythingy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by bigscarythingy »

I like that the book comes from the perspective of a Haitian immigrant; this is a country oft overlooked by these kinds of accounts. I like the title as well: 'perspective is reality' has been a personal catch-cry for years. Great review.
"Go back to your books, and your armchair. Plant your trees, watch them grow. If more people valued home above gold, this world would be a merrier place."
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I would love to read Orlando's story. It sounds like he went through loads of adversity and came out of it better, not bitter. I am appreciative of his willingness to share and encourage others. Thanks for your excellent review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

That would be tough to be sure. I'm sure the environment in Haiti is much different than here. So you've got culture shock, but then your mom dies shortly after coming here? Wow! I'm glad the author went on to do something with his life. Sounds quite intriguing. Thanks so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Fleeing a country and adopting yourself to a new culture is life-changing. I wonder if he has ever thought about going back and searching for family. I enjoyed your fascinating review. Thanks.
Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Janelle Juncos »

I think the perspective of immigrants is something America greatly needs at this moment in time and I'm glad that this author's story ended well so that he had the opportunity to tell it. I was sick at the thought of him being separated from his mother and I'm glad that they were reunited, even if it was just for a short time. Thanks for the review!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This is an inspiring story showing that if you persevere you can succeed. Thank you for a good review!
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

It's hard to imagine and upsetting that Morel was separated from his mother at the tender age of six years old. Thank goodness Louise was able to find him and reunite him with his mom. Even more admirable, Louise was able to adopt Morel after his mom passed. I'm looking forward to reading his personal story. Thanks for the great review!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

This seems to be an interesting story about the struggle for survival between a mother and her son. I would specifically love to know more details about the adversities that Orlando went through and how he was able to come out of it stronger. Great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”